“Location, Location and a 3.5 Rating (actually)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel

You added 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel to your Saves list
6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel
6 Columbus Circle, New York City, NY 10019 (Formerly 6 Columbus - A Thompson Hotel) (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #288 of 459 Hotels in New York City
New York
“Location, Location and a 3.5 Rating (actually)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I leave close enough to Manhattan that it is a 90 minute train ride...and far enough away that the ride can seem very long at 1 am so... I often stay overnight in the City and often at 6 Columbus. The reason? It's a great location, it has some nice staff members and the adjoining restaurant, Blue Ribbon Sushi is overpriced but has solid sushi--and is deservedly favour (oddly) for fried chicken. They have a good saki selection, creative cocktails and... did I mention the Marrow Fried Rice? Fantastic. Most important, the restaurant closes relatively late--around 2 am, so it is a good post-show option.

The rooms are spartan (watch out for the corners of those beds!), with Frette-style comforters and a revived mod-style. The mini-bar is small but diverse, though I have to warn that room service is limited, in both selections and service times (for those desperate, there is a Starbucks next door if you run into am problems). Also next door is Columbus Circle and of course Central Park. If you want a more upscale experience a drink at a time, go to Bar Masa or the Mandarin Oriental. THere's also jazz at Lincoln Center... in short, if you're looking for activities, research Columbus Circle because that has lots of possibilities, many iconic NY, and it is right across the street.

Downsides: The decor and its concept is not to my taste, though I don't think it is wretched. The room service is, as I mentioned, spotty, the lighting is good for an orgy but bad for practical things like getting dressed for an am meeting etc. ALSO: do NOT stay at this hotel on New Year's Eve. It is a terrible choice because 1) their restaurant/bar/social scene shuts down for a staff party at around 8 and all the surrounding scenes are in hotels for the most part and around New Year's they won't let in those who are not guests of the respective hotels. The result? You're out in the cold, no place for a drink at 11:30 on NY Eve. Just say no.

But, on the whole, this is a good value, good location, reasonable restaurant. It's not going to have the high service profile that caters to your whims like other places (go to the Mandarin for that), but it is a great choice if you're stopping in, need convenience at a good price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Kristine R, Front Office Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear LifeofThings,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, but I am sorry to hear that the décor of our hotel wasn't your taste. I would love to have you stay with one of our sister properties here in New York for your next visit-- I'm confident that we can find one with a design that will be more to your liking. Please contact me directly before your next trip, and I will gladly assist you with this. We would love to have you stay with us again!

6 Columbus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Turkish first
Katonah, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I wanted a low-key hotel but one with upscale amenities. This hotel was perfect. Located right at Columbus circle we were across the street from Central Park West and within a short walk to the theatre district so we didn't have to find cabs to go anywhere. The staff was warm and welcoming and the room was spectacular.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kristine R, Front Office Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Gillian M,

Thank you so much for your great review. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our location and that our team was able to make you feel so welcomed! We are looking forward to welcoming you back to 6 Columbus in the future-- please feel free to reach out to me directly if I can assist with your next reservation.

Best Regards,
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The location (although on 58th st, not actually columbus circle - rather confusing at first) would be extremely difficult to beat here. The air con was amazing, but essential and too noisy to have on at night, which meant the room was pretty stuffy by the morning (no means of opening the window). No view whatsoever, but wouldn't have expected a view of central perk with the prices we were paying!

After reading about how small rooms tend to be in NY, we opted for a deluxe queen room (35), which was completely adequate for us. The quality of the bedding was great for a chain hotel and the shower was lovely and powerful. The ipod dock was unplugged and didnt seem to work.

Aside from the location, do not expect any freebies at 6 columbus. We have spent 3 weeks in the USA so far and this is the first place to charge us 15 dollars a day for WIFI. The room is stacked with drinks and snacks, but are ridiculously priced.

Overall, I would rather pay a quarter of the price to stay in the other B&B we stayed in NY in Chelsea - free wifi, tea and coffee go a long way (and surely wouldnt cost the company that much...)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
around
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

First of all, the location couldn't be better - Five minute walk to the opera, ten-fifteen minute walk to Broadway shows and restaurants, across the street from from several subway lines, diagonally adjacent to Central Park.

