“A great hotel for those on a budget.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 17

Save Saved
You added Hotel 17 to your Saves list
Hotel 17
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 East 17th Street, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Ranked #298 of 452 hotels in New York City
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A great hotel for those on a budget.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I managed to get super cheap flights to NYC for December '12 and were hoping to find a decent hotel that wouldn't cost the earth - a big ask for Manhattan but we found it!

Hotel 17 is situated near Union Square on E17th and 3rd. It's a quiet residential street, and from the outside the hotel looks very quaint and small. The lobby area is tiny, however upon arrival at approx 4pm we were greeted cheerfully and checked in within minutes. There is only one tiny lift in the building (it's clearly a very old building, but loads of character), but we could fit our large suitcase and the pair of us in, plus we were only two floors up. We stayed in a double room, which although small was more than enough for the two of us. The rooms are all dark woods and fancy wallpaper, but they are VERY clean. The bed was a little small, but we had a large wardrobe with TV and coffee maker, and our own sink and drawers. The hotel room was equipped with towels and a hairdryer. The room we had was a little dark, but considering we were there to sleep we didn't much mind - don't expect much of a view from your room - ours was a view of an alley. The hotel is quiet, and we didn't hear much of anybody else nor anything from outside - just what you want after a long day hitting the pavements of NYC.

In Hotel 17 you do need to share a bathroom, however there's at least two on each floor and not once did we have to wait longer than 2 minutes to use it. We used the bathroom at 7/8/9am and later in the evening, and they were always spotlessly clean. The showers always had hot water and good water pressure.

The hotel is in a great location, a few minutes walk from Union Sq with all its transport links via the Subway, but it's also within walking distance of many tourist attractions. We walked from the hotel to the Empire State building and walked back late on a number of occasions. The area feels safe, and there are lots of great bars nearby as it's close to NYU. There's a couple of small diners and restaurants nearby too that are much cheaper than anything you'll find nearer Time's Square. It may seem far away from the main tourist attractions, but we didn't have a problem getting anywhere we needed, nothing seemed to take long to get to at all, mostly due to all the subway lines nearby.

The service here is friendly, we were always greeted on our return to the hotel and they were very helpful in helping us sort out our return to JFK for our flight home. Considering this hotel often pops up at a significantly cheaper rate than many others in Manhattan, I'd highly recommend it. The location is great, and it will leave you with much more spending money for doing all you want in NYC.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

946 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and found the hotel to be fairly convenient. The shared bathroom was kept clean but one negative was that someone else was sick so the smell of vomit welcomed us when we used the bathroom first thing in the morning. The rooms were clean but the beds were a little soft and ours made a loud squeak every time one of us moved. The service at the front desk left alot to be desired as they did not smile or welcome us in any way.
For the price it wasn't bad.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Hotel 17 is a quaint, older style hotel with shared bathrooms. I booked a triple room on the 6th floor as I knew the rooms were small. It was great for me, travelling alone. The size would be ok for two people, but a squeeze for three. It had a wash basin, TV and plenty of drawers. The room was quiet and had a pleasant view of other houses on the street. The shared bathroom was not a problem, I felt like I was the only one using it. There seem to be two bathrooms in each corridor. The staff were friendly and helpful. The only downside was not having coffee/tea facilities in the room or anywhere in the hotel. However, as an affordable hotel, close to subways, Times Square, Greenwich Village and the Flatiron district, it is a great find and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: BTW there is no pool, of course. To choose a room with a good outlook and quiet, try the West side.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Chicago Ridge, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Very impressed with the overall ambiance of the place although front desk staff was a bit lazy. Loved the overall design and despite being small our room in size the overall comfy feel more than made up for the mentioned shortcomings.

Room Tip: 518 room bathrpom right across from the room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

First time travelling to New York with my boyfriend and we knew finding somewhere nice, safe and central to stay was going to be an issue. However, when we stumbled across this little gem we were very happy. This hotel is great value for money and has a great location. Its nothing fancy but you are in New York so all you need is a clean bed and bathroom which it provided. The rooms were a decent size and, although, the bathrooms were communal and not in your room there were 4 to each floor and we never had to wait to use one. They were also always clean. The hotel is situated on East 17th Street and is a great central spot to go exploring. There is also a little 24 hour diner close to the hotel which we went to for breakfast and it was great. I was surprised at how quiet the hotel was. I assumed we would be kept awake by the traffic and noise of the city but this hotel is tucked away on a quiet little street and I was never kept awake by any noise. There was also a working safe in the room which was great for keeping our passports and tickets in. All in all, its not the Plaza but for a young couple wanting to explore this amazing city it is a nice, quiet and cheap hotel that allowed us to have a great holiday! :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel twice in the last 2 years but have only now got around to writing a review. In NYC, you need a bed with a room, a safe and somewhere to shower. The fact that this hotel has these to a high standard and at a fantastic value rate compared to others is amazing.

Yes the rooms are small, yes there's no view out of the window but so what? If you're spending any more time in a room in NYC other than sleeping then you shouldn't be there. The shared bathroom did put me off on my first visit but they are spotlessly clean and there are a couple on each floor so there's never a wait and it was the same again on my second visit so they obviously keep high standards of cleanliness.

Just like the overall hotel, the rooms are themed to look like something from the 1920's with lots of wood, low lighting and fancy wallpaper. But just like the shared bathrooms they're clean, secure and have everything you need.

The area the hotel is in is really beautiful and you get the sense of what it's like to live in NY as it has a resident feel to it. There's lots to see around you and you're minutes away from Union SQ and it's huge Metro station that'll get you to anywhere in NYC.

Both times I've stayed there I've noticed that during the day, the person on reception is friendly and helpful. Of an evening and at night, they have this one guy on reception who is horrible! The second time I arrived at night and he honestly looked like he wanted to punch me because i'd taken him away from reading his book because he had to check me in. I certainly wouldn't let that put you off though, it just made me laugh that he was as equally unhelpful, unfriendly and miserable on both my stays. Just do what I did and give him the biggest smile you can manage, I think it annoys him more!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Destin, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I will definitely be back to this hotel. I'm on a solo road trip with my 8-year-old son and wanted to spend a couple of days in NYC. I was torn between Hotel 17 and a hotel in Brooklyn that offered free parking (a big concern for me) but got bad reviews. I'm so happy I chose Hotel 17. The hotel and the location are absolutely charming, the staff were great (I honestly think they clean the bathrooms after every guest. There was always a bathroom available and they were spotless.), the room was spacious and even had a sink & vanity, a TV/DVD combo and a coffee maker. I was able to find a parking garage only 1 block away that let me book and pay for a space online so I wouldn't have to hunt - a huge relief - for about $50 (which is a lot for anywhere else, but a decent price for NYC.) The hotel is very pretty and feels much higher end than the price - and the shared bathroom was just a minor inconvenience and not really a problem at all. Also, the window unit AC made the room so quiet -- we never heard any of the other guests.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel 17? Share your experiences!