“Nice hotel, small standard rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Belleclaire

You added Hotel Belleclaire to your Saves list
Hotel Belleclaire
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   250 West 77th Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #202 of 463 Hotels in New York City
“Nice hotel, small standard rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Picked this hotel for the location and the price. The hotel is recently renovated so everything feels fresh but if you take a "standard" room, know that it is small. Very small. Like no bureau and not much room for two suitcases! But we don't spend much time in our room when we're in NY and I care more about nice towels (GREAT towels) and good bedding.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ana N, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Eric C,

Thank you so much for your great review! We love hearing that you were able to take advantage of our prime location, the value and all amenities that Belleclaire has to offer. We really appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!

Warm Regards,

212-706-4479 / salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My best friend and I stayed at Belleclaire on Feb. 2013.. Everything was perfect, nice location, staff. Everybody was very nice and great with us. I will be back soon. The Location was amazing, we was in love with the Neighborhood.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear bellac25,

Thank you for the wonderful review of your recent visit to the Belleclaire Hotel. We are happy with your comments regarding our wonderful location and services. As you already kindly mention, Belleclaire is located two blocks away from the subway train station and steps to some of the best small restaurants and coffee shops. We are looking forward to your return and hope to see you soon!

Warm Regards,

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Belleclaire has a old modern feel to it. I stayed in a broadway king and it was great views up and down broadway a little noisy but remember your in New York. I will point out the bell staff is great especially David he goes out of his way and is very welcoming and knowledgeable of the area. I will definitely be back broadway room great and staff great

Room Tip: Broadway king a little noises because of the firehouse but worth it
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear 886JohnP886,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at the Hotel Belleclaire! The exceptional quality of personal service and amenities are the hotel’s signature approach. We provide complimentary high speed wi-fi access, a mini refrigerator in each guest room, game room with over 10,000 arcade style games and 27-inch MAC computers, C.O. Bigelow bath amenities, and 24 hour access to the fitness center and media lounge to name a few. In addition to our newly renovated and pristine lobby and guest rooms, all bathrooms will feature newly renovated and modern floor to ceiling glass enclosed showers, tasteful espresso vanities, and a splash of white stonewash tiles.

With steps away to the subway station, our location offers easy access to various main attractions and locations throughout NYC. Take a walk through the picturesque Central Park, dine at a world class gourmet restaurant, let music fill your ears at Lincoln Center and top off the night with delicious cupcakes from Crumbs Bake Shop.

I’m very happy to read your comments regarding our Broadway King accommodations and the appraisal of our team and services, and I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts.We were delighted to accommodate your reservation needs and look forward to your future stay at Hotel Belleclaire!

Montville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Belleclaire on March 26, 2013. After spending an amazing the day at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, we walked across Central Park and Strawberry Fields and found the Belleclaire a few short blocks up 77th Street and Broadway. It is centrally located in the middle of everything and two blocks from the Museum of Natural History. There are loads of stores, boutiques and restaurants in the neighborhood full of expensive Brownstones. Upon arrival, the valet was helpful in handling our bag. Valet parking is available in front of the hotel (although parking anywhere in NYC is crazy expensive). The lobby had coffee/tea and was clean, bright and open, brimming with the energy of travelers lounging out recounting their exciting time in NYC. The lobby staff was friendly, professional and efficient and quickly checked us in. The Belleclaire is an historic hotel - but in no way tired or old. Indeed, it has been extensively renovated recently and the standards are high and the look, colors, textures and feel are all modern and hip (as are most of the guests, save me). We stayed on the 8th floor and our room, while small, was more than adequate. The bed, pillows and linens were immaculate and sheer luxury (a big upgrade from home). The flat screen TV and cable (with HBO) was a nice bonus. There is a medium size closet, with a safe, iron and blow dryer and a smallish desk and chest of drawers. The bathroom was fantastic, with an oversized shower head and expensive minty aromatherapy soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. Thick towels topped things off. We walked to a local grocery/fruit store on Broadway (Northeast corner of Broadway and 77th) and were blown away by the enormous selection of beer, wine, prepared foods, cheese, desserts, snacks and groceries. The bagel place right next door was great the next morning too. I have read a few reviews that complain about the level of noise in the room and they are 100% right - it is indeed noisy outside. It is Manhattan electricity noisy - the sound of a vibrant metropolis that move full speed 24 hours a day! Yes - you hear taxi cabs blowing their horns at 3:00 am - welcome to New Yawk! Enough already with this complaint - maybe those reviewers should stick to more pastoral environs. ANY hotel in the middle of NYC is going to be a little noisy – it was not distracting to me or my wife. We actually enjoyed it! We were afforded a late checkout and the front desk cheerfully agreed to watch our overnight bag while we went to the Museum of Natural History for the afternoon. We had brunch at Isabella's a few blocks away (across museum) and enjoyed a scrumptious meal. After a lovely afternoon at the museum, we picked up our bag and headed-home to NJ. All in all, this place is fantastic for twice the price. It is a rare NY bargain. I heartily endorse the Hotel Belleclaire to friends and family looking for the perfect NYC getaway and my wife and I are already plotting a return visit!

