“spectacular boutique hotel-room was small” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   60 Thompson Street, New York City, NY 10012 (SoHo)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #206 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Johannesburg, South Africa
“spectacular boutique hotel-room was small”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I loved my experience at 60 thompson. Was prob one of the nicest boutique hotels. service superb, the pretty restaurant downstairs was very romantic, nice rooftop bar, nice little features like DVDselection and concierge that will go the extra mile and neat little feautres in the room. Spa luxury gowns. best of all is it is adventuring around soho. The only drawback was that the room was small. I guess it is new york city and everything in soho feels a little small

Room Tip: Ask for the biggest room. I got a small room but there may be bigger ones
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Pablo M, General Manager at SIXTY SoHo, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Larry Krug,

Thank you for taking the time to review 60 Thompson on Trip Advisor.

The property has 4 different room types and 3 styles of suites to choose from at the hotel. Each has a loyal following of guests finding the size more than suitable for their needs. We would welcome discussing those options for you during your next stay.

As you noted, our hotel is centrally located in the heart of SoHo. Surrounded by every major store, boutique, art gallery and restaurant one could hope for when in the city.

It sounds like you took advantage of the area has to offer, good for you!

Pablo Migoya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Beautiful interiors. Room service that sometimes doesn't answer the phone but brings the food quickly once you actually get ahold of them. No iron or hairdryer in the room but they'll bring them to you.

Wireless bandwidth was pretty good but not great.

Worst thing is that they have a bar/club in the hotel and you can hear the music on the 7th floor. At 2 am on Monday morning, a few hours before a client meeting, that's extremely annoying.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear M G,
We appreciate you expressing your thoughts on Tripadvisor and, although you’re overall experience was positive, your overall stay was diminished by the sounds of the bar.

I sincerely apologize.

If you could reach out to me to further discuss, I would be more than happy to address our future plans and, to assure you remain a loyal Thompson Hotel guest.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Everyone from the valet to the front desk (shout out to Katrina) to the chamber maids, John "the night guy", to the manager up on the roof top bar, was simply lovely, kind, and welcoming. My only thing for a hotel is that it has to be clean. I don't care if a hotel is a 1 star or a 5 star (okay, like the 5 stars better but just to give you an idea) but the room has to be clean. I've traveled all my life, and so I know a thing or two about hotels. I did not feel like if I touched something I might get cooties, which happens more often than not. I never felt that way in my room. We had been upgraded to a super suite which was great for our little party group so we got a chance to see another room before our upgrade (we needed a pull out couch and the first room did not have that) and that too was clean as a whistle. The bar upstairs has magnificent views of the Freedom Tower and The Empire State buildings. Room #80, June 15th, 2012

Dear tenajroc,

Thank you for the glowing review of 60 Thompson.

I will assure you comments are passed on to our staff, espcially our housekeeping department. I could not agree more about your view on cleanliness.

Suite 80 is considered a Thompson suite. They are one of our branded suites and, a common thread at all Thompson Hotels.

We look forward to having you stay again.

Dammam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I really wanted to like this place but just fell short. Great location in SoHo but checked in for 4 days after long flight from Middle East. Room was a bit worn but staff was very helpful and friendly. Then the evening came they had put us right over the bar a few floors up, they said they would move us the next day. When we asked about the move manager tried to make us feel guilty that they were booked and he would have to disappoint another guest if they didn't get the room they wanted! Note to self you just disappointed me. Didn't sleep due to noise. Charge 15 dollars per day per device for wi-fi. On check out Victor was helpful and did attempt service recovery but they would have to do much better next time. Usually stay at the Mercer......but I may give this place another shot. Would have to call and make sure where my room was.

Room Tip: Don't be above the club!
Dear Texasfan1,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor.

First and foremost, my sincerest apologies for your overall experience during your stay while in the city.

I would like an opportunity to change your mind on 60 Thompson so, if you have a moment, please reach out to me.

Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

This hotel is in a great location in SoHo, within walking distance to all the shopping & restaurants you could ask for. The staff were friendly & there was always someone available to help you with your bags or hail a cab for you. But for the extremely high price of the room, I wouldn't stay here again. Yes, the rooms are large for a New York City hotel. Everything was clean, modern, & comfortable. But nothing was extraordinary. The lighting in the bathroom was poor, our bathtub had a very slow drain so it filled with water when you took a shower, & our room was right above the bar which meant we were subjected to loud music until 2am! We called the front desk to complain, & they offered my friend & I another room...but they didn't have any available doubles, so we had to stay put. The music was so loud that I was literally singing along with the songs that were playing, that's how well I could hear them. It's one thing if a hotel is next door to a loud bar/club & nothing can be done, but this bar was IN the hotel & they still wouldn't turn the music down! I guess the bar brings in more money than the guests - we were very disappointed at their lack of effort to keep things quieter. Overall, this hotel is a trendy spot to have dinner or drinks, but I would look elsewhere for a place to stay. And it was a beautiful weekend in April so we were looking forward to enjoying the rooftop bar, but it still had not been opened for the season! The room/amenities/location of the hotel did not compensate for the high price tag in my opinion.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor so you don't hear the loud music from the bar!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear TxGrl,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor.

We make every effort, on every guest interaction, to distinguish ourselves from other hotels by providing a seamless and effortless hotel stay at a price that is related price.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

It's a great shame when any establishment, be it a hotel, restaurant, bar, whatever, is let down by something that might seem insignificant to them but is keenly felt by its patrons. In the case of 60 Thompson, it's the lack of free wi-fi. I know, it sounds trivial and you'd think that the hotel makes up for it in so many other ways, but for me, it left a really sour taste. I mean, these days free wi-fi is so widespread, even in budget standard accommodation. Everyone knows how cheap it is to provide and so I think that if I'm paying $600 a night to stay at a hotel, I can't help but feel a little insulted to be made to pay $15 extra a day for internet connection. If nothing else, out of principle. I mean come on, I can get a coffee at Starbucks for $3 and be granted the pleasure, why not when I stay at a 5-star hotel? The problem is easily addressed and I think that the relatively small amount that the hotel would lose out on would be offset by the far better image it would project to its guests.

Apart from the wi-fi issue, I found 60 Thompson to be an agreeable hotel. The rooms were well appointed, spacious and comfortable. The staff were, on the whole, accommodating and friendly (although, we did encounter one or two servers from the bar that could polish their manners a little), the rooftop bar provided great views for a sundowner, and the hotel, generally, had a good vibe. The SoHo location also can't be beat.

Dear Fsraavnikno,

We appreciate you taking a moment out of your busy schedule to review 60 Thompson.

As you have noted, the hotel is centrally located in what is arguably, New York City's best neighborhoods for shopping, dining and people watching.

I am happy to see that your experience was pleasant and up to your standard.

We look forward to having you stay again in the near future.

Londinium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the 60 Thompson twice. It is a nice little hotel. I remember it being super cool a few years ago. I love the location as I love SoHo and the hotel is cosy. The beds are extremely comfy. I believe it needs a little bit of a revamp, but not much.
The food at the hotel is good (breakfast and dinner) and the staff is helpful and nice.
Theres a very cute roof top that has nice views of the city. Love the cocktails and the atmosphere.

The only negative thing I would say is that the wifi is not free. It's too expensive. Who still pays for wifi in hotels??? Time to change this ASAP!!

It's a good hotel, young at heart and I would probably return again!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at SIXTY SoHo, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear cristeena,

Thank you for taking the time tor review 60 Thompson on this wonderful website, TripAvisor.

It sounds as if you took full advantage of everything SoHo including our rooftop lounge, A60.

We look forward to having you stay again in the future.

Pablo Migoya

Been to SIXTY SoHo? Share your experiences!