“Great bang for the buck” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Belleclaire

You added Hotel Belleclaire to your Saves list
Hotel Belleclaire
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   250 West 77th Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #203 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Oak Park
“Great bang for the buck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We usually stay with family when in NY. But a family event necessitated a stay at an upper west side hotel. Our family here booked four rooms. Except for some outside noise, this was a lovely hotel with helpful staff. The room was clean, recently renovated, and well appointed. I'd stay here again. Great location too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ana N, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear TheatreMan64,

I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us here at Hotel Belleclaire! Thank you for your great review and your comments about the excellent service from our qualified and helpful staff. The Hotel Belleclaire has recently completed a multi-million dollar renovation and continues to improve guest rooms and amenities. We are looking forward to your return! If we could be of any assistance in your future plans, please do not hesitate to contact me directly by calling (212) 706-4479 or email salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com.

212-706-4479 / salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Surprised that this hotel doesn't have a higher rating. Of the four hotels I stayed at on my recent trip to New York, the Belleclaire represented the best value. I booked a special for $105 AUD and couldn't fault the room for this price. Small but not tiny; well kept furnishings, spotless private bathroom and very toasty. Nothing 'down at heel' about the place that I noticed. Free coffee was also thrown in and the service of a knowledgeable concierge (though the ticket prices I was quoted for shows seemed incredibly high). The building is somewhat of a historic landmark, conceived at the turn of the century when many a turreted and gargoyled mansion lined the streets of the well-to-do Upper West. I liked turning the corner from Broadway and seeing the hotel's beaux arts decorated exterior with carved faces, leafy motifs and stone arches. The Upper West is quieter than Midtown but still has tons of great eateries within a stone’s throw of the hotel. It's also an easy 15 minute walk to the elegant Lincoln Centre, where you can catch some theatre, opera, classical music or ballet. I walked back from the Lincoln at 11.30 at night and felt as safe as a solo female relatively can, after dark. Oh, and there's a 24 hour grocer two blocks away if you get a midnight craving for pumpkin pie!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Ana N, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear PaulaHWithoutAnAlias,

We are very happy with your comments regarding our wonderful location, our Hotel value, our Front Desk/Concierge staff and Housekeeping service. I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts and service. I notice as well your mention about the safe and convenient location of our Hotel Belleclaire. It is true that it’s in a perfect and desirable location, just a stone throw away from Central Park and is situated in a friendly neighborhood on the Upper West Side, were there are lots of restaurants/cafes, bars, shops and places and which is very appreciated by our guests. I am delighted to hear you had the opportunity to take a stroll down Broadway and experience the wonders of the city life!

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at Belleclaire. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service.
Please contact me directly by calling (212) 706-4479 or email salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com if your future plans bring you back to New York City.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed at the Belleclaire for four nights last week. Large bright lobby, comfortable to sit in while waiting for friends. I arrived at 1.30pm and was able to check in immediately which was great. First room I was given was a little dull so asked to be moved. This was dealt with very well and I was moved to a lovely room on the 8th floor with a fabulous view of the Hudson. Room was very comfortable, extremely clean, lovely linen, hardwood floor and super modern bathroom with enormous shower, lots of hot water at all times and great toiletries. Room had a good sized wardrobe, safe, fridge, proper hair dryer (not one of the usual powerless ones stuck to the wall). Room was also a good size (we had booked a deluxe Queen Room). Room was also quiet and so comfortable.

Housekeeping was great, room cleaned to great standard each day. Towels replenished if required.

A lot of people are complaining about the heating...we had no difficulty with this. On the first night we left the heat on and woke up to extremely hot room...but we just turned off the heat and room was perfect a few minutes later. Other nights we turned off heat before going to bed and were always warm enough. We didn't find this to be a problem at all.

There was tea, coffee and hot chocolate available in the lobby most of the time. Was lovely to grab a hot chocolate on the way to our room when we returned from a cold night out or to take a coffee in the morning whilst heading out to explore.

The location is simply perfect, the hotel is on the Upper West Side and is very near the subway (79th and Broadway) and only a short trip to Times Square. Easy access to anywhere. Also stop at 72nd and Broadway is very near and it's a lovely walk up Broadway to the hotel from this stop, we used this more as we passed such nice markets and stores on this route. There are many wonderful places nearby like gourmet food staples Zabars, Fairway, Citarella and plenty of large stores such as Sephora, Victorias Secret, Duane Reed, Zara, North Face, Urban Outfitters, a discount designer shoe outlet etc etc, plenty of restaurants, cafes etc. It's also only three blocks from Central Park and the Amerian Museum of Natural History. Lovely area to walk around, wouldn't stay anywhere else again!

