“Weekend Getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel

Save Saved
You added 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel to your Saves list
6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel
6 Columbus Circle, New York City, NY 10019 (Formerly 6 Columbus - A Thompson Hotel) (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Offers & Announcements
Enoy 10% off rooms!
Ranked #270 of 449 hotels in New York City
Fishkill, New York, United States
“Weekend Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Great location, rooms are very clean, a bit small but larger then some hotels we have
stayed in Manhattan. The bar was bustling, bartender was awesome, the sushi was
excellent, best we have had in a long time. Will definately stay again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kristine R, Front Office Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Donna G,

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Blue Ribbon, our lobby restaurant, is a great part of our guest experience, and I'm glad you had a chance to try them. Thank you for your kind words & this great review.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

495 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was alone in NY for a couple of nights. I chose this hotel because of its location and good quality/price ratio. I was not disappointed, on arrival I was upgraded and my room was very comfortable with all the ammenities necessary for a good weekend. Clearly this is a great location, with easy access to subway or train stations, central park or the museums. Being so near the Lincoln center was a great idea. Only complain, the room was a bit too dark, but if you go to NY for a weekend please don't stay in your room, even in the best palace!
Andresmac

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Andres M,

Thank you for your kind words! It is always wonderful to read such nice things about our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please let me know if I can assist you with booking your next reservation with us.

Cambridge, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I’ve just returned from a wonderful weekend in NY -- and with such mixed feelings about this hotel that I want to like very much, but with which I really have to be very honest.

Always good to start with the positives. For a weekend centered around the Tatzu Nishi Discovering Columbus installation and a concert at the NY Philharmonic, the Columbus Circle location can’t be beat. Hotel staff, from doormen to desk staff to houskeeping ladies were unfailingly kind and helpful.

The room furnishings seemed nearly brand new, sharp (literally), spotlessly clean, and well maintained. The bathroom sparkled. Great water pressure and endless hot water. Towels were probably some of the thickest I’ve had in a hotel. Bed was comfortable and I actually used the bathrobe provided in the closet (stocked with a small refrigerator, various styles of hangers, a safe, and an umbrella.) And finally, something smelled really nice in the room. I still can’t tell if it was, perhaps, some sort of housekeeping product or if it was, in fact, my own hair from the shampoo provided in the bathroom. But man, it smelled nice!

And now… The down side.

I opted for the ‘pod’ room on QuikBook ($249 + taxes) and, in a way, don’t regret that choice. As the smallest room type in the hotel, I found the size itself to be just right for a single traveler staying for two days/one night. It was cozy and in such good repair, so to speak, that it was a pleasure to be in the room. an issue at all, and I’ve certainly stayed in smaller hotel rooms in my life.

However. As the weekend continued on, I began to become increasingly bugged by having paid, ultimately, nearly $300 for such a small room. It started as I continually walked right into the edge of the platform bed, whose corners protuded into the limited walking space. I now have quite a large bruise on my shin from one such encounter, and I really am not a complainer.

It continued as I searched for some surface area on which to rest my phone, wallet, book, and cup of coffee. There were literally no available spaces in the room on which to put anything. The night stands, while sleek and minimal, are so tiny that not a thing can fit aside from what the hotel has already placed there (a phone on one, a clock radio on the other.)

What put me over the edge, however, was the space available on the window sill. While one quarter was covered by two glasses and a small ice container (perfectly fine), three quarters of the sill was splayed with outrageously priced chips, candies, mints, chocolates, water, and wine. $3.50 for a Snickers bar (that I have no desire to eat) and I can’t even find space to put my wallet down next to it and its over-priced companions.

Finally, interrupted sleep was impossible because of the design of each and every room door on the 5th floor (and, I assume, throughout the hotel.) At first, I thought my neighbors could have taken more care to close their own doors more carefully, as I heard the consistent bang-banging of heavy wood and hardware. But in the end, it is impossible, even with the greatest care, to close those doors without waking up the hallway. As my ‘pod’ room was sandwiched at the end of the hallway between two other rooms, I heard this several times throughout night. Then, I myself created equally loud noise for the neighbors in the early morning as I went for and came back with my coffee.

So while there is much to like about this hotel, I left feeling sort of ripped-off and taken advantage of. Like the joke was on me, actually. The larger rooms clearly offer more space, and perhaps have better sound insulation and offer a greater distance from the bed to the door/hallway. I felt that the price/quality ratio for my ‘pod’ was not in my favor this time around.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear MAWander,

Thank you for your honest feedback. While I'm glad that our team was welcoming, I do apologize for the fact that you did not enjoy your stay with us overall. As I'm sure you can understand, our rates fluctuate daily (based on availability and the demanding city-wide events going on frequently in New York) and the price you pay for our rooms can vary greatly throughout the year. I am sorry that our entry level room wasn't large enough for you-- we do have five larger room categories that I'm sure would be more to your liking, and I would be happy to show them to you on your next trip to New York.

