“Highly recommended: convenient location, scrupulously clean, helpful staff, a feeling of serenity and safety” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Iroquois

You added The Iroquois to your Saves list
The Iroquois
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   49 W 44th St, btwn 5th & 6th Aves, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #26 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Flagstaff, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

Everything about my recent trip to NYC felt like a highlight, starting when we checked into the Iroquois. The Iroquois was everything I was looking for in accomodations. Having owned and operated an award winning B&B for 10 years, I am extremely picky when it comes to selecting a hotel for myself; cleanliness and safety being at the top of my list. The Iroquois surpassed my expectations. The hotel staff were extremely helpful and friendly; the rooms, while on the small side (but guess that's typical for NYC), felt luxurious with down comforters on the beds and beautifully tiled baths. Some historic properties, while clean, can still feel a little grubby around the edges, but not the Iroquois! The rates were a little steeper than I had planned to spend (but not by much), but was well worth it, given the clean rooms, feeling of safety, and accommodating staff. Though it may be a year before I return to NYC, I plan to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois, responded to this review, November 13, 2010
Dear SKFlagAZ,
Thank you very much for your kind review of our property. As a fellow Hotelier, your compliments are particularly flattering and encouraging. I am very pleased you noticed that we take great pride in our cleanliness throughout the property and our unvarying high level of service. We look forward to welcoming you back in a year. Kindly, Caroline Lakin, Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Turkish first
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

The Iroquois was beautiful--the first thing that comes to mind is the clean white rooms. The beds were deliriously comfortable and warm. The staff was friendly if distant, and there was always hot coffee/cider depending on the time of day. Midtown location was convenient to many things, but the road its on seemed to have mostly other hotels--but don't take my word, I don't remember quite clearly. The view out the window was only to see other hotel rooms through a small alley. The lobby and sitting area were both smart, cozy and classy--in fcat the whole place was cozy and classy, a great wintertime hotel in New York.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for your thoughtful review from your most recent stay at the Iroquois NY. I think its wonderful you described our lobby as cozy and classy. I believe the lobby has this welcoming appeal all year long, but I too particularly love our ambiance in the wintertime especially with the festive holiday decor. Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back during another season! Best, Caroline Lakin
New England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

Punishment for taking advantage of the hotel's own offering of a discounted nonrefundable rate.

That, in a phrase, was the takeaway from my recent stay at the Iroquois. I’ve stayed in the past and enjoyed the passable, quaint rooms of yesteryear – if you like the polished mahogany feel of a New York club in the MadMen era, you’ll go for the décor and feel of the public spaces of the Iroquois. And, as I have in the past, you’ll likely receive a smallish, intimate room which is functionally challenged, but clean and satisfactory in all other ways.

But I was coming in only for one night, to meet with clients around the corner, and I guess it was my misfortune to snag a very attractive nonrefundable web advance sale price for an “Executive King” room. Look at their room descriptions, and note that this room classification is at the top of the one-room line, just below the suites.

Now look at the attached picture to see what I got! A low-floor dungeon room overlooking the internal court, which at that level is full of horrific vistas of office toilers and HVAC engineering. Oh, and there’s the dilapidated fire escape for a bit of local color. You’ll see others comment on the antiquated heating/cooling system – that means if you want anything but closed window heat stoking in November, you get to open the window onto the fire escape (strangely, it opens fully) and hear the courtyard noise with the added audible treat of taxi and ambulance/fire engine siren sounds reverberating around and into your room. This room also had the good fortune of being sandwiched next to the elevator and a (often-used) utility closet.

Yes, I asked for another room and was told the hotel was sold out for the night.

What to do? I dunno; ask for a specific room confirmation before clicking on your internet booking: good luck. Spend full price and ask for a specific room confirmation: good luck and why?

Looks like the hotel recession is over in NYC, so I suppose it’s back to caveat emptor, regrettably for places like this….

