“Third Visit This Year!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 17

Save Saved
You added Hotel 17 to your Saves list
Hotel 17
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 East 17th Street, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Ranked #301 of 456 Hotels in New York City
Northampton, Massachusetts
“Third Visit This Year!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Booked a room with my wife to see a concert at Webster Hall. The concert hall is 5 blocks away. We were stuck in heavy rain on the way down, and they let us check in a little early (THANK YOU!) One of the reasons I stayed at Hotel 17 yet again was because it is near everything and is easy to get to. We did the express subway from Grand Central to Union Station. Some great bars and clubs Ninth Ward, Kingston Hall are both very chill places we like to visit at night.

We had a nice sized room. Very similar to the one we had in September. This time we stayed on the second floor and not all the way up on 8. There is only one elevator, and it's an old one. Kind of romantic the first couple of times. I prefer staying on the lower floors, just in case the lift is in use and I don't want to wait. Did not have to wait for the shower or bathroom, and the facilities were clean as usual.

The staff has been pretty cool with us each time we visit. Others may not have had a good experience, but I have never had a reason to complain to them.

The steam heat was a little much, but we could crack the window open a little. The TVstand/desk/closet combination is a clever way to make the most of space. We had two windows with a view of the street, and a sink in our room to wash up a little. I took my shower late in the morning before checkout, and most of the hot water was gone by then. It was a fast shower. Serves me right. No problem. The room was clean, and I will most certainly return yet again.

I don't expect much from the hotel, other than a good price and a clean room, but I have come to really appreciate the old world charm that the rooms have. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

Room Tip: Ask for something facing the street. Book ahead of time, and try to use their website.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed here for 2 night in mid December. Now, taking into consideration that this is somewhat of a high season for Manhattan, the price was unmatched by any other hotel in Manhattan or even in the closer areas of the other boroughs. Conveniently located close to subway and Union square, you can very easily do a lot of the shopping you want and sight seeing you want, which is the most important part of your visit here. The hotel is old, but quite well maintained. The bathrooms are shared for every single floor, which is somewhat inconvenient at times, but I cannot complain about that given the price of other hotels. You can pay more and get your own bathroom as well. Room is overall small, but you're really not in Manhattan to stay in your room. Would definitely come back here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This hotel is located on the lower east side of NYC. You do have to share a bathroom in the hall but there was never any wait but each rooms does have a sink, mirror and hair dryer. The rooms also provide a safe in which to put your valuables. The room was very clean also. There is no restuarant attached but there is a wonderful cafe just a block away. The nearest subway is 4 blocks away and this hotel is fairly close to Union Square.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

My 3 days in Hotel 17 were very nice.

The room was small, but comfortable with a wonderful bed. I haven't slept this good in ages. There is a tiny TV, a safe and washbasin. My room did not have an own bathroom, but you shared one with the other people on your floor. This was unproblematic as well - the bathroom was nice and clean with a large shower.

The hotel is located close to Union Square. During the holidays, Union Square features its beautiful holiday market. Moreover, there is a subway station from which you can get to pretty much everywhere in Manhattan within 20-30 minutes.

Overall, I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who looks for a comfortable place to stay in New York for as little money as possible. This truly is a bargain.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Not bad for being one of the cheapest hotel options in Manhattan. The rooms are very small, but who goes to Manhattan to hang out in their hotel room? Each room has a sink, flat screen TV, and a relatively comfortable bed. The bath rooms are down the hall, and that's a bit of a pain. But I've stayed here twice and wasn't too bothered by the inconvenience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
central Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I found this great hotel on a discount website. I was very pleased by its location, several blocks from Union Square, a major connecting point for key subway lines in Manhattan and the site for its well-known farmers' market, which I visited on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Hotel 17 is close to lots of food options by the Square, and not far from some great movie theaters (Angelika and Sunshine) but situated in a quieter area that takes the traveler away from the busyness of the city. The desk attendant was professional and efficient: I dropped my bag off well before check-in. The hotel is older and has a lot of charm, reminding me of the scale of provincial hotels in France (take note: a small elevator); many international travelers were checking in during my one night stay. I took the cheapest option, with shared bath (conveniently located right across the hall) and never had any problem accessing the bathroom. The double was small, but fully equipped, with television, individual safe, hairdryer, toiletries and a small closet to hang a few items. Multilingual staff was welcoming and professional. When I need to be downtown on my next trip to New York, I shall return.

Room Tip: I requested, and received, a room at the top of the hotel. It was quiet, worked out fine.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

This was my second visit to NYC and I have stayed at Hotel 17 both times. I'd certainly stay there again. It is one of the lowest cost hotels in Manhattan which is still not cheap.
The best thing about it is the location. I really like this neighbourhood, it's a few minutes walk from Union Square and there is enough going on but without being noisy. It feels like the sort of place where real people live - not just tourists like in midtown.
The hotel is cheap for a reason - the rooms are small and the bathroom is shared with others on the floor. But there is a sink in the room which is handy. They give you towels and toiletries too. Other good things are the 24 hour reception and there is a lift.
It was clean. It was also suprisingly quiet despite my window looking over the street and having so many rooms. Free wifi. No fridge in the room and no kitchen facilities.
Overall I think it is good value for Manhattan.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel 17? Share your experiences!