“Great Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Iroquois

Save Saved
You added The Iroquois to your Saves list
The Iroquois
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   49 W 44th St, btwn 5th & 6th Aves, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #22 of 452 hotels in New York City
San Antonio, Texas
“Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Perfect loacation for Theater, Times Square and Radio Music Hall. The place was very clean and the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Only complaint, the resturant is over-priced! We paid over $60 for 2 bowls of oatmeal, 2 orders of toast, 1 yougart, coffee and tea. With 20% tip, our breakfast was $78.01. Better choice, The Red Flame on the same block.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
I'm delighted to hear that you found our location a convenience during your stay. We would like to thank you for your compliments of our hotel staff. I apologize if the restaurant wasn't to your liking , but I am glad you were able to find a satisfying alternative in the red flame diner which is conviently located a few doors down from us. We hope to welcome you back in future!!

Assistant Front Desk Manager

1,712 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Turkish first
Cockeysville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I arrived around 8:30 p.m., calling ahead to tell the hotel when to expect me and found no doorman and no help with luggage to unload or go up the steps with my bags. A stranger did it for me! Once checked in, an employee decided to show me to the room with me trailing along with my luggage and holding the door to the elevator for him. I finally told him to take the luggage. Once in the room I was told that I was not allowed to adjust the temperature of the room on the thermostat. When I asked about the window heating/AC unit, he proceeded to fiddle with it. I told him to be sure that it was off. He lied and said it was off. It was not off. I later had to get the engineer to turn it completely off as the prior employee had activated a timer that was cycling it on and off. There is no lighting in the closet or for that whole end of the room where I was attempting to unpack. I took the minimum out of my bag for fear of losing the other things in the dark. All wall plugs are completely filled with the hotel's stuff. I had to get down on my hands and knees to find a strip plug underneath the desk for my IPad to charge. Then I found an outlet on the side of the desk for my IPhone to charge. However, to my dismay the next morning I found that when I turned off the desk light, the desk plug also went dead and my phone did NOT charge overnight. The mattress was good and that is why this hotel received three stars instead of two. Now, the shower: I scalded my right arm turning off the shower because there are absolutely NO markings on the shower as where hot, cold or off is. I recommend that you step outside the tub/shower before turning it off and be sure not to have any part of you under the water when turning it off. There is no ventilation in the bathroom. Therefore, not only was the bathroom completely steamed, which ruined my hair, but also the bedroom windows. As to the so-called BAY window in my room: The top half of the windows is completely blacked out by the hotel eliminating half the light coming in the windows. And this room really needs more light. In addition, there are dark brown wooden shutters that cannot be lifted, only tilted that further curtail light entering this room. What a dismal swamp it is. Breakfast: there was an argument about whether or not I was allowed to order the continental breakfast, being first told no and later told yes. And then there was the issue with the eggs. Even when I told them how many minutes to boil the eggs, the cook could not do the eggs even half way cooked to wear I asked. Not a good situation, in my opinion. Sleeping: Although the mattress was comfortable, I had to wear earplugs and play a sound soother to sleep well. When the neighboring room turned on its shower, the water sound screamed and bubbled right at the headboard to my bed. I checked out in the AM for a conference, stored my luggage at the hotel and was allowed to use the gym in the late PM to change my shoes for my trip home in the early evening. I am attempting to be fair and point out the good, too. And finally, when I noted some of the deficiencies to the person who originally escorted me to my room his answer was: "It is What it is." Now that I am safely at home, I can laugh at this most ridiculous interpretation of customer service I have ever heard.

Room Tip: Do not take one of the hotel's website specials for a deluxe room unless you want the above room...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community; be it good or bad, feedback from our guests is always appreciated. I want to apologize for the issues you outlined in your review as this certainly is not the standard of service we strive to provide our guests, however such information provides excellent guidelines for future training.

I’m disappointed that you made no mention of these issues to me at your time of departure however you appeared to be rushed so I can understand. If you would like to go over the details of your stay more in depth please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience.