I paid twice as much for a smaller room at the Essex House last time I was in NY (Essex had a park view, but having done that before, I don't feel the need for that expense any more - especially since I'm out and about most of the time anyway). Plus, 6 Columbus felt more personal than Essex, because the staff was very friendly and helpful. I had a King Deluxe room which had a nice big window at the front of the hotel. I pre-paid to save a little money.

I will stay here next visit!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

from the first phone call my experience with 6 Columbus was more than a pleasant one. They gave great suggestions of dining places and did something a little extra each day to make the experience personal. the rooms where very nice and surprisingly very big. thanks Daniel for providing a great experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mark,

Thank you for the excellent feedback. I'm happy that our team could provide you such a great experience from start to finish. I will definitely ensure they hear your kind words.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly in order to plan your next visit to New York-- I'd love to assist.

Sandy Springs, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

BE FOREWARNED: 6 COLUMBUS IS NOT ON COLUMBUS CIRCLE, JUST CLOSE TO IT. Its actually on 58th which can be confusing for people who you tell to meet you there.

I was recently at a W hotel which has improved upon the idea of boutique (see review of W in Boston). The reason for staying at 6 Columbus is its location. It is a typical boutique in style, which is dark, contemporary and lively, with an overall modern feel. I have been in some boutique hotels that have small rooms, yet they were very functional. I was in room 66 and it was small and very non-functional, Poor task and room lighting, a desk that is unusable and a bed that is sufficient, but with lousy pillows.

Room: The room is cramped in a NY style kind of way. It has adequate power outlets. The TV was just okay with a poor selection of channels. There is sufficient (barely) storage, but it would be inadequate for two people. The view is not much to talk about. There is a desk with very poor task lighting and the windows let in very little light. The worst part is that to use the desk you have to sit on the bed and have your laptop sit in the drawer. It is simply unacceptable. The bathroom is small, but otherwise adequate.

Location: If you are not staying at this hotel for location then don't stay there. The hotel’s location is near Columbus Circle a block from Central Park.

Food: I only had a snack at the bar, but having stayed and dined at this hotel previously I was pleased with the food. The bar is small, but very lively and overall enjoyable. The menu is not expansive and is Asian in nature.r

Hotel Overall: The lobby is small, but has a nice seating area. The staff is young and friendly. I have stayed at other Thompson hotels and have found them to be better choices than 6 Columbus, though the location is hard to beat. For the money, if you don't have to have a boutique hotel i would recommend staying at the Le Meridien which is nearby. The money is about the same on many days and the experience is a lot better.

Room Tip: we had about 8 rooms overall and none of us liked any of the rooms. Skip the king and get a room wi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Stacey S,

Thank you for your honest critique. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our hotel. In the future please let us know immediately when you experience any issues, so we can promptly resolve any problems and you can enjoy the rest of your stay with us. Please rest assured that guest satisfaction is our highest priority at 6 Columbus. We do, as you said, have a great location-- and should you wish to enjoy our location again and give us another try, I'm confident that we can find a room or suite that has a layout more to your liking. We do offer a variety of options throughout the hotel, and I would be happy to personally give you a tour so we can find the one best for you.

Please feel free to contact me directly in case I can be of any assistance to you.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed here for 6 nights. First night I had some issues with noise, I spoke with Adriana at the front desk and she graciously arranged to have me upgraded to a King Suite which was quieter (and larger) than my original room. The doors do tend to slam shut so you can hear some sporadic noise in the hallway. Overall, I had a great stay. The staff was always friendly and welcoming. The rooms do tend to be on the smaller side and a bit darker but it fits the hip-boutique-vibe. I tried out Blue Ribbon and the sushi was fresh and the staff were also great even though they were rather busy for a Thursday night. I've been to the original location in Soho years ago and didn't realize they opened up a sister location. And, if you're a tourist: the location can't be beat. It's right near a major hub of subway lines, Central Park and walking distance to midtown east.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the elevators if you're particular to noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel? Share your experiences!