“Worst customer service experience in 20 years of staying in NY hotels, partially resolved.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of SIXTY SoHo

Save Saved
You added SIXTY SoHo to your Saves list
SIXTY SoHo
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   60 Thompson Street, New York City, NY 10012 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #221 of 452 hotels in New York City
Birmingham, AL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I spent several thousand dollars on rooms for myself and coworkers of my ad agency this week. The elevators on the property have been down all of Friday night and Saturday morning. I understand that emergencies happen, but the situation absolutely has not been treated with the levels of empathy, courtesy, and communication that are worthy of a four-star property. It simply did not dawn on Jeremy, the night manager, that he was responsible for the satisfaction and comfort of his guests.

I, a middle aged guy with high blood pressure, just had to scale 12 flights of stairs to get to my room. I am sweating and heaving and panting, and reaching for my iPad to tell you about it. I had to do this every time I wanted to reach my room. This was a health hazard for me, and a major inconvenience for my coworkers.

Despite my having been a regular customer of the hotel as far back as 2002, the night manager, Jeremy did absolutely nothing but hem and haw and pass the buck. He refused to discount our rooms (I think one night complimentary would be more than appropriate for our level of profound inconvenience) and either is not empowered to make decisions at this property (which should be addressed), or is simply not a good manager or person (which should be addressed).

You're welcome to read my reviews of other properties and you will see that I am normally very fair and generous in my reviews. This has been a profound disappointment and an exercise in misery. I will be sure that my friends in the tv production community are aware of my terrible experience here, and the profound lack of urgency in delivering any level of empathy, service, compensation, or satisfaction.

I hope that Barbara Lopez, the VP of operation of the hotel, is reading this, as this is the person that Jeremy (the night manager) passed the buck to after making no real attempt to deliver comfort, relief, empathy, compensation or satisfaction to the customers of this hotel.

I will say that the bellmen did the very best they could under the circumstances and were highly apologetic and that this morning, assistant manager Zoha Ghaffar displayed the courtesy and respect that were so sorely missing last night. She did comp our party one night which was an appropriate action.

That said, if you can't transport your guests to the 12th floor of your high-rise building, I am personally of the opinion that you are no longer a four-star hotel. You are offering 12th floor walk-up rooms, and you should close the hotel until you can offer a normal level of service. An elevator isn't a luxury. You'll find them at Red Carpet Inns and Microtels across America.

(This is an edited review. I upgraded from one star to two after being compensated for one night. While the rooms and location are nice, I feel very strongly that our highly negative experience and the drama required to obtain the most basic level of service and courtesy was unnecessary.)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Heidi E, Manager at SIXTY SoHo, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
First I would like to thank you for being such a loyal customer throughout the years and we appreciate your feedback.

The situation which occurred during your stay was very unfortunate and happened due to the bad weather condition and was unpreventable from our side.

The cold temperatures and the snow led to a broken pipe which unfortunately was out of our control and water went down the elevator shafts; therefore our elevators were not working. Our staff did everything possible to have at least one elevator working but as we also wanted to be sure of the safety of all our guests and employees it took some time to put them back in service.

I understand your frustration in how the situation was handled at the time of the incident but please be assured that this was addressed accordingly.

Furthermore I do hope that you will be coming back to Sixty Soho and please feel free to contact me directly at Hengelmann@sixtyhotels.com at any time if there is anything I may be of assistance with.

Sincerely
Director of Front Office

581 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

You cannot get a better location to stay in NYC and the staff is always very friendly. Unlike so many other hotels there is always someone there standing by to help with a door or your bags. On our last stay we were upgraded to a suite which was a nice touch. I wouldn't bother looking around at other hotels. Just go book it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Heidi E, Manager at SIXTY SoHo, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
From everyone here at Sixty Soho Hotel, we are delighted to read your glowing recommendation of our property. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

We are happy to learn that our staff was so helpful during your stay and that you were able to take full advantage of our prime Soho location.

