“Loved the Iroquois” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Iroquois

You added The Iroquois to your Saves list
The Iroquois
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   49 W 44th St, btwn 5th & 6th Aves, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3 nights receive 20%
Ranked #22 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Northport, Long Island, New York
“Loved the Iroquois”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

"A Little Bit of Heaven in New York City"
We spent a weekend in hectic New York City around the Christmas holidays and had a wonderful experience I would like to share with everyone. We started out expecting to run into some problems, my husband and I and my daughter and her husband - from the time I booked the Iroquois everything went very smooth and very professional. When we got there I asked if perhaps we could get an upgrade and GUESS WHAT! they had a suite open and offered it to us at a minimal cost and we took it -WHAT A JOY!
Beautiful, clean and everthing we needed at our fingertips - the staff was very professional, offering us our privacy but taking care of all our needs. I loved it. The lounge and the restaurant are superb. I can't tell you the feeling of being in a hectic, busy city and feeling like you are at a bed and breakfast in the country. Quiet and cozy. The beds are especially comfy. I highly recommend the suite for comfort and room. I can't wait to go to the Iroquois again.

• Liked — Great location. Very professional and very clean - comfy and cozy.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Turkish first
New York NEW YORK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2009

We live in NYC and still chose to get out of our own apartment to the Iroquois hotel for a weekend. A getaway in our own city!

Greeted by by the lovely, spic-n-span lobby, on an unexpectedly posh block just outside Times Square - I was surprised by the feeling of being in a little auberge with superior service.

The linens, bath products, attention to detail, spotless rooms and anything-but-generic decor made me feel like I was in a high-end London boutique hotel - and yet it is steps from the most exciting tourist spot in the world.

Great. Ask for the lovely suites.

• Stayed September 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

The hotel room was very clean. A little small since I expected a bigger room since I reserved an Executive King. I guess I'm comparing to the room that I had at another hotel on West 51st between 6th/7th Aves that I stayed at 2 weeks before. I don't think the thermostat in my room was working. I had to turn it down so I will not suffocate or have a heat stroke! It's too hot! It's strange to have the alarm clock situated across the bed next to the flat panel TV. Totally weird! When I called the Front Desk to have it moved next to my bed, she offered to give me a wake-up call instead which is unacceptable because I like snoozing my alarm. So I insisted on having someone move it (wires were all tangled behind the cabinet). My flight arrived at around 8pm on a Sunday night. Checked-in & called for room service to find out that they don't have room service on Sunday evenings. I could pay for a service but I decided to brave the cold, windy night & walk to nearby DB Bistro Moderne to have a decent meal. All these are minor but after a long flight, these things become an irritant & inconveniece. Things settled down the next 2 days. The Front Desk staff needs some improvement. Sometimes it feels like they just want to answer 1 question. The Front Desk staff at the West 51st St hotel knew my name on my 2nd day. Those are nice little touches. I must say that the bed was comfortable & the bathroom amenities were excellent. I'm glad that I paid what is considered an average rate for NY standard when I booked this hotel. For the price that I paid, I can recommend this hotel to friends. But nothing more. Thanks hotel.com!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

We just returned home from a 4 day getaway to New York. This was our first time in New York and we booked a room at the Iroquois hotel not knowing anything about the location or the hotel. We arrived early and figured we would need to store our luggage until check in time, but we were very happy and surprised when we were told our room was available. Our room was clean, comfortable, especially the bed, and a fabulous location. I have to say that the concierge Marga was wonderfully helpful. I feel that i am a very particular traveler and the Iroquois Hotel satisfied all of my needs. We will definitely return.

Stayed February 2009
Herefordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2009

We have just returned from a short spell in New York, and I picked the Iroquois Hotel, 49 West 44th St, New York City because it's so central and convenient for mid-town Manhattan. This is a real gem of a hotel - it's small, personal and intimate and I could not rate the friendly service more highly. If you want a personal friendly service and the best breakfast in town (try the hot 'French toast' filled with fluffy cream cheese and served with syrup and fresh strawberries..... absolutely delectable!), then this is the hotel for you. The interior of the lobby is stylish and intimate, and our bedroom with its two deliciously soft and downy double beds and the Molton Brown goodies in the bathroom was comfort itself. A nice personal touch was the little cards left in our room every evening with details of what the weather would be like the next day: very useful if you want to avoid taking the Circle Line harbour tour in driving snow! And the complementary hot, cinnamon-scented 'apple cider' on tap in the lobby when you come in from the cold was a real treat too - we took full advantage of this and enjoyed a chat with the lobby staff over the counter at the same time. They couldn't have been more helpful - they booked our concert at the Carnegie for us, then and there, sorted out our Circle Line and theatre tickets (the '39 Steps' at the Helen Hayes is a joy!), explained the subway system to us, and always remembered to ask how we'd got on the night before with all our ventures. I'd give the Iroquois 10/10. We just loved it!

• Liked — Its friendly staff and central mid-town location.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

Disappointing three-night stay at a historic, popular, and well-rated hotel I selected to get away from a bustling conference location a short walk uptown. The Iroquois is quite pretty and in an excellent location. The staff was pleasant. Yet, for me, it’s all about the details and no one seems to be setting best practices or minding that existing protocols are followed.

Upon arrival, which unfortunately coincided with the beginning of Superbowl XLIII, I dragged my roller bag up the four steep steps as no doorman was in sight. Naturally, he turned up as I finished my check-in and offered to help me take my bag upstairs in the elevator. I pointed out the irony and he declared that he was the only one on duty that night.

The bedroom looked comfortable, although short on power outlets; but my first observation of the bathroom revealed both hair and stains on the sink – yuck. Attempted to call down to the front desk to request the wifi code and the handset of the cordless phone didn’t work. In the morning, I experienced a clogged tub drain as water pooled to about 3 inches while I showered and I then found that the light on the make-up mirror (a nice touch) was burned out. I reported all but the soiled sink (which I wiped down myself). The phone and tub were fixed by the next day, but not the make-up mirror. On the second morning, a random extra box of hand soap was left atop the minibar, where it remained despite at least a couple more housekeeping visits. Curiously too, housekeeping seemed compelled to turn one set of blinds up and one set down when closing them at the end of each day. And the decorative bolster pillow, which during the day rested atop the bed pillows, was placed on the floor during turndown – again, yuck.

One last note, which is meant only to be factual and not critical: If you need to be able to personally control your HVAC, this is not the place for you. The system is set to heat during the cold months and despite setting the thermostat to 68 degrees, the room temp nonetheless hovered at around 73, a little to warm to be under a down comforter on even most winter nights. Windows of my 11th floor room of course were bolted shut according to fire code requirements. I may have been the only one in the city to appreciate the snow and temperature drop!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

Stayed at the Iroquois for 4 nights on a sightseeing / shopping trip to New York. First impressions were great - very efficient check in, nice staff, well finished room, lovely comfy beds, bath robes and Molton Brown toiletries. We spent our first night on the 11th floor but had problems with a broken thermostat (which left the room severely over heated) and noise from some sort of fan or vent outside our window (imagine an extractor fan full on over your head all day and night!). We were moved to the 4th floor the following morning with minimal fuss, which solved the temperature problem but unfortunately, not the noise. Everthing else about the hotel was perfect, including the location (on a relatively quiet street but just a short walk from Times Square) and the staff were really nice, but unfortunately everthing was overshadowed by the noise. Could only recommend if you could be guaranteed a room in a different part of the hotel.

• Liked — The bed!
  • Disliked — The noise!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Iroquois? Share your experiences!