“Good Hotel, Great Price, Exellent Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 17

You added Hotel 17 to your Saves list
Hotel 17
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 East 17th Street, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Ranked #309 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Northampton, Massachusetts
“Good Hotel, Great Price, Exellent Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

Stayed here with my wife and chose Hotel 17 because of the price and the location. Very clean and quaint old school hotel. Shared bath was not a problem, as it was right next door to our room, and never had to wait to use it. Room itself was a triple, and was about the size of an average hotel room. Within a few blocks of some great clubs and some cheap places to eat. Front desk folks were okay. Didn't really need anything from them, and my service was prompt upon check in. Would definitely stay there again.

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Polish first
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

Good value for money as it was the cheapest Hotel we could find in New York. The location is perfect, we walked to all the sights both night and day. Shared bathroom wasn't ideal but never had to queue. Quite liked the old style of the hotel. Overall good budget stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I have been staying here for nearly ten years now,but I have finally lost my patience and decided to join tripadviser and write a review.
I called ahead to let the hotel know I was on a late flight and would be arriving late that night,as requested to do so on confirmation email.
Firstly I know NEVER to expect a kind word or a warm welcome...I'm always prepared for that!! I tell myself this in the cab from airport.

But nothing prepared me for JOHN......he is a nightmare!!!
He needs to be sacked! He has been there for years...and has never been anything but rude,sarcastic and aggressive!
The other guys are ok, quite friendly but don't expect too much.
You only stay at the 17 because of the location.

JOHN was sarcastic,impatient,rude and obnoxious!
I would try to arrive when he is not working if I was you!

I remained calm,even when he told me I would have to take a different room to the one id booked and move the next morning, I said id prefer to have the same room for two nights,as i was tired from the flight and didn't know what time I would wake up and didn't fancy moving rooms,luggage etc! It was after midnight....after a 10 hour trip.
He didn't like that!
So he argued....became more aggressive,even more sarcastic( if possible).Told me I shoulda called ahead...explained I had and then for some unknow reason he took offence!
About one hour later....
I eventually got a room, a twin room....wrong room when i reached the 7th floor with my luggage...u can imagine JOHN'S reaction when I returned to reception....He was not happy!!!!!!!!
He is actually quite scary!You don't know if he is actually jump the counter!
Anyway end of story was JOHN threw the key card at me...i went to a different room I hadn't booked, didn't unpack as I would have to move rooms in the morning and went to sleep frustrated.
Next morning......when I went down to ask what time I needed to move by ,the nicer guy (longish blond hair) at reception told me no problem,stay where u are,its cool, no need to move.....
So after all of the previous nights drama with the LOVELY JOHN, it's cool just stay put,no probs....
I tried to avoid JOHN and his evil stay for the rest of my trip.

JOHN JOHN JOHN.....SACK HIM!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights with a friend of mine. After much research through various websites, tripadvisor and other review sites, I choose this hotel. Hotel 17 is close to many important places and close to Times Squre, Empire state building, China Town etc. There are many nice restaurants nearby this hotel.

This hotel is good for a very short stay. Both the nights the stay was short. For first night stay I checked into hotel at 6.30PM and checked our morning 5AM. Similary 3 days later I checked into this hotel at 7.30PM and checked out morning at 4.30AM.
First night we got a room, wihch was clean and well maintained but very small. Not good enough for two people. Bathroom was very clean with clean towels, bath tub etc. The second time we checked in we got a room in 7th floor which was good for 2 people. This room was a little better and bigger than the earlier one on 1st floor.

Final words, dont expect any great service from this hotel. This is nice enough for people who would like to roam around NYC attractions and who dont linke to spend time in the hotel. There is no breakfast available and you need to pay cash in advance to use phone from your room. The room charges were on higher side for us, but no compalints as it was close enough to many local attractions. If no good deals available, I would surely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Brno, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

I stayed at Hotel 17 last year during a short trip to visit a few jazz clubs in the Village.

The reservation process was a little odd (to me) because they didn't take a credit card, nor did they send me an e-mail confirmation -- and I am neurotic enough to have worried a bit that something might go wrong and the reservation might get lost. But there was no problem.

My room, though small, was actually kind of charming -- I was really happy with it. The desk staff was friendly and the location was perfect for me. I never had to wait for a bathroom, and the bathrooms were clean. (My only minor complaint was that they did not have soap dispensers for when you wash your hands -- you had to remember to bring the little bar from your room. A little annoying at first, but after you figure it out, it's fine).

All in all, it was a great choice, and I would do it again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

stayed there in february/march 2010, double room with shared bathroom. bathroom was always clean and available, felt like a little private bath. we had a room facing the backyard, so it was always quiet, but the area is pretty quiet in general.
the hotel had a great atmosphre with it's retro-style. staff is very friendly and helpful.
only a few minutes walk away from union square, so it's easy to get to any other place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I went there in April 2007 with my boyfriend and we had a great time .
This hotel is well situated and you can walk everywhere. There is an amazing Mexican restaurant round the corner which is simply delicious and a good Traditional Burger restaurant next to it.
The room are basic but clean and good for the price you have to share the bathroom but there were always clean and only 4 rooms to one bathroom.
Only down, there wasn' t any not breakfast facilities.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel 17? Share your experiences!