“Perfectly Soho w/ Rooftop Lounge” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SIXTY SoHo

You added SIXTY SoHo to your Saves list
SIXTY SoHo
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   60 Thompson Street, New York City, NY 10012 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #221 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Sarasota, Florida
“Perfectly Soho w/ Rooftop Lounge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

The outside of this hotel has you feeling like your pulling up to your residence with the doorman awaiting your return. It’s a tall slim building. It’s located right next to one of Soho’s best Thai Restaurants Kitticha (?) It was my second time dining there and I recommend the Red Curry Sea Bass w/ side of vegetables.
Checking into the hotel the staff was extremely friendly & informative. It was a Sunday so the hotel was a bit quiet. Plenty of seating in the window lined lobby that boast a brown and cream interior, very earthy. There is a restaurant off the lobby. After riding the elevator up to room 44, I was admiring the wood surrounding the hallways and the corridors leading to the few rooms that occupy each floor. This was one of the smaller rooms I stayed in but, the décor & comfortable luxury made up for that. No view but a spacious beautiful bathroom you want to spend more time in. The shower was very cool. Around 5pm the rooftop bar opens, a great place to come after you dined a Kittichai for a cocktail over looking the Empire State Building. The vast view with very little building makes you feel like you stepped outside the city; very pleasant. The décor is carried all the way upstairs and is elegant, sophisticated with a woodsy feel. I loved this space.
Warning… if you plan on catching a cab to the airport arter 4pm “Forget-a-bout-it”, I waited 40 minutes for a cab, then decided it was too late to catch my flight. Now the bellman stood out in the rain that long trying to hail a cab. A few car services came by but they will charge you between $75 and up when the far is only $45. The hotel offers a car service for $115 that includes all tolls & tips if you can afford that.
I love the location of this hotel, it was 4 walking blocks to Trump Soho & it’s also right around the corner from my new favorite pizza place: “Bens”. You must get a slice here, perfection. There are so many shops to visit in this trendy, artsy area. I will definitely go back to this hotel.
For you “Foursquare “ users, be sure to check in and show them you did. They offer a free room upgrade if you do. I paid about $175. (w/tax $240.). I booked this hotel from a company called Magellen Vacations. Because of this, I got a free room upgrade and or complimentary breakfast. I suggest calling them first because they always beat the hotels prices by at least $10-25. Plus they don’t charge a fee since the hotels give them referral fees. You have to call them because they don’t post prices on their website, it’s how they can keep the prices down. You will call them first on all your vacations, I do. They booked two hotels for me and when there is a problem with the bill, they take care of it right away for you.

Room Tip: Room 44 / Small, but quaint, awesome bathroom & secluded local.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
ThompsonHotels, Guest Relations Manager at SIXTY SoHo, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Dear TravelFoodBeachFun,
We value your time and appreciate your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at 60 Thompson -we love hearing from our guests. We're very grateful you had an excellent experience with us and we thank you for your numerous compliments. As well, we're glad you enjoyed Kittichai and our rooftop bar. Upon your return to New York, we hope to have the privilege of serving you once again.

Thompson Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights with a girlfriend. Overall it was very good. The room was very good and quite spacious. The bedding and the bathroom amenities were excellent. We had a complimentary cheese tray upon arriving as well as one on the night we left, (a nice touch). The rooftop bar was very cool and the staff up there were very attentive. We didn't eat at the hotel because there are so many cool restaurants and bars that are so close. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on one of the upper floors. No noise issues at all.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
ThompsonHotels, Guest Relations Manager at SIXTY SoHo, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Dear winelover010,
We value your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us; we love hearing from our guests. As well, thank you for the numerous compliments regarding your visit --we're grateful to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Upon your return to New York, we hope to have the privilege of serving you again.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Sometimes hotels that try and be trendy end up being too focused on being funky and trendy, and forget that at the end of the day people are looking for quiet, comfortable rooms, and great service.

Having stayed at some, I feared that Sixty Thompson in Soho New York would be one of the former - as they make much of their style, attitude and locations in trendy parts of town. I had also read mixed reviews, including those talking about the place being a bit shabby.

Overall, I was impressed with the hotel. I found the location was great (right within easy access of all that Soho has to offer) but in a quiet spot. I found the decor stylish, without being overly done. The staff almost without exception were friendly, genuine and chatty.

The hotel is not cheap, but not many are in New York. I had asked for a room higher up as heard that the lower rooms can suffer from noise from the trendy bar on the lobby floor. And it was quiet and peaceful.

The room was a decent size, with decent sized bed (though not as comfy as some of the chain hotels), sofa, big TV. But no desk to be able to sit and work at. This was a miss as sure these days even people not on work also like to sit on a laptop and so on. The wireless access is expensive at $14.75, and it costs per device and so if you attaching a work laptop and maybe a personal iPad you pay twice.

The bathroom was great, and had shower and no bath. Something more common these days.

Room service was very fast and very friendly. The restaurant downstairs, which is a Thai fusion, was not that good in my view. It is very popular and although I was so-so on the food, they did amazing cocktails (especially the Classic Moijto)

There is a very small fitness room in the basement that was average. But enough stuff to have a decent workout.

The hotel was good at checking and watching activity on twitter @60_thompson and noted comments and so on through my stay. This was a nice touch too.

