“Enjoyable Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge Times Square

You added Econo Lodge Times Square to your Saves list
Econo Lodge Times Square
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   302 West 47th Street, New York City, NY 10036 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Offers & Announcements
$179 (USD)
Ranked #238 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Mabank, Texas
“Enjoyable Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here for three days in September before going on cruise. We chose this hotel for the price and location. Our room was small, but adequate. There was a mini-fridge, and the bathroom looked liked it had recently been remodeled. Friendly staff and a limited free continental breakfast and 24 hour coffee in the lobby. We walked as far as Central Park and Grand Central Station. Lots of food places nearby. The pharmacy across the street has groceries, soft drinks, beer, Ice cream. You can stock the mini fridge and save a lot on food. The elevator is a little slow,but it was clean and looked to be well maintained. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the fifth floor and street noise was not a big problem, although the emergency siren...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Daisy S, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Times Square, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your kind review. The staff here at Econo Lodge Times Square takes pride in their everyday work and we are glad we were able to meet all your needs and requests. Excited to hear the mini-refrigerator was good to store you groceries, soft drinks, beer, and ice cream; knowingly how expensive food can get in the city. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations with the elevator working slow during the duration of your stay. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. We take pride in offering exceptional customer service at no additional cost.

Econo Lodge Times Square Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Greek first
Niteroi, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Really enjoyed the hotel! There are many good points I can list:
- Good price in comparison to the other hotels;
- Amazing location;
- Great staff;
- Breakfast included!! (It's not a brunch, but we must consider that it's hard to find a hotel that has breakfast included!!)
- Great service;
- Wifi included;
- Unlimited calls to US and Canada;
- Discount ticket given of 20% to be used in the next stay (the whole stay, not one night!! =D)

One bad point is that it's necessary to reactivate the room key every day!! Nothing is perfect though!

For sure I'll return the next time in NYC!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Daisy S, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Times Square, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your kind review. The staff here at Econo Lodge Times Square takes pride in their everyday work and we are glad we were able to meet all your needs and requests. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations with having to reactivate your room keys throughout the duration of your stay. Please note that this hotel procedure is done for security purposes. We are glad this has not caused a negative impact on a future stay.

Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay! I was visiting New York for a few days and decided to stay here because I've heard great things. The room was a little small but it was well worth it due to its proximity to such great city attractions. It was super close to the subway so moving around was a breeze. The place was well kept and the staff was great. In fact, Steve was very friendly when helping me bring my luggage to my room. Later in the evening he helped me with directions. I'd definitely come back here!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your kind review. We are glad the location was convenient and suitable for you. The rooms are small but the beds are very comfortable. Steve is one of our long term associates and enjoys building relationships with guests such as yourself. He actually remembers helping you bring the luggage to your room and later that evening helping you with directions. He says hi!

New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on (top floor) 7th floor "penthouse" - this top floor room is a flight of stairs after 6th floor elevator (which we didn't mind) on its own floor, was told it was larger room.
The wifi would not connect but the staff tried their best to restart router each day to try to get it working for us.
Staff was helpful, friendly...the place was clean and easy to get from subway (50th is closest) price was good.

• Stayed September 2013
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your kind review. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations with WI-FI running slow. We are in the process of changing providers for better WI-FI improvement to our guests. We are glad the location was suitable and convenient for you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Loved my stay. Seven days running around the most famous city in the world. After walking around all you need is a clean room, comfortable warm bed. The front desk staff was amazing, trinita and Nigel are a great combo at the desk. I will be returning in January for a conference. Thanks for the hospitality.

• Stayed December 2012
Daisy S, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Times Square, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your kind review. The staff here at Econo Lodge Times Square takes pride in their everyday work and we are glad we were able to meet all your needs and requests. Trinita is one of our long term associates and enjoys building relationships with guests such as yourself. We are glad you slept well in our sleeping quarters and the beds were comfortable for you. Thank you for your business.

