“Best Hotel Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Iroquois

You added The Iroquois to your Saves list
The Iroquois
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   49 W 44th St, btwn 5th & 6th Aves, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3 nights receive 20%
Ranked #22 of 457 Hotels in New York City
Baltimore
“Best Hotel Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Hotel in great location and staff is fabulous. Great hotel experience. Check in easy and accommodating. Size makes it a very friendly atmosphere, but they have everything a large hotel offers. Love the newspapers in the library.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

IroquoisFrontDesk, Manager at The Iroquois, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear llene S,

Thank you for choosing the Iroquois New York while visiting NYC! I am so pleased that you had such a great experience that the staff were so wonderful throughout your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and if you need any assistance arranging your next NYC adventure please don't hesitate to contact us.

John Waechter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Turkish first
Gateshead
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We arrived early at about 10am after a long flight from Hawaii, followed by an unbelievably long airport transfer from JFK that made several stops in rush hour traffic all over Manhattan which left us regretting our decision not to take a cab as we only saved about $10 so we could not have been more tired on arrival. We were so grateful when reception unexpectedly told us we could check in immediately. Very impressed with that and being able to get a few hours sleep before venturing out into Times Square meaning our first day was not a write off.

Being on our honeymoon they also brought wine and chocolates to the room which was a lovely touch, although I'd forgotten to put the Do Not Disturb button on and as I staggered out of bed to answer the door still half asleep and dressed only in my underpants the poor hotel staff were probably not as impressed with their view as I was with their kind gesture!

The room was very compact but well laid out given the space, the "view" from our window was of an alley outside and the sky was hidden by an enclosed high rise in every direction so you couldn't even tell if it was day or night but it meant the room was very quiet despite being in the middle of all the hustle and bustle. The carpet was a little worn and dated but the bed was comfortable and the bathroom clean. We'd been warned not to expect too much from NYC hotel rooms but considering the reasonable price and the location of the hotel we were satisfied. We were on the 3rd leg of our honeymoon having visited Vegas and Hawaii so the hotel room was always going to be less extravagant but the point of New York isn't staying in your room anyway.

We booked a Broadway show through the ever helpful concierge Bill and this hotel is the perfect location for the theatre district. We saw Les Mis and my wife enjoyed it but I must admit although I love live comedy, music and entertainment, musical theatre is never going to be my thing. I tried to look for other husbands who'd been dragged along but they all seemed to love it. I swear the guy sat next to me actually cried and they weren't tears of boredom like mine. Maybe it was the $30 dollars you had to pay for double whiskey and coke! Luckily the concierge Bill had more wine sent up to our room free to help us celebrate! Top man.

The hotel is the perfect base to explore Manhattan. We found the subway quite easy to use but to be fair as long as you have a reasonable pair of shoes you could walk around all of NYC and there's so much to see. We spent an entire sunny day in the beautiful (and free) Central Park, went to the top of the Rock for the outstanding views, took in live (and free) musical performances in Greenwich Village, walked the (free again!) High Line, took the (free) Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty, visited the humbling 9/11 Memorial and we paid in to the visitor centre which was well worth it and very emotional, and were taken out in New Jersey by friends we'd met in Hawaii for stunning views of the Manhattan cityscape, there's a great bar called Nevada Smith's for the football (soccer!) during the World Cup, just a shame about our England team being a let down as usual, but our favourite night was The Comedy Cellar in Greenwich Village followed by great live music at Cafe Wha. We were so impressed by how much you could do and see that was free like Union Sq or Washington Sq and I will definitely return to NYC.

By the 5th day all I would say is I was a bit over Times Sq. As a first timer in NY I'm glad I experienced the beating heart of Manhattan but after a few days battling the crowds, touts and hustlers I was a bit sick of the area. We found Greenwich Village and the Meatpacking District much more to our liking and will probably try and stay there next time.

If you do want to stay near Times Square though then the Iroquois is a great base at a very reasonable price with nice little complimentary touches like the best tasting, fresh strawberries on the reception desk every morning and iced water garnished with oranges, lemons or cucumbers which was very welcome after another day pounding the city streets!

The lobby area is nice, we didn't go into the bar The Lanterns Keep but it looked a great little hideaway, the rooms are adequate but best of all the staff made our stay great with the early check in, little gifts and helpful advice.

We did come back to an unexpected minibar bill on our credit card that we hadn't signed for and certainly hadn't used $102 worth of items. We think we did use some mini bar but it was a lot more modest figure than what we had been charged. Again though credit to Iroquois, one email to the reception and Jazmin wiped the bill to apologise for the confusion and refunded the credit card. This was above and beyond what we expected and again all credit to them. The "can do", helpful attitude of the staff is certainly the highlight of The Iroquois.

Stayed June 2014
Dear GeordieDave,

First off, thank you for letting us be a part of your honeymoon and we hope we did everything we could do to make it the best it could be. Secondly, kudos to you for sticking it out through Les Mis for your wife, that's true commitment. I am glad we were able to show you our "can do" attitude and although you may be over the midtown/Times Square hustle and bustle we hope to see you again soon.

South Freeport, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This is a perfect central location to retreat to after galleries and theatre in Times Square. Super. Particularly fond of quiet bar. Try for corner room next time. Two windows next door that would have made the visit even more satisfactory.