Overall a pleasant place to stay. Good alternative to chains...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
ThompsonHotels, Guest Relations Manager at SIXTY SoHo, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Dear bembridge,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we love hearing from our guests. We're grateful to know that you had an enjoyable stay at 60 Thompson and we appreciate your wonderful compliments regarding our service, accommodations and location. We enjoy interacting with our guests online too, and we're glad you tweeted with us -we hope you'll keep in touch.

We also appreciate you taking the time to voice your concerns with us. We value our guest's feedback and we take every comment into serious consideration -we want to provide you with an improved stay every time you visit.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope to have the privilege of serving you in the future.

New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

I stayed here in early 2009, at which time I loved the hotel, but found that the room was a bit scuffed up. This time, I asked for a room that was in better shape, and they gave me a beautiful room with no signs of wear and tear. The staff is still really great here (friendly - no attitude). My only complaint: it was really, really hot in NYC during our visit, and the AC seemed to be less effective than it could have been. My AC at home really blasts. On the upside, the hotel windows open, which is a big plus (to me), so we could get fresh air when we needed it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
ThompsonHotels, Guest Relations Manager at SIXTY SoHo, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
Dear MARworld,
We value your time and appreciate your feedback; we love hearing from our guests. We're grateful to know you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to provide you with improved accommodations upon your return to 60 Thompson. As well, we thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel and our wonderful staff.

Thank you for choosing 60 Thompson -we eagerly look forward to serving you in the future.

Malaga, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

The location of the 60 Thompson in Soho close to Tribeca, is brilliant. It is in the heart of some great shopping, great restaurants and close to some of the popular New York sights including Little Italy, China Town, Washington Square Park to name but a few.
Walking uptown towards Times Square is a pleasure as well as walking downtown towards the South Island ferry port.
Our room (upgraded for free to a suite) was spacious, immaculate, comfortable and ideal. Special touches from the general manager Saye included a bottle of Champagne, a drinks invite upon arrival, chocolate coated strawberries in the room and complimenntary mineral water daily. Every detail is attended too in this modern and chic hotel. The New York times is delivered daily and the concierge or front desk are happy to help with restaurant bookings, taxis and any other requirement you may have.
My only gripe would be the restaurant located on the ground floor, which I am sure is independant of the hotel. The prices are extortionate, the service slow and the staff generally sour faced.
Would I come back to the 60 Thompson - absolutely!!

Room Tip: Talk directly to the hotel - we stayed in room 50
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
ThompsonHotels, Guest Relations Manager at SIXTY SoHo, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Dear SpanishDreamer14,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us -we love hearing from our guests. We are very pleased to hear that you had an exceptional stay at 60 Thompson during this memorable time in your life and we’re glad you enjoyed our special gifts of congratulations. As well, we greatly appreciate your wonderful review and the numerous compliments regarding our location and the quality of your stay.

In addition, we apologize for the poor experience at Kittichai and we appreciate your feedback. We take all concerns from our guests very seriously and we will address the issues you stated immediately.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and we look forward to serving you in the future.

canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Booked this hotel after going back and forth between the Trump Soho. It was our 9th wedding anniversary so we wanted it to be special. Booked through Perfect escapes which entails: (first two based on avail.) 1.early check in 2.room upgrade 3. welcome amenity (also mentioned through the booking that it was an anniversary) 1. not available 2. not available (even though i could go on-line and book the higher room category 3. had to call down 3 hours after check in and ask for the welcome amenity, arrived without even a "happy anniversary"
We stayed in a Deluxe King and the room was in desperate need of a makeover, did not feel "cool, hip, or luxurious". Noise was not an issue- we asked for a higher floor. I was told by the front desk that rooms close to the bar were usually given to people staying one night and since we were there for 3, no worries, so Beware!
SPoke with 2 different concierges on 2 occasions, not very helpful.
I usually stay at SOHO grand when in Soho, and it is a much better hotel. I wish that I chose the Trump, I know that they would have gone the extra mile.
I have 2 rooms booked at the Thompson in Toronto for NYE and am seriously reconsidering based on my stay here.
The hotel was clean, room service was prompt, the location is great. this is the only reason i am giving this place 3*.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear ashleyw,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, we love hearing from our guests. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay at 60 Thompson. We strive to provide each of our guests with an exceptional stay and we assure you that what you experienced is not the standard. We're confident we can provide you with a remarkable stay in the future.

In hopes to remedy your recent stay with us, we would like to invite you to contact us -please send a message to ThompsonHotels or contact the hotel directly. We value your input and we hope to speak with you soon.

Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This was my first time staying at this hotel. Location was great, it was wonderful exploring the neighborhood, and lots of food options around. The rooftop bar is amazing, great cocktails and gorgeous view, should be offering food options in the next month or so. The Thai restaurant downstairs, Kittichai, is pretty cool, great decor and delicious spicy food. My colleague ate breakfast downstairs and said it was very good. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Doorman ran down the street to grab me a cab when I was running late. Only cons were my hotel room was small, but expected. However, I thought it needed an update. Also was charged extra for mini-bar items that I never purchased. I might stay here for the location, but may consider a more up to date hotel for the decor and definitely check the hotel bill.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dear tstarponce,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, we love hearing from our guests. We're pleased to know that you had a wonderful stay at 60 Thompson and we appreciate your numerous compliments regarding our location, venues and staff. As well, we sincerely apologize for the erroneous charge and we would like to invite you to contact us -please send a message to ThompsonHotels or contact the hotel directly. We value your input and we hope to speak with you soon. We look forward to providing you with a remarkable stay in the future.

Thompson Hotels

Been to SIXTY SoHo? Share your experiences!