We look forward to seeing you again in January for your conference.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This was my first trip to New York. My wife and I were visiting her college friend from when they attended Cal State LA many years ago. My wife made the reservations and everything about our four-day visit (Friday through Monday) was perfect. The professionalism and helpfulness of the staff and the quality of the decor and furniture made me feel that I was staying at a hotel with a fancier name (going by California standards). The close proximity (two blocks) to Times Square and the tour bus station made for a memorable and fun experience. The room was a bit of close quarters by California standards, but my wife's sister-in-law had forewarned us of what to expect and it was just part of our NYC experience. The complimentary breakfast was one of the best I've experienced and they kept it well-stocked until the end of the breakfast period. When we come back to New York next year, this is where we're staying.
My only somewhat negative experience involved the souvenir shop next door. The salesman gave us discounts and then asked for cash rather than take our credit card. He then didn't offer a receipt and I didn't press the issue. I was able to return a defective item the next morning with no problem, but I now realize he could have been pocketing the cash for himself. So I would recommend always saying I don't have the cash and paying with a credit card.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Daisy S, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge Times Square, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your kind review. We are glad the location was convenient and suitable for you and your wife. The staff here at the Econo Lodge takes pride in assisting of all our guests and building relationships; we thank you for the kind comments about the staff. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations with the gift shop next door and the staff asking to collect cash rather than credit card. I have personally brought this up to the store manager for further follow up.

missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

New York City….what an AMAZING PLACE!!! My husband and I arrived into LaGuardia late at night 9:30 p.m. due to a canceled flight in Chicago. However, our luggage was put on a later flight and did not arrive until after 10:00 p.m. We took a taxi from LaGuardia to the hotel. The fare was $34.83. I was a bit bummed because I really wanted to check out the city. I was not disappointed as NYC really does not ever sleep!!! We checked into Econolodge, a block from Times Square and walked around and had pizza at one of the MANY little pizza shops that must stay open til I don’t know when!!! There were lots of places open to eat within a block of the hotel…even after midnight. We ended up getting back to the hotel around 1:30 a.m.
The Econolodge had a different vibe for me. Price was good by New York standards compared to the other hotels I researched. We had a Queen size room. However, the room was SOOOO SMALL!!!! I cruise as often as I can and a prior poster stated that this room prepared her for her cabin on the cruise she was about to go on. I kid you not, this room was smaller than any oceanview or balcony cabin I have ever stayed in on four different cruiselines. It is TINY!!!! The bathroom was probably about the size of a cruiseship bathroom. I am a small person and I had trouble walking around the bed in our room. Breakfast at the hotel was nothing to write home about unless you were venting. We ended up throwing it away it was so bad and going out for breakfast. Hotel staff was AWESOME!!!! Staff was very helpful and courteous.
The hotel is situated at the corner of 47th Street and 8th Avenue. The location of the hotel is very noisy. There is a fire station within a few hundred feet. It seemed like sirens were going off all night long. There is also a travel tour company with the double decker buses a couple buildings away, GrayLine I believe is what it was called. We used City Sights New York and did the night tour of the city and the 1 ½ hour boat tour of the island and rode the buses as an “on / off” mode of transportation. There were other things thrown in with the ticket, but we didn’t use them as we had already been on those excursions. I believe our pass was $59 per person. On Sunday when we were there, at least 10 blocks by the hotel were blocked off for street vendors selling everything from Gyro’s; Funnel Cakes; BBQ; Lemonade; scarves; jewelry; t’shirts/sweatshirts; and notebook/phone covers, etc. The street vendors are there until 6:00 p.m. Ninth Avenue is loaded with tons of restaurants and nightclubs.
While in New York City, we did the Statue of Liberty tour including the Crown; Rockefeller Tour with passes to the Top of the Rock; 9/11 Memorial Site; Top of the Empire State Building; NBC Studio Tour and went to see the Broadway Show Mamma Mia. We were very disappointed in the NBC Studio Tour. The tour starts out with a movie about the past shows from NBC that lasts about 7 minutes. You then go to studio where they tell you they film Saturday Night Live (Very Tiny). Then they take you to a “Simulated news/weather room” where two people from your group will pretend to be the weather person and newscaster. And that is pretty much the extent of it. Definitely not worth the $27.50 we paid for the tickets.
When we left, we took a taxi from the hotel to Penn Station, to catch a train to Philadelphia. The taxi fare for that trip was around $12.00. Penn Station is an absolutely beautiful train station. Even if you are not taking a train anywhere, it is worth a look.

Hello and Thank You for choosing Econo Lodge Times Square,

Thank you for your review. We are glad the location was convenient and suitable for you and you enjoyed New York City. The staff here at the Econo Lodge takes pride in assisting of all our guests and building relationships with them; we thank you for your nice comments about the staff. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations with our breakfast menu bar items. We are planning on expanding our breakfast menu bar with many more different selections; hopefully the on your next visit we will have these items for you.

Econo Lodge Times Square Team

Been to Econo Lodge Times Square? Share your experiences!