“Lousy "hardware" - Pleasant "software" in the Big Apple” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Belleclaire

You added Hotel Belleclaire to your Saves list
Hotel Belleclaire
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   250 West 77th Street, New York City, NY 10024 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #202 of 463 Hotels in New York City
netanya, israel
“Lousy "hardware" - Pleasant "software" in the Big Apple”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We have spent four nights in mid November at the New York 's city Belleclaire hotel..
The address seemed convenient (Broadway at 77th street) which indeed it has been, just a couple of blocks from the closest subway station at 79th street. Rooms however proved to be a great disappointment..Upon arriva we got room 929,.. remember the number and avoid at any cost. It looked more like a cell for the condemned, with a window facing a wall three feet away than a New York city hotel room with effective price (i.e. including the taxes of $220). Only after three attempts of changing rooms in various floors we were worn out and settled for whatever the very nice receptionist offered.. Travelars definitely deserve a better deal.

Room Tip: Don't accept the first room you are offered at the reception. Go upstairs and check it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Adisa F, Manager at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending the time telling us about your experience at Hotel Belleclaire.
We are pleased with your comments regarding our wonderful location and our Front Desk service. I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts and service. I am sorry you didn't experience our Deluxe rooms with the Broadway Views. Please feel free to contact me directly by calling (212) 706 4479 or email salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com, I will be more than happy to assist you with any questions or concerns you might have or your future travel plans. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Adisa F.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Greek first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We were delighted with Hotel Belleclaire. The staff was welcoming, informed and available. The beds were superb and the location is terrific with bus and subway stops very close-by.

My only complaint was that there was a bit of street noise (but that is part of New York!) and some construction going on but it did not disturb our sleep.

We will definitely return.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room away from Broadway.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Adisa F, Manager at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,
Fantastic! Thank you so much for your great review! We love hearing that you were able to take advantage of our prime location. We really appreciate your business, and hope to welcome you back soon. If we could be of any assistance in your future plans, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com or call (212) 706 4479.
Best Regards,

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed at the Belleclaire for 6 nights during the Thanksgiving holiday. We could not have been more satisfied. The lobby renovation is almost completed as of 11/25/2012. The only thing left is the new bar that they appear to be installing. Others have complained of slow or inoperable elevators. There are 3 elevators in the building. 2 of them appear to be newly remodeled and are not slow at all. The 3rd elevator is for the maintenance and housekeeping, this one is a little slow. For the 6 days we were there we never once had a long wait to go up or down to our room, which was on the 9th floor. Our room was very nice and clean, with a view of the Hudson river. As we all know, space on Manhattan is at a premium, so the rooms are normal size for NYC, I've had smaller. But the character of the building and the AWESOME location are unbeatable. We have stayed in Times Sq. before and will never do it again, There is so much more to see. The UWS is fabulous, with the restaurants and shopping. The train is right up 2 blocks and taxis galore.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river and as high as possible to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your excellent review!
I am delightful to read your appraisal of our team, services and I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your amazing remarks and recognition of their efforts. As you already kindly mention, Belleclaire is located on the Upper West Side, close to the best museums in NY City and far from the chaos of shopping crowds in midtown. Our new lobby is on the final stage of construction and we look forward to welcoming you again soon at Belleclaire. If we could be of any assistance in your future plans, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com or call (212) 706 4479.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 3 nights and it was wonderful. The room was lovely and plenty of room for us. The bathroom was spotless and each day on returning from shopping/sightseeing, the room smelt lovely and fresh. The down side was we checked out from the room early so we could do a few more hourts shopping before having to leave late afternoon for the airport. I remebered I had left some items on the window ledge in the room, a brand new neck support for the plane still in its packaging and a new paperbook. We returned to the hotel to collect our cases and asked reception to check with housekeeping. Funnily enough the paperback was returned to me but the neck support 'disappeared', even though I know they were both together on the window ledge. May the $15 tip I left was not enough!!! I was really annoyed but didn't want to kick up a fuss, its not what we brits do!. It was a sour end to a really enjoyable trip. My facecloth also disappeared on our second day but I put that down to looking similar to the hotel facecloths even though mine was much better quality and had a pattern on it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are happy with your comments regarding our Belleclaire Hotel and Housekeeping service. I am sorry that you had a less than exceptional experience and that there were a few elements of your stay that you found needed improvement. We have brought this matter to the attention of our General Manager, Mr. Scott Geres. In case you would personally want to discuss with Mr. Geres, please feel free to contact him directly by calling (212) 706-4469 or email: sgeres@hotelbelleclaire.com. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Kind Regards,
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Reviews sometimes fail to take into account the type of dwelling (Hotel, Motel, Inn, B & B, Hostel etc.), and category (Luxury, High end, Moderate, Economy) that may or may not justify the cost and availability of dwellings for travelers in a desired area. My 5 star rating for the Belleclaire is relative to other moderate hotels on the UWS --specifically in the 70 and 80 blocks close to Broadway.

