“Nice, affordable hotel in a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 17

You added Hotel 17 to your Saves list
Hotel 17
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 East 17th Street, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Ranked #305 of 457 Hotels in New York City
Sydney, Australia
“Nice, affordable hotel in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Hotel 17 is a quaint, older style hotel with shared bathrooms. I booked a triple room on the 6th floor as I knew the rooms were small. It was great for me, travelling alone. The size would be ok for two people, but a squeeze for three. It had a wash basin, TV and plenty of drawers. The room was quiet and had a pleasant view of other houses on the street. The shared bathroom was not a problem, I felt like I was the only one using it. There seem to be two bathrooms in each corridor. The staff were friendly and helpful. The only downside was not having coffee/tea facilities in the room or anywhere in the hotel. However, as an affordable hotel, close to subways, Times Square, Greenwich Village and the Flatiron district, it is a great find and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: BTW there is no pool, of course. To choose a room with a good outlook and quiet, try the West side.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Polish first
Chicago Ridge, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Very impressed with the overall ambiance of the place although front desk staff was a bit lazy. Loved the overall design and despite being small our room in size the overall comfy feel more than made up for the mentioned shortcomings.

Room Tip: 518 room bathrpom right across from the room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

First time travelling to New York with my boyfriend and we knew finding somewhere nice, safe and central to stay was going to be an issue. However, when we stumbled across this little gem we were very happy. This hotel is great value for money and has a great location. Its nothing fancy but you are in New York so all you need is a clean bed and bathroom which it provided. The rooms were a decent size and, although, the bathrooms were communal and not in your room there were 4 to each floor and we never had to wait to use one. They were also always clean. The hotel is situated on East 17th Street and is a great central spot to go exploring. There is also a little 24 hour diner close to the hotel which we went to for breakfast and it was great. I was surprised at how quiet the hotel was. I assumed we would be kept awake by the traffic and noise of the city but this hotel is tucked away on a quiet little street and I was never kept awake by any noise. There was also a working safe in the room which was great for keeping our passports and tickets in. All in all, its not the Plaza but for a young couple wanting to explore this amazing city it is a nice, quiet and cheap hotel that allowed us to have a great holiday! :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel twice in the last 2 years but have only now got around to writing a review. In NYC, you need a bed with a room, a safe and somewhere to shower. The fact that this hotel has these to a high standard and at a fantastic value rate compared to others is amazing.

Yes the rooms are small, yes there's no view out of the window but so what? If you're spending any more time in a room in NYC other than sleeping then you shouldn't be there. The shared bathroom did put me off on my first visit but they are spotlessly clean and there are a couple on each floor so there's never a wait and it was the same again on my second visit so they obviously keep high standards of cleanliness.

Just like the overall hotel, the rooms are themed to look like something from the 1920's with lots of wood, low lighting and fancy wallpaper. But just like the shared bathrooms they're clean, secure and have everything you need.

The area the hotel is in is really beautiful and you get the sense of what it's like to live in NY as it has a resident feel to it. There's lots to see around you and you're minutes away from Union SQ and it's huge Metro station that'll get you to anywhere in NYC.

Both times I've stayed there I've noticed that during the day, the person on reception is friendly and helpful. Of an evening and at night, they have this one guy on reception who is horrible! The second time I arrived at night and he honestly looked like he wanted to punch me because i'd taken him away from reading his book because he had to check me in. I certainly wouldn't let that put you off though, it just made me laugh that he was as equally unhelpful, unfriendly and miserable on both my stays. Just do what I did and give him the biggest smile you can manage, I think it annoys him more!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Destin, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I will definitely be back to this hotel. I'm on a solo road trip with my 8-year-old son and wanted to spend a couple of days in NYC. I was torn between Hotel 17 and a hotel in Brooklyn that offered free parking (a big concern for me) but got bad reviews. I'm so happy I chose Hotel 17. The hotel and the location are absolutely charming, the staff were great (I honestly think they clean the bathrooms after every guest. There was always a bathroom available and they were spotless.), the room was spacious and even had a sink & vanity, a TV/DVD combo and a coffee maker. I was able to find a parking garage only 1 block away that let me book and pay for a space online so I wouldn't have to hunt - a huge relief - for about $50 (which is a lot for anywhere else, but a decent price for NYC.) The hotel is very pretty and feels much higher end than the price - and the shared bathroom was just a minor inconvenience and not really a problem at all. Also, the window unit AC made the room so quiet -- we never heard any of the other guests.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Southington, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed over night, The room was very clean. the atmosphere reminded me of the roaring 20's kind of hotel. beautiful woodwork with ambient lighting. it was right across from Stuyvesant Park in the village. Very cozy.

Room Tip: The shared bath was right across the hall and very clean.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was my third time staying here and my wife and I stayed in one room with my parents in another.

As before, the rooms were clean and the shared bathrooms were always spotless.

What let the hotel down this time was the attitude of the staff, no where near as friendly as our previous visits.

I think three times in NYC might be enough, but, contrary to my previous review, if I do return to the city again I'll be looking for another hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel 17? Share your experiences!