We really look forward to welcoming you again in the near future
Director of Front Office
Maui
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I love the location the staff was amazing on every level very accommodating

BUT the hotel is dingy now it used to be smart and clean and fresh hope they clean it up as I d like to stay there more often the rooms were dingy as in they need a refurbishment new furniture feels old when its really not that o,d of a hotel I used to stay they alot mostly now its just for the location and the price - the restaurant and room service were great I think a good face lift is in order than it will be an excellent hotel again

Room Tip: The standard room is tiny as for an upgrade or book at least a king
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Heidi E, Manager at SIXTY SoHo, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time and writing a feedback.

I am very happy to share with you that we are looking forward to a total hotel refurbishment which we start at the end of this month.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back so that we may share our new look with you at its conclusion.

Please feel free to reach out to me any time to get more information about the renovations' process.

Sincerely
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Hotel is nicely decorated with spacious (for NYC standards) rooms and beautiful bathrooms. The bar in the lobby is a chill spot with fun music and not overly crowded. The staff was very nice and the rate was reasonable (again for NYC). In a great location if you want to shop in SOHO.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Heidi E, Manager at SIXTY SoHo, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
On behalf of the entire team at Sixty Soho Hotel, we would like to thank you for completing your great review on TripAdvisor.

Looking forward welcoming you in the nearest future - Heidi
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

I had a long business trip in New York and needed a hotel that was priced right, but that would offer a nice environment for 10 days. 60 Thompson was that and more. A nice staff, helpful reservation office and comfortable room made my long stay nice and easy. I also love being in the Soho neighborhood of Manhattan. It's a great place to walk around, find cool restaurants and shopping for everything from clothes, gifts and basic necessities. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a cool and reasonable priced hotel in the heart of Soho.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Heidi E, Manager at SIXTY SoHo, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
We are very delighted to hear that your stay was more than satisfactory. We are very proud of our staff and their dedication to perfection that drives this hotel has synonymous stories such as yours.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we are very much looking forward welcoming you back to Sixty Soho.

Best,
paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Everything is good in this hotel, the design, the staff's friendliness, the NY reservoir view from the room, the beautiful mosaic bathroom, the delicious cocktails in the bar, and the perfect location. There is nothing to fear in clicking yes to a reservation. It was my second time last weekend, and i will be back.

Room Tip: 12th floor room have ze view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Heidi E, Manager at SIXTY SoHo, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
We are happy to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us and were also able to take full advantage of our prime Soho location.

Very much looking forward welcoming you back in the nearest future.

Best,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed at this hotel over MLK weekend. The staff was attentive and paid attention to detail and our room was immaculate with comfortable beds. The problem was the HVAC. It was very hot when we arrived in our room so we set the thermostat to 65 and headed out for a few hours. Nothing had changed upon our return. We called the front desk and someone arrived with in five minutes to help us. Unfortunately, the help was in the form of opening a window. There is no way to adjust the thermostat in the rooms. The explanation was that there is one pipe and it only brings heat in the winter. The solution was to turn off the unit and open a window. Very frustrating as the black out curtains and sheers kept the fresh air from circulating in the room. We had a very hot and uncomfortable night. Would not return. Expected more from a $400 stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Zoha G, Front Office Manager at SIXTY SoHo, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
On behalf of the entire team at SIXTY SoHo Hotel, we would like to thank you for completing your review on TripAdvisor.

We are glad you were able to experience our exceptional service but regret to learn of the other disappointments you experienced during your recent visit.

At SIXTY SoHo we continuously strive to offer exceptional levels of accommodations, which in this case it appears we have failed to deliver.

We would welcome an opportunity to discuss the issues faced further with you and can be contacted at zghaffar@sixtyhotels.com

Kind Regards,
Zoha Ghaffar

Been to SIXTY SoHo? Share your experiences!