“purple bathtubs!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Deauville

You added Hotel Deauville to your Saves list
Hotel Deauville
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   103 East 29th Street, New York City, NY 10016 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #298 of 463 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“purple bathtubs!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2006

I stayed here in Jan. 05. It's a simple, clean hotel about 2 blocks from the subway in midtown. The staff was courteous and friendly. Rooms were clean. There was a TV in the room, I don't think it had cable. I'd stay here again.

• Liked — the bathroom - there was purple tile!
  • Disliked — the room was very plain and simple
  • Tips/Secrets — enjoy the old fashioned elevator!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2006

I have just returned from a very pleasant 3 night stay at the Hotel Deauville. The hotel is very old (but that adds a bit of charm!)its clean and comfortable and fine for the amount of time you will spend there (you wont spend much time in your room when in New York!) Its the staff that make this hotel so reccomendable. They are extremley helpful and polite and are happy to give advice on anything you ask. The hotel is situated about a 20- 25 minute walk from Times Square and 10 minutes from the Empire State building. Taxis are very cheap, we never paid more than $8 going around Manhattan. There are plenty of coffee shops and grocery stores nearbye and,obviously, plenty of restaurants too.

I would definatley return to the Deaville if on a budget.

• Liked — Helpful Staff
  • Disliked — Rooms were old and not nicely furnished/decorated
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2006

We stayed in the Deauville for three nights at the end of Sept 2006. I was a little nervous about what it would be like, having read unfavourable reviews of others hotels in New York. Luckily I was pleasantly surprised to find it clean and comfortable. Our room had one double bed, hanging space with hangers, tv, bedside tables, chest of drawers and towels provided. As budget travellers, we opted for a shared bathroom, and were pleased to find a sink in our room. The bathroom was next door and also spotlessly clean. We had a daily housekeeping service and heard vacuuming every day. The Deauville is also in an excellent location (walking distance to Empire State Building and Times Square) and I felt safe in the area at night.

The only small thing that was wrong was that our room got quite warm and the air-con very loud so we couldn't have it on at night; and the window faced a brick wall, about 2-3 feet away. Being on the third floor this meant practically no natural light reached the room. However, for some people this may be a plus! It also made the room quieter than I expected for New York.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Deauville: it is fairly basic but good value for money and most importantly, clean. The staff were pleasant and I would definitely stay there again. It is not the kind of hotel you'd spend a lot of time in, but who's going to stay indoors when on holiday in New York anyway!

• Liked — Clean, had everything we needed, good location
  • Disliked — No window view
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for three nights from 25th September 2006.
We chose the hotel from an online booking site because we wanted something fairly central but inexpensive. This hotel delivered that.
If you are wanting something, modern, slick with lots of facilities, then don't book the Deauville - you will be better suited by one of the many pricier hotels in Manhattan. However, if you want a hotel that is handily located, inexpensive but clean and friendly, then this fits the bill.
Our trip to the USA included a visit to a friend in PA, so we arrived at the Deauville in the afternoon of 25th having driven our hire car back to JFK. We got a yellow cab to the hotel for a fixed fee of $45 and that was a good and effortless way to get to the hotel. They checked us in immediately and efficiently with our internet booking voucher. Our room was on the 6th floor (a quaint lift is available for those not too keen on stairs). The room had 2 queen beds and was clean and tidy. It had ample hanging and storage space and a decent sized bathroom. My only slight complaint would be that the room smelled smokey but this didn't bother me too much and i didn't mention it to the staff so i can't comment on how they might have dealt with it if i had.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and i generally felt very safe in the area (common sense must be used of course). The lady on reception was happy to offer advice on how to find places - we had booked an open top bus tour and wanted to find the departure point and the lady offered to write down bus routes and/or subway instructions for us if needed (though we actually decided to walk to it on the end as walking is very easy in Manhattan). She also booked a car for us for our return to JFK. The hotel is situated between Lexington and Park Avenues on East 29th Street. The walk to the ticket office for the the bus tour was about 45 minutes but very pleasant as you crossed all the main avenues and a selection of the central streets (seeing many of the famous sites on the way). Getting around is very easy in Manhattan (especially if you have a good map of the blocks) - its almost impossible to get lost.
For those travelling for a short sightseeing trip, i would certainly recommend the 48 hour 4 loops bus tour. I know its a bit cheesy but it gets you about the island and the guides are very informative. We had a great time in NY and found that the Deauville met our needs which, as i said, were for a low cost basic, but clean friendly and comfortable hotel. We literally only slept there - if you intend to spend more time in your hotel, perhaps its not for you. If anyone would like further info, i am happy to answer emails if/when i can. toffeegirl@tiscali.co.uk

• Liked — Price - good value for the money paid.
  • Disliked — Smell of smoke in the room and poor view.
  • Tips/Secrets — Do some reasearch about the area before you go - consider a bus tour.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2006

I arrived at this hotel at 4:00 in the afternoon after booking at least a month prior to the arrival time. They had sold our rooms to someone else. They offered some feeble explanation that went something like "we don't overbook like other hotels, but we overbooked in this case". Their offer of compensation was for some kind of deal the next time we were in NY. Real generous to offer something you know you will never need to deliver on.

The city was very busy that day with a large UN meeting. My belief is that they simply sold our rooms to people who paid a higher rate.

They had booked us into another nearby hotel that we walked over to with all of our luggage. Prior to the walk, I asked about the quality of the new hotel. They assured me it was fine, which was completely false. It was a total dump - you had to pay in advance through a plexiglass window, it was rundown, had one TV channel, carpet that covered up holes in the floor, etc.

After we checked into the other hotel, I went back and confronted the sales manager about poor quality of the other hotel. She then admitted to me that she had never been inside, so she had lied when she assured me that it was a quality hotel.

I travel extensively and have ran into overbooked situations many times before, but never this early in the day. Also, in other cases the offending hotel goes to great lengths to make sure that the alternate accomodation was acceptable. The fact that we were sent off to such a dump is an outrage in my opinion. So stay away from this place or risk having your trip ruined too.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

I booked the hotel room through Jet Blue Airways. I arrived at 5:30 am Wednesday (red eye flight from Los Angeles) for an 8:30 am job interview. The night staff stored my bags and let me use the hall bathroom to dress for the interview. The hall bathroom was spotlessly clean and very comfortable.

My room was also clean and comfortable. Yes, the window faced a brick wall, and the nightstand had a stain on it. Big deal! For the price this hotel was totally worth it. The day staff (an older woman) was very nice. The location is wonderful: one block from Park Avenue and a subway stop.

When I visit NYC, all I need is a safe place to sleep at night. I spend the rest of my time OUTSIDE the hotel, enjoying the city. The Deauville meets my needs.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2006

Just came back from a pleasant 4 night stay in the Deauville Hotel. Exceptionally friendly staff who would bend over backwards to help, very clean rooms with everything you would need, a good shower and very comfortable beds! Very centrally located and is a better than average hotel considering its low cost! Would definitely recommend, but do remember that it is budget so it is basic.

• Stayed May 2006

Been to Hotel Deauville? Share your experiences!