“Good value for the money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 17

Save Saved
You added Hotel 17 to your Saves list
Hotel 17
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 East 17th Street, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Ranked #295 of 451 hotels in New York City
Houston, Texas, United States
“Good value for the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed here over Thanksgiving holidays and had a very good room rate. The hotel is located on the lower east side which is close to Union Square. It is also closer to Brooklyn than other parts of NYC and that is what I wanted to stay here as my son lives in Brooklyn and I only had to take one subway from there to get to Brooklyn.
The room was clean and there was a sink with a mirror in the room so I could get washed up and get my make up on and pretty much get ready for the day. I did have to share a bathroom but I never had to wait to use it. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. The staff was very nice also. I would stay there again.
When I go to NY, I do not spend much time in my room, so why spend a lot of money for a room?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

1,258 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Nothing can beat the location of this low-budget hotel. On East 17. Street in the heart of Manhattan, just a few steps from nice and political correct Union Square with its daily market of organic foods.
Rooms are rtther small and go without private bathroom, the aircondition is a little noisy, and you must go to the first floor if you need cold ice.But what can you expect for 135$ per night (with taxes) in this town?
On top of that there are some very good restaurants very close by. Check out Casa Mono at 52 Irving Place, and ABC Kitchen at 35 E. 18th Street!

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The convenient location has been highlighted by numerous other reviewers. But I had the impression the hotel gets a little overhyped. My double bed, which I used as a single, would have hardly fitted two adults. The bathrooms on the hallway are okay, though not as immaculately clean as some people state. What really annoyed me was the bad smell of my room. I had requested a non-smoking room and it had such an intense odor that I dreaded coming back. The carpet was stained, the walls too, and the window unit air conditioner made such a noise that I had to shut it off at night. So if you can afford more, I suggest going elsewhere.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The hotel was really cool, I mean located in a central place, near subway stations and very cheap for this location. Inside it was beautifully arranged and the staff was very polite and helpful. Loved it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Pai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

A lovely hotel in a great location. Away from the major tourist spots and great restaurants nearby - a variety of shops and restaurants to meet anyone's needs. Near to the subway and a safe and friendly neighbourhood. The hotel is in a quiet side street and clean, quiet and tidy. We had air conditioning (a little noisy but very powerful!) a safe, cable tv and a range of toiletries and towels.

The bathroom was shared - but there were no issues with sharing and I never saw anyone using the bathroom other than us. My suitcase broke and a helpful handyman came and repaired it for me.

Reception was quick and efficient to respond to requests, without question - but more efficient than friendly! As I understand it, this is typical of New York and not a complaint as they responded quickly to my requests and check in/ check out was quick and we had no problems.

Strongly recommend the hotel - location was a big winner.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Aviles, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel has everything you look for in a hotel in Manhattan. It is really well located (near Grammercy Park and just within a 5-minute walk from the nearest subway station -14th Street and Union Square). Plus, it is affordable and clean and the staff is really helpful. The only inconvenient is that the AC makes some noise. However, if I travel to NY again I will undoubtedly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place is in a really cool location just 2 blocks from union square and a number of cool restaurants and bars close by. The smell of cigarette smoke in our room on the first floor was overwhelming. We had to holdnour breath when walking down the corridor. Room was ok for the price and service was pretty good. We managed to get a fold away bed into our room to get 3 beds in for an extra $25 per night.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Hotel 17? Share your experiences!