Kelli Phillips
Front Office Manager
Daytona Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Our annual trip to NYC this year I selected the Iroquois - look no further - its so perfect. The friendliest staff ever. Nice size room - very clean - every night a member of staff brings you chocolates and a weather forecast for the next day. Allan the concierge is wonderful - very knowledgeable and gives his honest opinion - everwhere he suggested was great. The location is perfect and doors away is the cutest little diner that serves a great brealfast. Can't wait to go again next year. You can walk to all the great shops on Fifth - and Macy's is also not too far away.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
I'm delighted our property suited your needs for your stay in New York and you found traveling around the city convenient from our location. We appreciate your feedback, I will pass on your kind words to Alan it will definitely brighten up his day! We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I loved my stay at The Iroquois. It was convenient to lots of spots in New York City and the hotel staff was extremely nice and helpful. The elevator in the hotel is a little slow but we stayed on the 3rd floor and took the stairs. They had the best complimentary coffee in the lobby in the morning and the best hot apple cider in the evening. We hung out in the lobby and the library sipping our apple cider in the evening. It was nice to sit and talk to other people staying at the hotel. The hotel had a very home like feel and I would definitely stay there again. New York City is an amazing place. I really wish I lived there.

Room Tip: Stay on one of the lower floors so that you can take the stairs. The elevator is a little slow at t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
I'm delighted our property suited your needs for your stay in New York and found our lobby to be cozy and welcoming. We appreciate your feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Alberta Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The Iroquois is a beautiful hotel. I chose it because of it's location to Times Square & 5th Avenue and because it also got good reviews here. The staff were very professional and always had a smile. The room was clean and cozy. Our suite, #1000, had the most amazing view of Rockefeller Centre. Also, the windows open nice and wide, which was good because the hotel has that stuffy old hotel air, which gives it its charm but also makes it hard to sleep at night. Of course opening the window makes it louder than normal; I brought earplugs. If you are a light sleeper, BRING earplugs to New York!

My husband thought the room was a little small but I thought it was just right. When your on a quick 4 day'er, you don't spend any time in it anyway. It had a TV, dresser draws, a little fridge, a good sized bathtub shower and a desk with chair. Pretty standard.

Unfortunately, we did not eat in the hotel restaurant but a lady in the elevator told me that it was great. Within a 5 block radius there are plenty of restaurants and Irish Pubs (which happen to be my favourite!), so the hotel ammendities were not that important to me on this trip. There is a good, reasonably priced, family style restaurant at the end of the block called "the red flame". Great breakfast diner restaurant for it's price.

As I mentioned, the hotel is close to everything. Don't kid yourself though, if you are in New York to see the sights, you will be walking alot. Bring good shoes. The hotel conceirge was fabulous when it came to giving us directions, especially subway lines, so don't worry about having to navigate it all by yourself.

Thumbs up Iroquois... we will be back.

Room Tip: Again Room 1000 had a great view but it was right across from the elevator.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor! I'm pleased to hear our property fulfilled your needs while visiting New York City. Not only are the attractions in our area close by, but our central location makes travel all over the city very simple. We hope to welcome you back on a future trip!

Peabody, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed for the long weekend after Thanksgiving. This was our first stay at the Iroquois Hotel. We loved it! The staff was friendly and the room was as described. It was one of the cleanest rooms we have ever stayed at. The bathroom was updated and wonderful. We received a free breakfast with our reservation. It was GREAT! The orange juice was fresh squeezed and delicious. The basket of pastries were fresh and the fruit was freshly cut. Our waiter was very nice and made sure we had everything we needed. We would surely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your holiday stay and sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I'm pleased to know that you found our hotel and staff warm and welcoming. I will be honored to pass your kind words to restaurant staff as well. We hope to welcome you back on your future visit to New York!

Assistant Front Desk Manager
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

After being in many hotels around the world, there is no other place like the Iroquois! The staff, cleanliness and comfort gets better with every stay. We will definitely choose and recommend others to choose the Iroquois as their Midtown Manhattan hotel! We look forward to staying there again!

• Stayed November 2012
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and sharing such kind compliments with the Trip Advisor community! Your words are too kind. I hope we do see you again and if so we look forward to welcoming you back.

Assistant Front Office Manager

Been to The Iroquois? Share your experiences!