“Needs an update” 1 of 5 stars
Review of SIXTY SoHo

Save Saved
You added SIXTY SoHo to your Saves list
SIXTY SoHo
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   60 Thompson Street, New York City, NY 10012 (Formerly 60 Thompson - A Thompson Hotel) (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #224 of 451 hotels in New York City
San Francisco, California
“Needs an update”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed here a few nights for business as it was close to our NYC office - the room smelled of old cigarette smoke, the furniture was worn, frayed, and stained. The rooms are understandably small (it's NYC) but the full length mirror is placed in a way where you can't actually see your feet / from the knees down. The website mentions Kiehl's products, they used Ren instead - at least they're still fairly natural / no parabens. My window didn't shut properly, which was a bit terrifying 8 stories up. The bed was rock hard and I didn't sleep for 2 nights, which led to some very interesting business meetings.

The staff was pleasant enough. Had breakfast in the restaurant downstairs as we needed to be quick for a meeting - was very slow, and the decor is very creepy 90s and dark.

Would not stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Pablo M, General Manager at SIXTY SoHo, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of 60 Thompson Hotel.

We are glad you were able to experience our exceptional service but regret to learn of the other disappointments you experienced during your recent visit.

Please note that we are looking forward to a hotel refurbishment early next year and sincerely hope to welcome you back so that we may share our new look with you at its conclusion.

We would welcome an opportunity to discuss the issues faced further with you and can be contacted at pmigoya@thompsonhotels.com.

Kind Regards,

Pablo Migoya

559 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The staff was awesome. From reception to house keeping. A+ on that front. However, the bathroom smelled of mildew which permeated the rest of the room. There were holes in our bedding (sheets specifically). Their website promises Kiehls products in the bathrooms but this was not the case (while this may seem like a whiny thing, when you are paying this much for a hotel and look forward to having very good body/face products as stated on the hotel's own website, they should follow through).

The hotel was undergoing a lot of construction which in itself isn't bad obviously but the scaffolding outside our window seemed to have some type of dead chicken (ok, it was probably just insulation but still). The place looked kind of like a mess. Doubtful I'd stay here again unless price was significantly cheaper, way too many nice hotels in New York to waste time here.

Note: I've stayed at other Thompson properties and liked them, not so much with this one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate you taking the time to detail your experience. We apologize that you were inconvenienced by the construction that was taking place on the building due to a city mandate. Please note that we are looking forward to a complete hotel refurbishment early next year and hope you will return to experience the new look when we are finished!

We would welcome an opportunity to discuss any issues or questions further with you and can be contacted at pmigoya@thompsonhotels.com.

Kind Regards,

Pablo Migoya
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I use to hear great things about 60 Thompson St, so when the opportunity arose to stay there, I grabbed it........and that was my first mistake.
As soon as i saw the scaffolding on the building, and walked into the Lobby area where the main carpet is frayed and the area dimly lit, probably so one doesnt see all the stains, I knew the glory days of this hotel were over.
It is such a shame when hotels become lazy and no longer put in the effort to upgrade.
The front desk staff were rude, however I wanted to overlook these first impressions and get to my room, which I was promised was very nice and had a great outlook, on the 9th floor.
When I stepped off the elevator on my floor, the first thing I saw was torn, worn and stained carpet!.....I could not believe they would leave the hotel in such a terrible state.
The room was ugly, dark, and bathroom so small that you had to carefully move oneself around, so as not to bump into the toilet roll holder and sink. The window was small and all I looked out on was scaffolding.
There is no free internet in the rooms which is poor and simply money grabbing of any hotel.

There is one computer in the lobby that guests are able to use but you have to remain standing at the front desk. Really!....My problem was it kept crashing.
When I mentioned it to the front desk staff the response was "we will look into it"...........but clearly had no intention of doing so, or caring.

Many guests including me, were woken early by banging on the pipes. I was in the lobby when the front desk received some angry phone calls.....but the staff member's incorrect response was " it is not our building making this noise it is from another property!"......ridiculous! The chap should be sacked. As soon as one walks out the front door you can see workers on the scaffold....who is he trying to kid. Also another building (not adjacent) would not cause internal pipes to bang.

I asked if the hotel (front desk) could book me a car (my choice of car service) to the airport, and was told "NO".....they were not allowed to book any other car service and I must use the hotel car....Are you kidding me? So does this mean this hotel will not book a restaurant for a guest as well???because they must eat in the Hotel only?

So would I recommend this hotel or ever stay at a Thompson Hotel again? The answer is definitely NO.
I travel about 5 months a year, and have only complained about two other hotels.......this hotel was just an awful experience, probably because I was looking forward to it and it 'let me down'..

Room Tip: Dont go during construction or put anywhere near rooms where patrons have brought their dogs with th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
On behalf of the entire team at 60 Thompson Hotel, we would like to thank you for completing your review on TripAdvisor and sincerely regret to learn of the challenges you experienced during your recent visit.

At 60 Thompson we continuously strive to offer exceptional levels of service, which in this case it appears we failed to deliver.

We would welcome an opportunity to discuss these issues further with you and can be contacted at pmigoya@thompsonhotels.com
delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

It is nice to be back to a hotel. Longish stay of six days. And again enjoyed our stay here. The staff ( except for one) were very helpful. Pierre helped us change rooms for the second time when my allergy to smoke made me ask for a change again. It is sad that New York by abolishing the smoking floor can't actually stop guest from smoking in the rooms.
Thompson location in Soho is wonderland, the rooftop outstanding and general service very efficient.
There are a few frayed edges showing in the furniture and need to be mended. The AC in my last room was less efficient than the one in the corridor or the suite, they very nicely gave us for one night.
One regret that the lady who checked us kept saying the front facing rooms we wanted weren't available because they were blocked for others. Since I had made a similar request not sure why it was blocked for me. Minor quibble as I am happy to stay at Thompson.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We visited earlier this year and I should have written my review at the time but totally forgot. I always think that people are far quicker at talking about the bad stuff rather than the good (perhaps explains the delay in writing this)!

We had a fantastic time at 60 Thompson, great hotel, really polite and helpful staff! The room was comfortable and perfectly suited what we needed. Its in an amazing location - especially when the lovely assistant at Michael Kors puts the wrong pair of shoes in your bag and you need to go back on foot to change them!

Would recommend this to anyone visiting the City who wants to be in a really cool neighborhood. New York can sometimes feel a bit claustrophobic but this isn't the case at 60 Thompson

My only disappointment was that there wasn't free WiFi but am sure that this will no longer be the case when we go back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I recently spent a week at 60 Thompson for business. The service was excellent and the room was very comfortable. I had a few special requests throughout the week that were handled quickly and efficiently. Room service was speedy too. The staff and location make this one of my NYC favorites.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I recently had the opportunity to stay at the 60 Thompson. The rooms were clean, the staff take professional to a whole new level. They are always pleasant and willing to help guests. They make you feel special. The hotel is well kept. It has recently been under renovations. It reminds you of the W Hotel but with outstanding customer service. It is centrally located in SoHo. One of my favorite places to stay. I visited the Rooftop Bar while there which gives you an amazing view of the city. Great value for your money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to SIXTY SoHo? Share your experiences!