Dear Brook200,

Thank you for staying at the Iroquois New York and for such wonderful feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed our prime location and quiet bar and we look forward to showing what our other rooms have to offer. Thank you again and we can't wait until next time!

West Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Just spent 3 nights at The Iroquois Hotel and as like my other stays there it was a perfect visit. The staff is always helpful from the first phone call when they accommodated my special requests for rooms to meet my family's needs, to the great service of the concierge with either directions or recommending a great restaurant and being able to make a call and get us the reservation we wanted, to the front desk staff who is always pleasant and makes the guest feel appreciated. The fresh peaches at the front desk were a favorite of my kids. The location is close enough to the many things NYC has to offer, yet in a location where you can escape from the craziness that surrounds some of the larger hotels.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Ken B,

Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay with us and I am thrilled to hear that it hasn't been your first stay with us either. Our staff is definitely what sets us apart and its wonderful to hear that everyone did what they could to ensure your stay was the best it could be. We look forward to your next visit and making it just as memorable as the previous ones.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I love the personal attention at this hotel. I love they respect my privacy and treat me like a valued guest. Wonderful experience for the solo-traveler. Everyone from the doorman through front desk and housekeeping seemed genuinely pleasant and courteous.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

IroquoisFrontDesk, Manager at The Iroquois, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Jacqueline A,

Thank you for your lovely review and for choosing the Iroquois New York. I am happy to hear your gracious words in regards to the staff and will be sure to share this review with them. We hope to see you again soon and if you need any assistance arranging your next NYC visit please don't hesitate to contact us.

Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I enjoyed this hotel very much. The staff were outstanding, especially the concierge. Well done to both of you (sorry forgot names), its the little things that matter. The rooms are small but intimate but most of all it was an oasis from the hustle and bustle of NYC. The hotel is an older style hotel but has been refurbished with good décor. There is a restaurant in the hotel but we didn't dine there, so can't comment. The hotel is located about 1.5 blocks from Times Square and this certainly is a plus, as you are away from the crowds. The hotel is located between 5th & 6th street so there're amenities close by, not to mention shopping on 5th. There is, 'The Red Flame Diner' 3-4 doors down on the right as you exit the hotel. This is good for a cheap breakfast. We mainly ate at Times Deli on 44th but closer to 7th on the left. Good breakfast and a good place to stock up before you hit the subway. Also Bryant Park is close by so if you want to catch an old movie at night, outdoors, its not a bad option. I stayed at other hotels is NYC but this was certainly the pick of the bunch for me. I'd recommend this hotel because of the great service and location.

Dear 1Styile1,

Thank you for choosing to stay with the Iroquois New York and for your incredibly wonderful review! I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and that we are the "pick of the bunch" in comparison to the other hotels you have stayed at in NYC. I will pass along you comments to our concierge team, Vanessa and Bill, and I am sure they will be thrilled. We can't wait to welcome you back again and if there is anything we can do to make your next stay even more memorable please don't hesitate to contact us.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I recently spent several nights at the Iroquois on 44th Street. I had meetings in the area, have regularly stayed at a good hotel nearby but wanted to find another mid-town hotel for regular business use.

The traditionally-styled lobby is small (a good thing) allowing quick entry and exit. Front desk staff were very helpful and attentive without any of the artificial fawning found at a lot of boutique and would-be boutique hotels these days. Check in was quick and easy and the two small elevators are just a step away from the desk.

The small "Executive" room was both fine and a disappointment. They got the most important thing very right: the room was very quiet and the bed exceptionally comfortable. The musty smell on entry was not so welcoming.

As a very frequent business traveler, details that may seem petty to an occasional traveler count.

- The desk lamp was not plugged in. Not a big deal. Just move the chair aside, get down on the floor at the edge of the desk and plug it in.

- There was no hair-dryer. Having unsucessfully searched, I called the front desk and was politely told it was in the second drawer of the dresser; except it wasn't. Another call to the desk and a dryer was courteously delivered 10 minutes later. Perhaps a prior guest stole the dryer but why isn't the presence of a dryer on the housekeeping checklist when turning a room after a check-out?

- there was no luggage rack in the closet, leaving the top of the dresser the only place to place my roller-bag (BTW, thus partially blocked the TV; see below). I could have easily called for one but didn't bother.

- TV isn't important to me and I didn't even turn it on so I don't care about this but one so-often wonders whether people designing hotel rooms ever actually stay in mock-ups of the rooms they design. The large-screen TV, mounted on the wall above the dresser and facing the bed, was not visible from where the single easy-chair was placed and the room was too small to move the chair to a place where the TV was comfortably viewable.

The property is attractive and well maintained. The room decor is very nice. The staff are very pleasant and helpful. The location is great for mid-town business or access to the theater district. Wi-Fi was stable and fast. The price was reasonable. So the Iroquois has a lot to offer. But to be a top business hotel, a bit more attention to detail is needed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear R11-TA.

Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback on your recent stay. We appreciate every opportunity to improve our service and operation and will be addressing the details that were missed accordingly. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the location and wifi and we have very large plans in the near future to upgrade our rooms and hope you will return to see what we will soon have to offer. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

John Waechter

Been to The Iroquois? Share your experiences!