“Old World Charm in a charming NYC Neighborhood” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 17

You added Hotel 17 to your Saves list
Hotel 17
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 East 17th Street, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Ranked #298 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Pittsburgh, PA
“Old World Charm in a charming NYC Neighborhood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I loved loved loved this hotel! It is situated in the middle of a neighborhood street (near Grammercy Park) with charming brownstones all around. Made me feel like I was a true New Yorker living here. The hotel is old with all the great woodwork and an elevator from times past.
This just added to the charm. The hotel room was spotless and the price was very reasonable.
If you book on line directly with the hotel they give you a 5% discount. Cancellation is free up to 24 hours before arrival and they don't charge your credit card until you arrive at the hotel. The rooms do not have a bathroom and you have to walk out in the hall to use one of two bathrooms
on that floor. I was a little leery about this as I have never booked a room without a bathroom,
but I have to say I did not find this a problem. There is a sink, mirror, outlets, etc. in your room.
The bathrooms in the hall have a toilet and a shower. There was always a bathroom available when I needed one. Walk to the end of the street, make a left and there is a grocery store on the block for any needs you may have- food or alcohol! The price was really reasonable - $150 per night plus taxes, etc. I loved the location as it is a few streets above the East Village and very close to lower Manhattan. We spend the bulk of our time here, with Greenwich Village, Soho and Little Italy a short distance away. I was very pleased with the hotel and will definitely return on my next trip to NYC.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Clovis, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I had checked Trip Advisor for recommendations for as inexpensive hotel as I could get in New York City for two nights (Oct 7 & 8, 2013), so I was somewhat prepared for how small this property could be. I was very pleased with the location and the general ambiance, but the room was incredibly small. That fact did not really bother me, as it was just a place to sleep and secure luggage.

Room 717 was approximately 10 feet wide by 16 feet deep. This is not an exaggeration, but also just a "One and a half of me with arms wide by two of me with arms wide" measurement. A double bed with a nightstand, sink and very interesting closet/entertainment unit. At 5 feet 6 inches it was enough room for me.

I did not have the problem of excessive noise. In fact, I rarely heard or saw anyone at all. The maintenance man was shampooing the hallway carpets when I arrived, and I found all the areas I explored within the hotel were very clean.

The elevator is incredibly small and dark paneled. I did see one woman who refused to use it, much to her husband's consternation.

If I find myself in need of a hotel in New York City again, I will definitely stay at the Hotel 17 again.

Room Tip: I would assume that the rooms with two twin beds would probably offer more space.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
kobe japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed there for two nights. It was double room but I couldn't even walk around the bed and couldn't open my suitcase. Ii is a budget hotel and I know how expensive hotels in NYC are. The location is great and just a few blocks from a subway station, and 10-15 minutes to Village. However, I could hear EVERYTHING in the next door. The bathroom was relatively clean but in a rush time of the morning, you find the floor was paddled and hairs were everywhere since they couldn't keep up with cleaning.
I had to mention the worst experience as a paid guest ever at this hotel. In the morning of my check-out, I asked a guy in a robe (who claimed himself as a manager when I asked to talk to a manager... I kind of doubt it) for a blank receipt. He said he cannot provide it and I have to print out from the website. I asked him politely if he could provide any kind of proof that I stayed at the hotel for the reimbursement. He started yelling at me with extreme, "CAN YOU UNDERSTAND YOU HAVE TO PRINT OUT FROM THE WEB SITE!!!!" with the extreme rage, banging the counter with his fist. It was 6 o'clock in the morning and no one else was around. I thought he would come out and hit me with that much unreasonable anger for my request. I asked him to talk to a manger, and he said he was the manager. I am not sure if that is true, but I never had that much insulting episode at any other hotel in any other places of the world although I have been traveling all over the world.
Yeah, it is a budget hotel in a great location, but if you want to be treated as a paid guest with minimum respect, you should stay at any other hotel, I am sure you can find better treatment at another cheaper hotel even in NYC. .

Room Tip: I don't know if any human being can fit in a single room... because I barely fit myself in a dou...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Elsternwick, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

poor wifi reception in any room which they tried to blame on too many people using the network but it got better as soon as I went into the hallway, uncomfortable, lumpy bed, only 1 front desk staff member could do any official duties, the younger kid they had working had no clue and couldn't process refunds for time not stayed etc. That being said even printing an email correctly was difficult for the more senior staff. I checked out early, would actively discourage anyone from staying here

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Jaipur, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

this hotel is really awesome! at first I was scared cause of the shared bathrooms but they were always clean and free (two bathrooms on every floor). the rooms are very nice, the beds are comfortable and theres also a small basin in the room. the rooms are quit small, but the rents are high in NYC therefore its fine and its enough space when you don't unpack your stuff. the location is great - in the heart of manhatten. not far away from the Underground and also walking distance to the empire state building (10 minutes).
I would defintly recommend this place, it's worth the money, very friendly staff, great area, lovely rooms!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Cape Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Downsides first: We often had splutter instead of water coming from the tap, and my evening shower was often cold. Plus, we shared a single bathroom containing toilet and shower with 4 other rooms, which meant we often encountered a locked door and had to structure our day strategically to maximise bathroom availability...
Upside: We must have had the penthouse suite of the hotel, it (#808) was lovely! My husband has stayed there before and prepared me for very small rooms, but we booked a triple room for two as there was nothing else available, and that was perfect! Bay window with lovely views, lots of space and a desk to work at. Loads of towels changed daily. Wifi bit complicated but works. Staff not perfectly trained, smiley service champs but normal working people. Also nice for a change.
Notes: Bring flipflops or sandals for the old carpeting and shared bathroom. The old window aircon unit is quite loud, maybe bring earplugs. We preferred to turn it off and sleep with the window open, which is a nice option in October but maybe not in summer/winter.
Location: Fabulous. Union Square just a block down, with subways and a lovely fresh produce market regularly incl. breads and cakes for a lovely breakfast on the go. For NYC first timers or tourists going places, this is a great place to be based at if you don't want to spend $350 upwards for a room.

Room Tip: 8th floor - gorgeous views!! But not many loos/bathrooms to go round.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend back in March, but I forgot to leave my review. If you want to stay in a very nice part of NYC with a price that doesn't break the bank, here is your place.

I leave 4 stars only (and not 5) because the bed was a bit too rigid for my taste, and the radiator was pumping out so much heat that we had to run the A/C in March. The bathroom/shower was shared, but I never came across another person occupying it. It was nice that there at least was a sink in the bedroom to wash up a bit.

The decor in this place was really beautiful, as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple