“wonderful location, but pricey” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Washington Square Hotel

You added Washington Square Hotel to your Saves list
Washington Square Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   103 Waverly Place, New York City, NY 10011 (Greenwich Village)   |
Ranked #204 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Rome, Italy
“wonderful location, but pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

I stayed at Washington Square Hotel for 5 nights at the beginning of January, and I agree with most of the other reviews: the location is its main attraction, and I really recommend it if you want to be in a less touristic but much more interesting area as the Village, that's lively, beautiful and with a wonderful choice of restaurants, bars and music venues at walking distance. Also, the hotel it's close to the subway, so you can reach any part of NY very easily.

But the hotel itself costs a bit too much for what it offers. The decor and atmosphere are nice, and the staff is helpful, but go for the deluxe rooms, as I understand that they are bigger than the one we've been given, that was small even for NY standards, with an extremely tiny cupboard (no way to unpack your luggage), not very comfortable bed and not terribly clean. Also, the breakfast is "continental", but there's no buffet so you don't have any choice and if you are a big eater or want to skip lunch (as I do), you'll end eating breakfast somewhere else.

In general, the feeling is that they don't try very hard because they know that the location is unbeatable and (as far as I know) there is no alternative of the same level in the area. But you don't go to New York to spend your time in your hotel room, so the location is still the most important issue. And walking in Washington Square on a sunny morning or around Bleecker St. at night makes up easily for a smallish room...

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Reno, NV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2007

I stayed at the Washington Square Hotel in early December, 2006. I liked the funky decor and didn't mind the "European"-style (i.e. amazingly tiny) room, and the location can't be beat if you want to explore the Village, MPD and downtown. The price was not bad, either, and the room was very clean.

However, if you stay at this hotel I strongly advise that you request a room not facing MacDougal Street. The rooms all have AC/heating units in the windows, rather than built into the walls, which means that it's impossible to close the windows against the street noise, which can be considerable on that busy street. (Due in part to the fact that Mario Battali's popular Babbo restaurant is located about twenty yards away.) I got basically no sleep on the night I was there, due to the constant banging, clanging, honking and shouting. Also, the bed felt a little bit strange -- weirdly convex -- and wasn't very comfortable. Overall, I wouldn't give this one a very strong recommendation, though I can't say for sure whether my experience would be typical.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2007

My first floor room had an air conditioner stuffed in the only window and was extremely small. The surprise, a family of COCKROACHES scurrying around. The management did give us a second floor room on night two but it was also very small. Smaller than most Manhattan rooms. The only reason that I did not rate this property as "terrible" is that the location is wonderfful. My recommendation is to see the room first, upgrade to a deluxe, and stay off the lower floor. However, I won't return.

• Liked — Location next to Washington Square and in West Village
  • Disliked — Room size, lack of cleanliness, cockroaches
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
Boulder, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2006

Great location if you want to see Greenwhich Village. You can walk to Soho, East & West Village, Union Sq., and easy access by subway to all other parts of city. 4th street train station is right down the street.

Mario Batali's Babbo is across the street and some great little places to eat on Cornelia St. about 2 blocks away. I especially liked the Cuban place, I think it's called Havana. It on Cornelia.

The staff here can be aloof at best and very rude at worst. i stay here a lot as I do work at NYU. Definitely worth splurging for a deluxe room as the regular rooms are VERY SMALL.

If you are a toursit I recommend the West Village walking tour offered by Big Onion. They have a website with a schedule of their walking tours.

The bar/lounge in the basement behind C3 is hidden, but worth finding.

• Liked — location, location, location, plus value for your $$$$
  • Disliked — staff, either incompetent or just poor attitude.
  • Tips/Secrets — book a deluxe room and then get out of it and enjoy the city. Take a walking tour of area.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2006

My boyfriend & I stayed at the WS hotel in early December & could not fault the hotel. The staff were friendly & helpful, the breakfast of fruit, bagels & tea/coffee was great & the internet access was very handy. You could either use the wireless internet in the lobby or use the internet in your room using cables supplied...of course you do need your own laptop. The hotel is located in Greenwich Village which is a funky / retro area to explore.

We stayed in a deluxe double room however I would suggest to get a queen deluxe double room. The double room was smaller then most average European hotel rooms however we still really enjoyed our stay AND we had 4 large suitcases!

I booked this hotel via their website (which I found to be the best deal at the time when I booked in June 06) however I was unsure about staying at the hotel because of previous reviews.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in New York & we will definitely be staying at the WS Hotel next time we are in New York.

• Liked — The breakfast.
  • Disliked — The small double deluxe room but that just added to the charm of the hotel.
  • Tips/Secrets — It's a great area to stay in, explore the area & then explore NY using the close Metro station.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2006

We stayed here for 6 nights in Sept. The check in staff asked us to wait 20mins when we arrived "because you are staying a longer period I'd like you to have a nice room". We were allocated a room overlooking Washington Square park at the front of the hotel. The room was a Deluxe and I would recommend this as the room seemed quite big especially for NYC. It had a smallish bathroom but it was OK. The only thing I will say is I am not a big fan of the pinkish colour of the rooms but I am not too serious about it as a fault! The rate includes a breakfast consisting of juice, fruit, muffins and tea/coffee in the attractive cafe downstairs. The breakfast is served by staff. I thought this was a particular value of staying here as unless you are a big eater, it was enough to keep me going most of the day. And given the price of food/drinks/taxes/tipping in NYC, this was handy for the budget. When we first arrived we were taken care of by a very friendly doorman who I thought may turn into a bit of a pain over the length of the stay. He was almost intrusive but over time I came to accept his friendliness as genuine and he was sensitive enough if one was just sitting in the lobby not to be bothersome. He was very helpful with taxi's etc and obviously loves his job which added to our experience. I think the location of the hotel is great for a downtown stay. You have access to the subway as well as the bus within minutes. There are countless places to eat and drink in any direction and a bonus of being near New York University is a lot of the eats options are cheap.Be mindfulthat unless you have your own laptop, there is not internet access which I found more annoying that I anticipated.There are internet cafes around but the one I used was not that cheap so keep this in mind if its important to you.Overall though we were happy staying here, but as I say, go for the more expensive option re room type.

• Liked — The room was at the front of the hotel
  • Disliked — Narrow corridors
  • Tips/Secrets — The famous NYC Dosa Man has his cart of cheap delicious food set up just across the street
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2006

Very friendly place makes all the difference. Clean, older hotel with enough charm to see it through.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Washington Square Hotel? Share your experiences!