Overall, we had an excellent stay and I will definitely stay again and would highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DreamTrips2013,

Fantastic! Thank you so much for the detailed and fabulous review! We are very thrilled with your comments regarding our desirable Upper West Side location, the cleanliness, the comfort, amenities, and the great service. I love hearing that you were able to take advantage of Belleclaire Hotel, conveniently located a few blocks from the subway, Central Park and the best museums in NYC and far from the chaos of shopping crowds in midtown. It makes me really happy to know that Hotel Belleclaire provided an authentic NYC experience for you. We really appreciate your business and your feedback, and we certainly look forward to welcoming your family and friends soon at Belleclaire. If we could be of any assistance in your future plans, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com or call (212) 706 4479.

new hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip for 2 nights. The location is great, the hotel itself is fine, and the staff were friendly. The rooms were clean, updated (except for old tile floor in bath), and the bed, linens, free Internet and toiletries were excellent. However, the radiator never shuts off and the room is too hot for sleeping. They have the a/c on constantly but it is not enough. I would not stay here again for this reason.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Frequent_traveler061,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with the Hotel Belleclaire. Your feedback is essential to our success! Please allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We have alerted our staff and will take proactive measures to avoid this issue in the future.

The Hotel Belleclaire has recently completed a multi-million dollar renovation and continues to improve guest rooms and amenities. In addition, we have renovated over half of our guest room bathrooms in the last year. The "green tiled" bathroom will be eliminated very soon this year. We would be delighted to welcome you back to our hotel and can assure a pleasant, restful visit. Feel free to contact me directly or our General Manager; Scott Geres (212-706-4469 / sgeres@hotelbelleclaire.com), to discuss this matter further.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

We recently took a group of students, close to 30 people total, including chaperones, to an event at Columbia, and lodged at the Belleclaire.
What a great find. Commodious well appointed chic rooms. Friendly and helpful staff. Wonderful location.
Reasonable price.
In retrospect , we couldn't have asked for a better deal or a Nicer place to stay. I'm glad one of our people found the Belleclaire. We definitely will be back, and we have already gotten friends to consider it for their Fall wedding.
Thanks a mil.
Tony

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Adisa F, Director of Sales at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Tony,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at the Hotel Belleclaire! The exceptional quality of personal service and amenities are the hotel’s signature approach. We provide complimentary high speed wi-fi access, morning coffee and tea in the newly renovated and pristine lobby, a mini refrigerator in each guest room, 24 hour access to the fitness center and media lounge to name a few. In addition to our newly renovated lobby and guest rooms, all bathrooms will feature newly renovated and modern floor to ceiling glass enclosed showers, tasteful espresso vanities, and a splash of white stonewash tiles.

With steps away to the subway station, our location offers easy access to various main attractions and locations throughout NYC. Take a walk through the picturesque Central Park, dine at a world class gourmet restaurant, let music fill your ears at Lincoln Center and top off the night with delicious cupcakes from Crumbs Bake Shop.

We were delighted to accommodate your reservation needs and look forward to your future stay at Hotel Belleclaire!

Grazie Mille!

Clifton Park, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for one night while attending a performance of the NYC Ballet at Lincoln Center. We were able to walk back and forth to the ballet and felt safe in the area. The beds were extremely comfortable and had very nice linens. We also experienced the noisy radiators but ours was not too bad as to keep us up at night. We were able to regulate the heat on it also. I was able to book the room during a "black friday rate sale" and enjoyed an excellent rate.
The staff was really friendly and helpful and I hope to stay here again when attending the ballet.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing the positive review! As you kindly mentioned, the exceptional quality of personal service and amenities are the hotel’s signature approach. I’m pleased to read your appraisal of our team, the value, services, and the very kind remarks and recognition of our staff’s efforts. It’s great to hear you took advantage of the prime location in the heart of the Upper West Side and enjoyed a good night of ballet at the famous Lincoln Center. I do sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. This certainly will be addressed and we will take proactive measures to avoid this issue in the future for a more pleasant, restful visit. Again, we truly appreciate the positive review! We hope to see you soon!

Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had a perfectly lovely stay at the Hotel Belleclaire for a total of 9 nights. I am a native New Yorker and I no longer have family in the city, but the Hotel Belleclaire made me feel absolutely at home in the neighborhood where I grew up. The young staff was enthusiastic and helpful. The rooms and bathrooms were comfortable, tasteful, and overheated in typical UWS pre-war building fashion (this was a very good thing considering the bitter cold outside; however, it is easy to turn the heating up or down). The wi-fi was strong and I was able to work easily. There was an ironing board, iron, hair-drier... everything you might need to make a home away from home -- except for coffee in your room and room service (food delivery can be arranged, though). The hotel provides self-service coffee in the lobby in the morning, but it would have been lovely to have a real breakfast or at least a kettle in the room. That is my only criticism. Towels were fluffy, beds comfy and the price was right. I will definitely be making it my home base in NYC.

Room Tip: If you're a native New Yorker, you are probably used to having a view of a brick wall. Those ro...