Being a Metropolitan city, unfortunately it happens that many guests are running on different schedules, and checking out at different times, creating noise in the hallways. In the future please let us know immediately when your sleep is disturbed so we can take action and speak to your neighboring guests to rectify this situation immediately.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity in the near future. Please contact me directly and I would be happy to help you.

Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

6 Columbus is a fantastic location if you wish to be near Columbus Circle and the lower part of the Upper West Side. But that is the only positive thing I can say about this hotel.

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for two nights in mid September. I am amazed that there are positive reviews on Tripadvisor. It does seem that the hotel draws either very positive or very negative reviews. My view is firmly negative.

The hotel is in an old building - presumably a converted old hotel. It should not be considered a new hotel. Thompson seem to have kept all of the narrow corridors and small spaces. It reminded me of the inside of a two star hotel in Paris. Poorly laid out and cramped. There is one normal size lift and then a tiny lift the size of a cupboard. The colors are all dark and the place looks rather cheap.

We stayed in a king room the room was still very small - even by New York standards. There was no where to put the luggage bags and the only seat faced the door to the room. You could walk around the bed but there was no other space. The bathroom was very small and the shower was in the bath. The bath has to be the narrowest bath I have ever seen and it was an effort to not continuously stand on the plug. The bath was no narrow that your feet were partly on the curved sides.

We woke up one morning to no running water in the room. Apparently there were water pressure problems on the upper floors. It was fixed a few hours later. But I think it shows the limited job which has been done by Thompson to create this hotel.

The bed was comfortable - nice linen.

There was only a curtain across the window - no sheer, so you had to have the room in darkness or the people in the adjacent building could see in.

The room was poorly appointed. The only toiletries were soap and shampoo. No conditioner or body lotion. No ironing board. my wife could not believe the tiny hair dryer.

Our room seemed tired even though the hotel is new. It did not appear to be particularly clean. There were several marks on the furniture and one light bulb was out. The air conditioning was very noisy.

When I checked out I had to ask if the desk person was going to ask how my stay was. She seemed surprised when I told her how disappointing it was.

I have stayed in other boutique New York hotels like The London and The Crosby Street hotel and 6 Columbus is a poor comparison. It is not worth $400 per night. It's rooms are tiny and the building is cramped. I would not recommend it. In hindsight, I should have more carefully looked at the website photos - tiny rooms with basic furnishings and a tiny lobby. Not good signs.

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I've stayed at 6 Columbus a number of times and have always had a great experience. The location is handy - subway station right across the street - and the bellmen have always been able to get me a cab - even at shift change to Laguardia. The rooms are great and I've stayed in both the pod and the King Suite. The pod is small, but all you need in the city. The elevator works with the key card which is nice security. Couldn't be happier.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Westchester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

First time my wife and I stayed here to celebrate anniversary. Received upgrade and the room was wonderful. Service was great and very friendly. Lighting in bathroom was very dim an my wife was frustrated when trying to apply her make-up. A lighted make-up mirror would be a good addition. Also, the tub is narrow and the bathroom certainly was spacious enough to support a larger tub -- stand-up shower would've been nicer (who takes a bath in a hotel?)

Blue Ribbon Sushi in their hotel is a big plus as we love sushi and this restaurant never disappoints.

Would highly recommend!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kristine R, Front Office Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear iluvny09,

Thank you so much for your feedback! It was very nice of you to pass along such wonderful comments regarding your recent stay. I am so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your upgraded room, and I have passed along your feedback regarding the in-room lighting to our Chief Engineer to follow up on promptly.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

6 Columbus - a Thompson Hotel
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I've stayed in hotels around the world, and this is by far the best experience I've ever had. My flight into NYC arrived early, way before check-in. I arrived and they rushed getting my room ready, and actually gave me an upgrade. A++++

This trip was for business, and I arrived and was greeted warmly, which is really good for NYC. I had great experiences from not only the front desk, but also the bellhop and the bar. The room was extremely clean and cozy. The hotel is in a great location, right at Columbus Circle, and Central Park, and close to everything. It also came in handy the subway stop is right across the street. This was a great trip, and this hotel will be at the top of my list of places to stay when I return to NYC.

Room Tip: I don't think there's a bad room in the hotel. You'll probably get road noise from any...