“made me regret the booking immediately” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 17

You added Hotel 17 to your Saves list
Hotel 17
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 East 17th Street, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Ranked #306 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Elsternwick, Victoria, Australia
“made me regret the booking immediately”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

poor wifi reception in any room which they tried to blame on too many people using the network but it got better as soon as I went into the hallway, uncomfortable, lumpy bed, only 1 front desk staff member could do any official duties, the younger kid they had working had no clue and couldn't process refunds for time not stayed etc. That being said even printing an email correctly was difficult for the more senior staff. I checked out early, would actively discourage anyone from staying here

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Polish first
Jaipur, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

this hotel is really awesome! at first I was scared cause of the shared bathrooms but they were always clean and free (two bathrooms on every floor). the rooms are very nice, the beds are comfortable and theres also a small basin in the room. the rooms are quit small, but the rents are high in NYC therefore its fine and its enough space when you don't unpack your stuff. the location is great - in the heart of manhatten. not far away from the Underground and also walking distance to the empire state building (10 minutes).
I would defintly recommend this place, it's worth the money, very friendly staff, great area, lovely rooms!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Cape Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Downsides first: We often had splutter instead of water coming from the tap, and my evening shower was often cold. Plus, we shared a single bathroom containing toilet and shower with 4 other rooms, which meant we often encountered a locked door and had to structure our day strategically to maximise bathroom availability...
Upside: We must have had the penthouse suite of the hotel, it (#808) was lovely! My husband has stayed there before and prepared me for very small rooms, but we booked a triple room for two as there was nothing else available, and that was perfect! Bay window with lovely views, lots of space and a desk to work at. Loads of towels changed daily. Wifi bit complicated but works. Staff not perfectly trained, smiley service champs but normal working people. Also nice for a change.
Notes: Bring flipflops or sandals for the old carpeting and shared bathroom. The old window aircon unit is quite loud, maybe bring earplugs. We preferred to turn it off and sleep with the window open, which is a nice option in October but maybe not in summer/winter.
Location: Fabulous. Union Square just a block down, with subways and a lovely fresh produce market regularly incl. breads and cakes for a lovely breakfast on the go. For NYC first timers or tourists going places, this is a great place to be based at if you don't want to spend $350 upwards for a room.

Room Tip: 8th floor - gorgeous views!! But not many loos/bathrooms to go round.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend back in March, but I forgot to leave my review. If you want to stay in a very nice part of NYC with a price that doesn't break the bank, here is your place.

I leave 4 stars only (and not 5) because the bed was a bit too rigid for my taste, and the radiator was pumping out so much heat that we had to run the A/C in March. The bathroom/shower was shared, but I never came across another person occupying it. It was nice that there at least was a sink in the bedroom to wash up a bit.

The decor in this place was really beautiful, as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My sister and I stayed here over the weekend from Oct. 11-13th. I wasn't to weary when I booked because of all the good reviews and I wasn't at all surprised when I got there. This place is fantastic for simple travelers such as myself. All I need is decently nice people and Cleanliness, Hotel 17 had both. We got to New York around 11 and couldn't check in until 3 so they held our bags while we went to do what we had planned for the day. The room was a double and pretty small but I didn't mind at all.The sink in the room was a big help. We were in 510 and could see a sliver of the Empire State Building. Now to the shared bathroom I'm not familiar with this and was the tiniest bit nervous about it but I never had a problem. The bathroom was extremely clean and I never had to wait to take a shower or use it. The staff was great too, front desk helpful and housekeepers were super friendly. Don't expect anything fancy its just a really clean, comfortable no frills place. We had a wicked good weekend and I can see this place becoming my go to hotel for NYC trips.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Booked this for work travel. Room 521 was small but very clean, the bathrooms are about as clean as at your local gym. Service was good. I called down because I was cold and because the building's radiator heat doesn't cut on until it's a certain temperature outside, they quickly brought up extra blankets and a space heater. Very, very good location. The bed is extremely firm.

Room Tip: If the bathrooms on your wing or floor are full, just go to another floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Lincoln, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights in September for just over £100 per night (taxes inc).

We had a very small room with a shared bathroom across the landing.

We weren't really bothered about the size of the room as we spent most of our time out and about in New York and it was really just a place to sleep.

The hotel is a good location if you want to walk midtown and downtown as it is about equidistant between them.

You can easily walk up to Central Park or down to Battery Park from here.

If you're young / single / couple that doesnt mind where you lay your head at the end of the day, and you just want somewhere central and cheap, this is great.

If you are a family or want some space and privacy, this is probably not for you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel 17? Share your experiences!