“Excellent location and good value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel

You added 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel to your Saves list
6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6 Columbus Circle, New York City, NY 10019 (Formerly 6 Columbus - A Thompson Hotel) (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #289 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Jarvenpaa, Finland
“Excellent location and good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The location was excellent and we really loved our room. Good quality linen, fairly new bathroom and hardwood floors were the best. It was also nice to see a little bit of sky from our window... The staff was really friendly and they did their best to help us with all of our needs. We would like to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Kristine R, Front Office Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Sanna2012,

Thank you for your excellent review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Making (and keeping) our guests happy is our number one priority at 6 Columbus and I am glad to hear our staff made your stay memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Please reach out to me directly so I can assist with your next reservation.

6 Columbus, a Thompson Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Turkish first
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed here merely because we needed 1 extra night before moving to our hotel booking and we needed somewhere cheap (got a good offer on hotel tonight).

It's a silly hotel. it looks vaguely nice from outside, but it's one of those that when you enter you know exactly what you're going to get. You're plunged into darkness, the lobby is small and mopey, the reception is lacklustre. Our room was on the 2nd floor and the corridor actually smelt of vomit.

The room itself was very small and had very little natural light. And you know what, fine it's small, it's New York, but don't then put extremely sharp corners on your beds - it's just silly and means people are going to get hurt. The bed was also very small, I'm not sure it was even a full double. The bathroom was remarkably big, but very cold and lacking in any heating system.

A 20 or early 30 something would be okay with this, but if our parents checked in, god forbid - don't do it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, NYf
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Any place that had room for a Sandy refugee was going to get props from me, particularly one at a very reasonable rate (for NYC)....That said, being a huge fan of the Thompson Beverly Hills, I sort of knew what to expect room-wise. It isn't super posh. It is, rather, dark and slick and perhaps in need of a little bit of primping. The location, however, is phenomenal and the atmosphere is great if its what you want. There's an aesthetic for every taste in Manhattan. Along the same lines, if you are coming to NYC for a view, make sure you ask for one (and be prepared to pay for it). Many of us go through life in the city staring at elevator shafts and brick walls. The staff was very courteous and helpful, despite it being an insane week in NY given the storm and, I'm sure, running short on sleep and support. My only critique is that I would suggest that management fixes the VERY squeaky bed in the Thompson Penthouse, and that they make sure that all the little amenities are there (I was short some bathroom products, etc.). However, they get a pass because I'm sure things were a little off kilter due to the circumstances.

Room Tip: See above. Great location for visiting the city, but views from the hotel may leave something to be...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Toonces47,

Thank you so much for your kind review! We truly appreciate your loyalty to Thompson Hotels as a whole, and thank you for staying with us at 6 Columbus. I am so glad our team could take care of you during Hurricane Sandy-- but I hope you can stay with us at a time that isn't quite so unique! I assure you we will address your concerns and make sure every detail is covered for your next stay with us. Please feel free to contact me directly and I can assist with your reservations.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We were refugees from our lightless and power-free block in lower Manhattan due to Hurricane Sandy for three nights. We were lucky to get a room anywhere in Manhattan. Still, it was pretty bad of this hotel to go on charging 15 dollars a day for wi fi Internet access when not many people staying in hotels were there by choice that week. I think it was pretty bad to go on raising the price to the weekend rate on Friday night, too - the manager agreed not to charge the full 605 dollars, but to lower it to 545 - still 150 dollars more than the night before. A friend who stayed here two weeks before got the identical room with free wi fi and breakfast for 350 dollars. I don't think they were deliberately gouging customers in a difficult situation. But some flexibility would have created a lot of good will. We stayed here when we had no alternative. When we do have a choice, we'll go somewhere else. The kKimpton is a good chain.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Great location close to central park. Excellent customer service from check in to bellmen to room service. I was there for a bachelorette with 8 girls, so we had 4 to a room with sofa bed. Bed was great, but the sofa bed wasn't the most comfortable.
Rooms were large, comfortable and clean to accommodate all 8 of us in 1 room for getting ready and bachelorette games/festivities.
Free wifi at Starbucks next door. Across street from subway. 24 hr pharmacy next door. Whole foods across street.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear TorontoTravelBugz,

Thank you for your great review! Your feedback means a lot to us, and I'm so happy that our team could take care of you. I hope the bachelorette festivities went well! Please reach out to me directly when you are planning your next trip to New York and I'll be more than happy to assist with reservations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best Regards,
Windsor, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed there for three days on business and whilst the staff were helpful and mostly friendly I found the general atmosphere opressive and gloomy, from the black scuffed floorboards to the brown fur skins on the lobby wall. There was a perpetual smoker on my floor and so it smelt of cigarette smoke and my window looked out onto the kitchen extractor shaft. They kindly swapped my first room to another, but it had the same problem! The Japanese restaurant was excellent for lunch and Whole Foods is just over the road if you are craving something fresh and wholesome to eat for breakfast, rather than more waffles or pancakes. It's location is great and the rooms were clean with nice shampoo! Only other thing was that the iPod dock made my iPod crash and the wi-fi wasn't free. Don't think I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kristine R, Front Office Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear SophieMaltzahn,

I am happy to hear that our staff was most helpful during your stay. Excellent service is our top priority at 6 Columbus, and I am glad we didn't disappoint. While it is unfortunate that you didn't like the overall design of our hotel, we appreciate that you enjoyed our location. I can also assure you we have a variety of rooms and suites throughout the hotel that may be more to your liking than the two rooms you had already experienced. Please contact me directly on your next visit to New York and I will gladly provide you with a tour of our options, and can also assist with any reservation inquiries.

6 Columbus - a Thompson Hotel
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed at 6 Columbus last weekend. The staff was friendly and efficient. The room was clean, well equipped, and nicely decorated. Bed was very comfortable. Location is great- a block away from Columbus Circle. Have stayed at other places in NYC on previous trips but now that I've stayed here, I'm sure I'll be staying here again when I'm in town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kristine R, Front Office Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Paul,

Thank you for your kind words. We truly appreciate it! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please let me know when you are returning to New York next and I will help in any way that I can.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

6 Columbus, a Thompson Hotel

Been to 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel? Share your experiences!