“Worst hotel on the planet” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Off Soho Suites

You added Off Soho Suites to your Saves list
Off Soho Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Rivington Street, New York City, NY 10002 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #350 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Worst hotel on the planet”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

We stayed here last week. Arrived at around 12 midnight. The room was sparse. No comforter on the bed, the sheets seemed dirty and the blanket was filthy. Mattress was covered in body fluids probably blood and God knows what. Curtains were filthy and we got a room with a pull out couch for my two daughters. It wasn't even a pull out couch. It sagged in the middle and was filthy. Bathroom was gross. We had to spend the night because it was so late and we had been traveling for hours. They also told us on the phone that they would valet our car. Not true. We had to find a garage about 4 blocks away and walk back at midnight in the freezing cold in an area that we knew nothing about. This hotel is definitely not as advertised, seemed to be hooker palace. We payed $350 for this scummy place.

We were not able to get a refund. But the manager was pleasant enough when we complained about the filth. If you want to stay at a great hotel for the same price around the same area, we moved over to the Cooper Square Hotel in Cooper Square. Everything was immaculate, they were super accomodating and the food at the restaurant was incredible.

Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ballina, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

In past trips overseas we have stayed in all levels of accomodation (incl Sofitel Washington/ Bellagio Vegas on this trip also). NYC accomodation is very expensive, and we were under no illusions we would be getting what we paid for, though were really happy that our expectation was exceeded.
We knew before we arrived that the NYC experience would be about cramming as much into our day as we could - and crashing when we got to bed - to us, the room was somewhere to put our head down. The trade off, is the money we could save in accommodaiton we could put into expereinces in the City.
The Rivington streetscape is a bit edgy, though once through the door, we were greeted with the friendliest desk manager we have ever encountered - Gabe is a deadset legend - one of the lovliest blokes we have encountered, and every night gave us the opportunity to shoot the breeze with a hard working family man.
Location wise, the place is brilliant - a short walk to the Bowery, where the only decent cup of espresso coffee in NY seems to be made (head to Think Coffee). Close to Chinatown/ Little Italty/ Soho/ East Village - in short, a walk in any direction gets you to an interesting part of the city. The 2nd Ave subway uptown is a short walk around the block, and Prince St on the Yellow Line (a bit further west of Broadway) opens up a heap of other options. Try Cup and Saucer for a US diner brekkie experience and Prosperity Dumplings for authentic Chinese at a ridiculously low price. (both on Eldridge St)
If you are after glitz, and are willing to pay for the honour, head mid/ uptown. If you want a really central location that allows you the opportunity to spend the extra $'s saved from an uptown chain hotel, this is the digs.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

When we first drove down Rivington Street we all were a little concerned with what was awaiting us, especially myself who booked the accommodation for me and two friends (one male, one female) to celebrate my 30th. However, Rivington Street is a loooong street and the suites are at the nicer end. We arrived on Thanksgiving and were pleased to see a friendly face behind reception. This set the standard of the service throughout our five night stay, not at all intrusive, very relaxed but more than happy to offer advice and help when needed. Our room was on the 2nd floor, very clean, comfortable and big enough for three. The only thing it could of benefitted from was more storage for clothing, there were not enough hangers and we all ended up living out of our suitcases. The room was incredibly warm and cosy which was welcomed after the coldness of the days out, just remember that when you are putting on the layers!! We had no problems celebrating my birthday with a few friends from NYC in the room before heading out. They had storage for baggage on our last day which was most useful.
The area immediatly around the accommodation is not an indication of what is on offer nearby so dont be put off, what looks like bordered up and closed shops all came alive after the thanksgiving break and we were across the road from the cool and quirky designer area of Soho, a 10 min walk from Little Italy and a nice 5-10 min walk from the nearest subway for access to uptown and downtown. Once we got our bearings we felt really comfortable, safe and happy with our choice o accommodation. Take time to look into local shops and eateries, and Broadway East is all but a 10 min walk with highstreet shops, bars and restaurants! Thoroughly enjoyed our stay, simple accommodation but safe, welcoming and great value.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Amesbury, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

I brought my twins for their first trip to NYC for their Sweet Sixteen. I was aware that we booked a hotel a little off the beaten path, but the website made it appear cozy, if not luxurious, so I was ready for an average place. The street it's on is a disappointment, but we could overlook that, as it's convenient to Canal St. where we wanted to shop. We arrived @ 3pm, and was sent to our room with keys. The maid had just begun cleaning, and it was filthy, we had to step over bedding and such to put our luggage down. Spoke to the front desk to tell them, and they said "oh, it's ok" ( really? not ok with ME!) We got back and the bedroom that was advertised with two queens, had two twins, no TV and no bureaus. We asked for a cot ( I had 3 teens with me) had to ask twice. I slept in the pull out, in the living area..........literally it's a wooden board with maybe a 1/2" padding, like sleeping on the floor. No sleep for me, and a 4:30 am a rowdy crowd made it impossible to try any further. Upon asking for another cot so I could maybe sleep one night, they sent a maid with bedspreads for padding. Back to the front desk, and told him, he called the maid stupid. The help seems afraid of the managers, sad. He told me to follow him to the basement ( after me literally begging) and pointed to a cot that was folded, and said " here, take this, hurry, I don't want a headache" I had to wheel it to my room on the second floor, but at this point I was grateful. After the first night I had to have someone come sweep the girls bedroom because my daughter got glass in her foot, and fine shards were everywhere on the floor. I had to wipe grimy finger prints off of stained walls. Light bulbs were out, and it's really outdated.
Next day, no maid service, but she had taken our towels, and not replaced them. Had to call front desk again. Also asked if they provided tissues..nope. No ammonites at all. This was a huge letdown, and I would never recommend staying here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

Given the reviews i was not expecting a lot and the hotel did match my expectations. The reason we chose the hotel was because it was located a couple of blocks from where we were meeting a group of people but the area especially Rivington street itself is not that nice. We had a "Suite" and the bedroom itself was sparse with no TV. On the bright side the bed was comfortable and the front desk staff was pleasant but would probably not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
south bend
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

O.K. I'll be honest, I tried to find a hotel in the SoHo area that would be cost friendly for me & my 13 year old daughter for her first trip into this city. I researched many places and kept coming back to this one as many of the reviewers were very happy with the location and the price. Perhaps I need to dig a little deeper into the reviews but no one seems to mention the BAR next door to this hotel and the bottles breaking and people talking and traffic of people walking by the hotel as you are woken up at 4:00 a.m by all the noise. There are also many bars up and down Rivington, the street which this hotel sits, and as we stayed there Thursday night through a Sunday, the traffic of people was often, loud and to be honest, obnoxious & rude. Our bedroom faced Rivington, so perhaps that was the issue. We had a two twin bedroom room with the small but adequate kitchen/sofa room and off of that, a bathroom. It is very nice to have a refrigerator and place to hang out and my daughter really like this aspect. However, I did not like the surroundings at all-I guess it was too "urban" for me, though I have spent over a decade in downtown Chicago and have never come across something quite like this. I really can't recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
carpetking5432
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

Stayed in the off soho apartments for a long weekend and got to say that it was a pleasant surprise the apartments were well sized for three people and the facilities were acceptable if a little dated.The bedrooms could do with a TV in them would be my main observation and maybe an additional drawer for clothing
The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful and would be one of the reasons to return.
The location was 5minutes from the subway network and there were no problems despite a sometimes late return.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Off Soho Suites? Share your experiences!