“Great hotel in Manhattan” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 17

You added Hotel 17 to your Saves list
Hotel 17
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 East 17th Street, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Ranked #306 of 459 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel in Manhattan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We just got back from our third stay at Hotel 17. We always stay here when in NYC because of the very affordable price, great location and cool vibe of the place.
It has a very "old New York" vibe, and the hotel staff is friendly.
The hotel has a cool history, Woody Allen filmed Manhattan Murder Mystery there, and Madonna has shot photos too.
Rooms are clean, beds comfy.
Shared bathrooms, but that is not a problem. They are always clean, and never occupied.
Very close to downtown and Union Square.
All in all, great place to sleep - keep in mind that no one comes to New York City to sleep and stay in their hotel room the whole time!

We will stay here also in the future for sure!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Polish first
Amman, Irbid, Jordan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Recommended for: travelers looking for just a place to spend the night at
Not recommended for: people who are looking for a nice and extra clean place to hang out at

I was in NYC for a quick visit, was looking for a place to host me just during the night as I would be busy most of the day.

I found this place online and I booked my room, I have to say, I was a bit worried, specially about the shared bathroom but here's what I experienced.

The room is fair, it can accommodate 1-2 people
View is nice
Location is excellent and close to almost everything you might need, specially that Union Square is a walking distance from it, from which you can take a subway to almost anything you need
Nice staff
ACs are good
Cleanness is fair
The shared bathroom was fairly clean most of the time, but you can't take my word or anyone's word for that matter, because it depends entirely on the people living in the floor, I happened to be around people who appreciate clean bathrooms (two bathrooms for each floor)
Prices are fair for a place in Manhattan

One of my favorite parts was the elevator, I called him Stoned Joe, you will know what I mean if you try it a couple of times :)

Will I go there again? Absolutely

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Austin, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

PROS:
(1) Hard to find this level of accommodations at this price elsewhere in Manhattan. (We paid $139/night.)
(2) Good location, close to downtown and Union Square Park.

CONS:
(1) Bathrooms are shared. They were generally clean but sometimes not. Once we told the front desk that our bathroom wasn't clean and they sent a cleaning person, but that person didn't clean the pee off the toilet seat.
(2) The beds were very uncomfortable. I'm not that picky, either; I've never felt that about a hotel's beds before. The beds were also very small.
(3) The WiFe was often so slow as to be completely useless.
(4) Our key cards stopped working almost every day, and we had to get them reprogrammed. At first I thought the battery was dead because we didn't get the red error light, we got no light at all. The front desk sent a service guy and I asked about the battery and he insisted that there was no battery, and so the problem couldn't be a dead battery. I asked how he know and he replied, "Because I know!" I later asked the front desk if the locks had batteries and they confirmed that they did.
(5) The thermostat on our AC was broken, registering about 10° cooler than the actual temperature. It was hard to get a good temp in the room, it was usually too hot or too cold. The unit was also noisy, waking us up every time it kicked in at night.
(6) Once someone was smoking on our non-smoking floor, very noticeable from inside our room. Not the hotel's fault, but made for an unpleasant stay.
(7) Rooms hold a max of three people (one 2-person bed and one single-person bed), so you can't sleep four in a room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Oldham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

The hotel was ok from the outside and in a decent location but what awaited us inside. Dark dismal and gloomy very old and shabby. the room was clean but agin very old and gloomy a bit spooky. bathrooms were clean but i think that may have been due to the fact that there didnt seem to be anyone else in there. The first night we came back from a long day sightseeing very tired and looking forward to shower and bed and we were greeted in the lobby by a smelly tramp who was possibly staying there????? checked in and paid for two nights couldnt bare to do the second so checked out. I would like to say that this hotel would be ok if you were travelling and wanted cheap but it wasnt that either. Advice asked re sightseeing on morning one at reception but no help given. Sorrry hotel 17 but a big thumbs down.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Co-operative Travel

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I managed to get super cheap flights to NYC for December '12 and were hoping to find a decent hotel that wouldn't cost the earth - a big ask for Manhattan but we found it!

Hotel 17 is situated near Union Square on E17th and 3rd. It's a quiet residential street, and from the outside the hotel looks very quaint and small. The lobby area is tiny, however upon arrival at approx 4pm we were greeted cheerfully and checked in within minutes. There is only one tiny lift in the building (it's clearly a very old building, but loads of character), but we could fit our large suitcase and the pair of us in, plus we were only two floors up. We stayed in a double room, which although small was more than enough for the two of us. The rooms are all dark woods and fancy wallpaper, but they are VERY clean. The bed was a little small, but we had a large wardrobe with TV and coffee maker, and our own sink and drawers. The hotel room was equipped with towels and a hairdryer. The room we had was a little dark, but considering we were there to sleep we didn't much mind - don't expect much of a view from your room - ours was a view of an alley. The hotel is quiet, and we didn't hear much of anybody else nor anything from outside - just what you want after a long day hitting the pavements of NYC.

In Hotel 17 you do need to share a bathroom, however there's at least two on each floor and not once did we have to wait longer than 2 minutes to use it. We used the bathroom at 7/8/9am and later in the evening, and they were always spotlessly clean. The showers always had hot water and good water pressure.

The hotel is in a great location, a few minutes walk from Union Sq with all its transport links via the Subway, but it's also within walking distance of many tourist attractions. We walked from the hotel to the Empire State building and walked back late on a number of occasions. The area feels safe, and there are lots of great bars nearby as it's close to NYU. There's a couple of small diners and restaurants nearby too that are much cheaper than anything you'll find nearer Time's Square. It may seem far away from the main tourist attractions, but we didn't have a problem getting anywhere we needed, nothing seemed to take long to get to at all, mostly due to all the subway lines nearby.

The service here is friendly, we were always greeted on our return to the hotel and they were very helpful in helping us sort out our return to JFK for our flight home. Considering this hotel often pops up at a significantly cheaper rate than many others in Manhattan, I'd highly recommend it. The location is great, and it will leave you with much more spending money for doing all you want in NYC.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and found the hotel to be fairly convenient. The shared bathroom was kept clean but one negative was that someone else was sick so the smell of vomit welcomed us when we used the bathroom first thing in the morning. The rooms were clean but the beds were a little soft and ours made a loud squeak every time one of us moved. The service at the front desk left alot to be desired as they did not smile or welcome us in any way.
For the price it wasn't bad.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Hotel 17 is a quaint, older style hotel with shared bathrooms. I booked a triple room on the 6th floor as I knew the rooms were small. It was great for me, travelling alone. The size would be ok for two people, but a squeeze for three. It had a wash basin, TV and plenty of drawers. The room was quiet and had a pleasant view of other houses on the street. The shared bathroom was not a problem, I felt like I was the only one using it. There seem to be two bathrooms in each corridor. The staff were friendly and helpful. The only downside was not having coffee/tea facilities in the room or anywhere in the hotel. However, as an affordable hotel, close to subways, Times Square, Greenwich Village and the Flatiron district, it is a great find and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: BTW there is no pool, of course. To choose a room with a good outlook and quiet, try the West side.