The cleanliness, comfort, and amenities offered by this hotel far exceeded our expectations, as did the staff's professional, courteous response to the dilemma of 3rd party travel sites overbooking on a busy Saturday night -- one week post-Hurricane Sandy, when many displaced New Yorkers were living in hotels.

My husband and I are a mature, professional couple who chose the Belleclaire that particular Sat. night due to apartment hunting on the UWS and proximity to appointments we had the following day in the area. Since we live on Long Island/Suffolk County, my office is in Manhattan, I work late and LIRR trains are scarce after midnight --I've stayed in hotels in the city @ 80 nights yearly for the past 2 years, often those in the Hilton and Affinia chains as there's a broad choice in the area I work.

We arrived at the Belleclaire around 6 pm, and though I had a confirmation # for the booking, the gentleman at the reception desk had difficulty finding the reservation. (It was made through a popular 3rd party site who apparently overbooked.) He graciously told us it would take some time but indeed he would place us, and we were given a key to the "guest suite" which was 1 floor up, had comfortable seating, free coffee and snacks, a rest room and a large screen, HD television.

Our room (King/Deluxe) was a good size compared to other Manhattan hotels. We had a lovely view from the 11th floor, and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom had a full tub, was impeccably clean, and the toiletries were a brand sometimes offered in luxury hotels. There were perks that made the $210 price especially reasonable: free WIfi, tickets to a comedy club, and vouchers for a free (full American) breakfast at a local eatery.

The next day we found a lovely apartment in the area, so starting in 2013 I'll no longer need to stay at hotels in the city. But since our new home only has 2 bdrms., we have 2 grown children + extended family members likely to visit -- we are thrilled to have found the Belleclaire and will recommend it highly to family, friends, and acquaintances.

Dr. Cynthia Donahue
Melville, New York

Room Tip: Higher floors have lovely view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Adisa F, Manager at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Cynthia,
Thank you for spending the time telling us (in details) about your amazing experience at Hotel Belleclaire. We are very thrilled with your comments regarding our Upper West Side location, the cleanliness, the comfort and especially: the superb service. I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts and service. We appreciate your business and your feedback, and we certainly look forward to welcoming your family and friends soon at Belleclaire. If we could be of any assistance in your future plans, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com or call (212) 706 4479.
Best regards,
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

They are just redoing the lobby but the accommodations were lovely. As in any new york hotel the rooms are small but adequate. They are clean and have all the amenities needed. The staff is very kind and very helpful. When you first arrive there are doormen to greet you or take your luggage. It is walking distance to everything including Zabar's and lots of good shopping and restaurants. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the wonderful review of your recent visit to the Belleclaire Hotel. I am delighted to read your appraisal of our team, services and I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service. We are looking forward to your return! If we could be of any assistance in your future plans, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com or call (212) 706 4479.
Best regards,
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in November. The hotel was selected by the couple we were traveling with for the price. Economically the hotel was priced considerably less than other hotels in Midtown during the time we were traveling. Check in was quick and our desk clerk was friendly. The lobby was under construction but is small to begin with so there was no need to be in the lobby except when coming to or leaving the hotel. The elevator was extremely small and not very quick so we used the stairs for the majority of our trip. The overall room experiance was good. The room was clean and contained everything we needed. The room was very small and looks smaller than the rooms pictured on the website. We got a king size room and it was still smaller than I expected. It was not a real problem until we needed to open up the ironing board and then the room was cramped. Like most of the other reviews the AC unit in the window was noisy at times. The hotel is heated by a central heat system which made it pretty warm in our room forcing us to open the bathroom window and turn on the noisy AC unit. Our room was located over the lobby so we did get some construction noise during the day and no views from our room. The bed was not that comfortable but good enough to get a decent night sleep in.

The business center was one of the better ones I have seen at a hotel. All of the computers were Apple Macs with very large screens and a printer easy to use.

The location of the hotel was great for us. There were two subway stops within 2-5 blocks of the hotel. Grabbing a taxi on the corner of 77th and Broadway was very easy. There were several little markets and stores within walking distance, along with many restaurants and a few places for drinks. We also were within 4-5 blocks of Central Park which was very convenient.

Overall we had a good experiance with no problems. I think the location was great if you want to be on the upper west side away from Times Square and tourist spots. When we did go into Downtown or Times Square it was easy to get to from our hotel. It was a good value for the money.

Room Tip: Higher floor close to the stairs
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Adisa F, Manager at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest,
We are very happy with your comments regarding our wonderful location, business center and our Front Desk and Housekeeping service. I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts and service. As you already kindly mention, Belleclaire is located close to the best museums in NY City and far from the chaos of shopping crowds in midtown. Our hotel is two blocks away from the subway train station and steps to some of the best small restaurants and coffee shops. Thank you for letting us know that there were a few elements of your stay that you found needed improvement (A/C, noise), and these will certainly be addressed and corrected. Our new lobby is on the final stage of construction and we look forward to welcoming you again soon at Belleclaire.
Please feel free to contact me directly at salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com or call (212) 706 4479.
Adisa F.

Been to Hotel Belleclaire? Share your experiences!