“worn stained carpets, rude staff, big disappointment” 1 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   60 Thompson Street, New York City, NY 10012 (SoHo)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #215 of 463 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“worn stained carpets, rude staff, big disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I use to hear great things about 60 Thompson St, so when the opportunity arose to stay there, I grabbed it........and that was my first mistake.
As soon as i saw the scaffolding on the building, and walked into the Lobby area where the main carpet is frayed and the area dimly lit, probably so one doesnt see all the stains, I knew the glory days of this hotel were over.
It is such a shame when hotels become lazy and no longer put in the effort to upgrade.
The front desk staff were rude, however I wanted to overlook these first impressions and get to my room, which I was promised was very nice and had a great outlook, on the 9th floor.
When I stepped off the elevator on my floor, the first thing I saw was torn, worn and stained carpet!.....I could not believe they would leave the hotel in such a terrible state.
The room was ugly, dark, and bathroom so small that you had to carefully move oneself around, so as not to bump into the toilet roll holder and sink. The window was small and all I looked out on was scaffolding.
There is no free internet in the rooms which is poor and simply money grabbing of any hotel.

There is one computer in the lobby that guests are able to use but you have to remain standing at the front desk. Really!....My problem was it kept crashing.
When I mentioned it to the front desk staff the response was "we will look into it"...........but clearly had no intention of doing so, or caring.

Many guests including me, were woken early by banging on the pipes. I was in the lobby when the front desk received some angry phone calls.....but the staff member's incorrect response was " it is not our building making this noise it is from another property!"......ridiculous! The chap should be sacked. As soon as one walks out the front door you can see workers on the scaffold....who is he trying to kid. Also another building (not adjacent) would not cause internal pipes to bang.

I asked if the hotel (front desk) could book me a car (my choice of car service) to the airport, and was told "NO".....they were not allowed to book any other car service and I must use the hotel car....Are you kidding me? So does this mean this hotel will not book a restaurant for a guest as well???because they must eat in the Hotel only?

So would I recommend this hotel or ever stay at a Thompson Hotel again? The answer is definitely NO.
I travel about 5 months a year, and have only complained about two other hotels.......this hotel was just an awful experience, probably because I was looking forward to it and it 'let me down'..

Room Tip: Dont go during construction or put anywhere near rooms where patrons have brought their dogs with th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Pablo M, General Manager at SIXTY SoHo, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
On behalf of the entire team at 60 Thompson Hotel, we would like to thank you for completing your review on TripAdvisor and sincerely regret to learn of the challenges you experienced during your recent visit.

At 60 Thompson we continuously strive to offer exceptional levels of service, which in this case it appears we failed to deliver.

We would welcome an opportunity to discuss these issues further with you and can be contacted at pmigoya@thompsonhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

It is nice to be back to a hotel. Longish stay of six days. And again enjoyed our stay here. The staff ( except for one) were very helpful. Pierre helped us change rooms for the second time when my allergy to smoke made me ask for a change again. It is sad that New York by abolishing the smoking floor can't actually stop guest from smoking in the rooms.
Thompson location in Soho is wonderland, the rooftop outstanding and general service very efficient.
There are a few frayed edges showing in the furniture and need to be mended. The AC in my last room was less efficient than the one in the corridor or the suite, they very nicely gave us for one night.
One regret that the lady who checked us kept saying the front facing rooms we wanted weren't available because they were blocked for others. Since I had made a similar request not sure why it was blocked for me. Minor quibble as I am happy to stay at Thompson.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We visited earlier this year and I should have written my review at the time but totally forgot. I always think that people are far quicker at talking about the bad stuff rather than the good (perhaps explains the delay in writing this)!

We had a fantastic time at 60 Thompson, great hotel, really polite and helpful staff! The room was comfortable and perfectly suited what we needed. Its in an amazing location - especially when the lovely assistant at Michael Kors puts the wrong pair of shoes in your bag and you need to go back on foot to change them!

Would recommend this to anyone visiting the City who wants to be in a really cool neighborhood. New York can sometimes feel a bit claustrophobic but this isn't the case at 60 Thompson

My only disappointment was that there wasn't free WiFi but am sure that this will no longer be the case when we go back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I recently spent a week at 60 Thompson for business. The service was excellent and the room was very comfortable. I had a few special requests throughout the week that were handled quickly and efficiently. Room service was speedy too. The staff and location make this one of my NYC favorites.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I recently had the opportunity to stay at the 60 Thompson. The rooms were clean, the staff take professional to a whole new level. They are always pleasant and willing to help guests. They make you feel special. The hotel is well kept. It has recently been under renovations. It reminds you of the W Hotel but with outstanding customer service. It is centrally located in SoHo. One of my favorite places to stay. I visited the Rooftop Bar while there which gives you an amazing view of the city. Great value for your money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

"New York is my boyfriend BUT 60 Thompson is my lover"

My first time in NYC and I had the most exciting time - the staff right from check in were polite, great looking & always helpful & smiling
A60 was a blast - you need to get white cranberry juice for the cocktail I made up - the views was spectacular both day & night - the service was impeccable as were the drinks - THOM bar was sexy
My room 105 was fantastic - as was kittichai food -
The conceige Boys were very helpful & attentive

Well done 60 Thompson - See you March 14 Lover xx

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was the first time staying at this property and I must say I was pretty impressed! The bellman, concierge, and front desk were all VERY courteous and quick to greet by my first name every day I was there. Beds/pillows were comfortable, and bathroom was spacious. As for constructive feedback, the bathroom lighting was awful in terms of getting ready in the morning! There should be a light over the mirror pointing outward (not down- casts bad shadows) in order to fill the face. NO ONE likes to get ready in bad lighting! You want to leave feeling great. Also the bath to shower mechanism worked halfway so that the bathwater was always running while the shower was on, thusly compromising the water pressure. The chambermaids were VERY loud when cleaning the room next door to mine each morning, banging things around and having no consideration for those sleeping (such as myself). I actually complained to one of them after I was awakened by endless banging around while cleaning. Also, the staff at Kittichai were less than friendly. Those who were friendly were slow and my food took forever to come on a busy night. I understand a crowded restaurant, but at least check in and let me know the progress of the food. On the mornings I had breakfast the restaurant was pretty dead, but the staff again were slow and much more unpleasant. One young blonde girl could not have been more disinterested in me or being there at all, for that matter. Very unfriendly. Everyone else that I'd mentioned (bellman, concierge, and front desk) were all stellar and lovely!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to SIXTY SoHo? Share your experiences!