(1) Hard to find this level of accommodations at this price elsewhere in Manhattan. (We paid $139/night.)
(2) Good location, close to downtown and Union Square Park.
(1) Bathrooms are shared. They were generally clean but sometimes not. Once we told the front desk that our bathroom wasn't clean and they sent a cleaning person, but that person didn't clean the pee off the toilet seat.
(2) The beds were very uncomfortable. I'm not that picky, either; I've never felt that about a hotel's beds before. The beds were also very small.
(3) The WiFe was often so slow as to be completely useless.
(4) Our key cards stopped working almost every day, and we had to get them reprogrammed. At first I thought the battery was dead because we didn't get the red error light, we got no light at all. The front desk sent a service guy and I asked about the battery and he insisted that there was no battery, and so the problem couldn't be a dead battery. I asked how he know and he replied, "Because I know!" I later asked the front desk if the locks had batteries and they confirmed that they did.
(5) The thermostat on our AC was broken, registering about 10° cooler than the actual temperature. It was hard to get a good temp in the room, it was usually too hot or too cold. The unit was also noisy, waking us up every time it kicked in at night.
(6) Once someone was smoking on our non-smoking floor, very noticeable from inside our room. Not the hotel's fault, but made for an unpleasant stay.
(7) Rooms hold a max of three people (one 2-person bed and one single-person bed), so you can't sleep four in a room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With its old-world charm marked by European style, Hotel 17 is designed to attract international tourists from near and far to visit and explore our Great City of New York. Our hotel in lower Midtown Manhattan places you in the center of convenience and visiting New York City attractions are accessible by walking or by public transportation. As Manhattan's best neighborhood city hotel, Hotel 17 is also the best reviewed hotel. New York Magazine and the New York Times articles defined the beauty and history of our New York City landmark building. Hotel 17 fame also appeared in the 1993 Woody Allen film 'Manhattan Murder Mystery' and was the site for photo shoots in Madonna's Sex book. Fashion magazine, such as GQ, Elle, and Vogue, favored our hotel setting for fashion shoots. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Low Cost Holidays, Odigeo, Otel and Budget Places so you can book your Hotel 17 reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 17 Hotel New York City
- Hotel 17 New York
- 17 New York City