Room Tip: It's best to ask for a King Size bed room and for light sleepers, you may not want your room to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LittleFerryMatt,

Fantastic! Thank you for spending the time telling us (in details) about your amazing experience at Hotel Belleclaire. We are very thrilled with your comments regarding our new lobby renovation, the Upper West Side location, the cleanliness, the comfort and especially: the superb service. I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts and service. We love hearing that you were able to take advantage of our prime location. As you already kindly mention, Belleclaire is located close to the best museums in NY City, Central Park, and far from the chaos of shopping crowds in midtown. Our hotel is two blocks away from the subway train station and is situated in a friendly neighborhood, were there are lots of restaurants, bars, shops and places and which is very appreciated by our guests.

It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service. We really appreciate your business and your feedback, and we certainly look forward to welcoming your family and friends soon at Belleclaire!

Best Regards,

Coolangatta, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I searched for some time before settling on this hotel. Mainly because I couldn't decide on a location and then there seemed to be so many choices.... and price was part of the equation. We chose this one mainly because of tripadvisor reviews and we are happy we did.
The location is superb! we loved the neighborhood and being away from the main attractions. Whilst Times Square was exciting, after 2 nights in there we were happy to be out of it.

The rooms were spacious and the beds comfortable. A couple of tips, run the hot water in the shower for at least 10 minutes, eventually you will get hot water and it is a good supply. The walls are paper-thin and I coped better with the outside noise than the noise from neighbors.
The first night there was a bit of noise from people across the hall and this was quashed very swiftly by staff.

The rooms have bar-fridge we we found handy for storing food items to keep costs down and I asked for a kettle which was happily accommodated by staff. There are free coffee and tea beverages in the lobby which is comfortable. We had free wifi in our rooms and there is a business centre where you can print vouchers and airline tickets.

There is a great super-market around the corner with gourmet foods and home made meals which you can heat up in the microwave area of the hotel. I also used the laundry service next door - $5.50 for up to 9 pounds of washing, that is washed and folded!

There are plenty of restuarants and cafes around, a great Aussie Bar just up the street - 'The SUnburnt Calf' and a worhtwhile stand-up comedy bar close bar.
I would highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: The walls are paper-thin, ask for a kettle if you want tea and coffee in your room. We also used the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The hotel is a beautiful historic hotel on the Upper West Side, close to the #1 subway and nice dining options. When I arrived I was greeted by exceptionally friendly clerks. Check in was smooth, and I went up to my third floor room which was small, but that is to be expected in a hotel of this age. The room had been updated with a laminate wood-looking floor, a fresh coat of paint (although I would recommend the painters paint the entire wall area around the window because an unfinished look is not a good one. And while we're at it, remove the unused valance brackets that are hanging from the ceiling.), a comfy bed and nice toiletries. A few distracting points besides the unpainted areas around the window: someone had clearly spilled coffee on the wall behind one of the bedside tables. Very icky and obvious. Housekeeping should have noticed that immediately. Then, the clock was an hour and 10 minutes off and I couldn't figure out how to adjust the time. I left a note for housekeeping to adjust the clock, but my request was ignored. The second day I left two notes covering the clock, but again my request was ignored. My traveling companions noted that the clock in their room was off by 20 minutes and they couldn't figure out how to change the time either, and this was from very tech savvy people. The elevator can be slow, so If you don't mind stairs, walk down to see the details in the wrought-iron railings. The bed was very comfortable, and as others have noted, the radiators can make some funky noises while you try to sleep. Some people mentioned the room was really hot, so knowing this, I immediately turned off my radiators and by the time I went to sleep, it was comfortably cool in the room. (It was in the 20's at night.) I turned the radiator to the "1" position, and found that was a perfect temperature for sleeping. Radiators are quirky and such is life in an old hotel. But besides the icky spill on the wall, the room was clean and comfortable and the staff was helpful. This is not an expensive hotel and the location can't be beat if you want to avoid the hustle and bustle of Times Square hotels and yet be within walking distance of museums and restaurants. We would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Litchfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Well situated in the upper West side of New York with good restaurants nearby. This hotel is easy breezy. The staff is helpful and the rooms are nicely appointed and clean. Yes slightly small as is mostly true in all cities everywhere today. I would recommend the Belleclaire for families, couples and business travelers.

Room Tip: Upper floors are quieter at night as street noise is endemic throughout NYC
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Belleclaire? Share your experiences!