“Exactly as advertised; in a fantastic area of NYC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 17

You added Hotel 17 to your Saves list
Hotel 17
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 East 17th Street, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Ranked #306 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Pitman, New Jersey
“Exactly as advertised; in a fantastic area of NYC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I'll admit that I don't particularly like the "bathroom down the hall" hotels, but I like a bargain, so I stayed here for two nights because the price was good. This hotel was clean and quiet, and the front desk staff was always pleasant and attentive. No issues with the shared bath, in fact, only once did I even see another person on the floor where I was -- maybe timing was just lucky, but I never had to wait for one of the two bathrooms on the floor. The room was tiny, but that meant that the a.c. quickly cooled it down and who hangs out in their room anyway? My only complaint was the a.c. unit in my room was really noisy. Since it was very hot and humid during my stay in the city, I was just happy to have it nice and cool. The area around the hotel is nice -- just a couple blocks from Union Square and all the activity and subway connections of that area. Great location for easy access to almost any part of the city.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Polish first
Eagan, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the Hotel 17 for two nights this week and were very impressed. It's a unique hotel with a lot of character yet current amenities. The rooms were old-school cool with a bowl sink and a safe. The A/C worked great, the shared bathroom was always available and always clean. The staff was professional and friendly, and offered a large safe room to store luggage. The location was 5 minutes from the subway and the HopOnHopOff tour bus stop. On the same block were a couple of restaurants to enjoy a glass of wine on their patios.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Rockledge, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised about everything at the hotel. I had done my research, so I knew that the bathroom was in the hall. I did have some trepidation about that, having never been in a hotel before that I shared a bathroom, as well as the expected size of the room. But since I was traveling solo this trip, I felt I would take a chance based on the location, mostly positive reviews, and the price.
The front desk was nice and accommodating. I had 2 requests. I asked to be on the second floor, so that I could walk up and not take the elevator. I also asked to be in a nonsmoking room. The man said that the 1,2, and 3rd floors were smoking, but he assured me that the cleaning people do such an amazing job that I would not know. He gave me the second floor room with no problem and he was completely right. The room smelled fine. I never knew it was a smoking room.
I had the single room and it was fine. It was small but there was plenty of legroom to walk around. I would say it was the size of an average child's room. There was a sink, towels, travel size toiletries as in other hotels. They even had a hair dryer. There was a safe, a.c., and a small tv- all compact but very clean and nice.
The bathroom was literally right outside of my room, so it was again, no problem at all. I never had to wait. It was also very clean.
The wifi worked perfectly, as you could see, since I am actually writing this review from my hotel room right now.
So, this is what I could kind of compare the experience and hotel to..... Like,if you were staying at someone's house, and you were staying in their small but nice guest room with the bathroom in the hall. It certainly isn't fancy, but if traveling alone again, I would stay here.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Cannock, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights before heading down to florida. Room was clean and staff were friendly and helpful,shared w/c was really clean and looked after. Ideal location, would definitely stay again :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We booked for 7 nights and got room in 8th Floor with view on top of Empire State Building. Smooth check-in. Room is clean, also shared bathroom, compliment to housekeeping! Bed comfy, wifi works perfectly, air con as well, even its bit noisy. Key card stopped working for few times, but not big deal. Location is excellent, shops, cafes, restaurants & bars nearby. I would definately recommend!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Ann Arbor
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

The only thing that I could accept is the location. The room is surprisingly small. There is no private restroom. Sometimes there is no hot water in the restroom, which makes it really hard to take a bath. Moreover, the man at the front desk is cold. And the AC is making so much noise so that I couldn't fall asleep. It is a bad place and I feel regret to live in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Hotel 17? Share your experiences!