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
IroquoisHotel, General Manager at The Iroquois, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us with regards to your most recent stay. Our executive king room is the most spacious of our non-suite rooms and offers the largest bathroom in the category. I do apologize for the view from your room. We can certainly offer pre-booking assistance to accommodate your view requests for future bookings and I would ask that you personally contact me prior to your next reservation so I can pre-block your room.
I ask that you give the Iroquois another opportunity if your travel plans have you visiting NYC in the. Please contact me at rholmes@iroquoisny.com so I can personally assist you with your reservation requirements.
Robert Holmes
The Iroquois NY
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

The Iroquois provides an excellent and convenient location for sightseeing NY - close to 5th Av. and half way between Central Park and The Empire State Building, which are both in walking distance. If one prefers a smaller hotel with good service and ever better restaurant and you do not need the full set of facilities of the big hotels the Iroquois is a great choice and you will be suprised on the very reasonable price for that category in NYC. You may spend more money at other locations and get less.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois, responded to this review, November 9, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Iroquois NY. I agree that our personal ambience and service can be a major benefit to our guests. Our staff remembers not only our guests' faces in the lobby, but many times their names as well. Thanks again for your comments. Take care, Caroline Lakin
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

We stayed at the Iroquois and very so very impressed with the staff and the hotel. Nothing was too much trouble for them, they genuinely wanted to make our stay as comfortable and as memorable as possible, I wish a few more hotels would take a leaf out of the Iroquois book in regards to customer service. The location was perfect, we could walk everywhere and the tours that the hotel organised for us were fantastic. WeI definately will be back

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
Thank you for your kind words about our property. Your compliments about our customer service is particularly flattering and very much appreciated. Our staff does care about our guests and it seems our sincerity shows! Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon. Caroline Lakin, Front Desk Manager
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

A college friend and I stayed at The Iroquois over Halloween weekend. It was the perfect place! Listed as a Small Luxury Hotel, it is central to many midtown attractions: Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue, Times Square, the Theatre District, Empire State Bldg., etc. and we were able to walk to many of our midtown destinations. While the room was small (typical for midtown NYC), it was clean, comfy and QUIET. The staff was very nice/helpful. After calling 10 other hotels, I had despaired of finding nice, reasonably priced accommodations for this busy weekend. The Iroquois was a happy surprise for us: we found this hotel was priced moderately, especially compared to its Hotel Row neighbors on 44th Street, and elegant in an understated way.

The Iroquois is a gem of a classic NYC hotel - we will definitely come back!

Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Iroquois New York. I am very happy to know you enjoyed our hotel and our convenient location. It will surely be our pleasure to welcome you back next time.
-Caroline Lakin
Front Desk Manager
UK.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

This was my third stay at The Iroquois with my sister in the past three years and again it lived up to our expectations. Once again we booked a classic room ( 2 double beds) and requested a quiet, non smoking room and we were allocated a room at the back of the hotel. Whilst there was no view, it was a peaceful place to escape to for some rest. We couldn't hear any traffic or other guests and the only noise was the feint humm of the air conditioning unit. This didn't bother me at all and I am a light sleeper but I would recommend ear plugs for anyone who may be sensitive to this sort of noise.

The room was comfortable and clean. It is small, but then I expected that. If you bring a lot of luggage be prepared for it to get in the way, there really isn't room for lots of cases! The bathroom was windowless but clean and we were given fresh towels each day. The shower was lovely and hot and had an excellent flow.

The hotel has a turn down service and provide the weather forecast for the next day. Very handy when you are planning what to see and do.

We didn't eat at the hotel so I cannot comment on that. We used the Red Flame Diner down the road which was excellent as always. A varied and plentiful menu, quick service and good value.

The library at the hotel is another benefit. Two computers with free internet use and a printer. Perfect for checking email, updating Facebook!!, planning activities and checking in for the return flight home. There only used to be one computer and sometimes we would experience a small wait, but now there are two, you can pretty much find one free at anytime.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the doorman was able to hail us a cab for our return to the airport. He did recommend the hotel car service (fixed fee of $65) but we preferred to take a licensed yellow cab. This cost $45 plus toll and tip (total around $60).

The location of this hotel remains one of the top reasons to stay here and one of the main reasons that I will recommend this place to friends.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Dear muggleUK-
Thank you once again for your kind review. I am proud to say we have many repeat guest like yourself, which I think shows our deep commitment in making our guest's stays memorable. These repeat guests are extra special to us, and we even have a rewards program designed specifically for our loyal guests.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Caroline Lakin
Front Desk Manager

Been to The Iroquois? Share your experiences!