“OK.. but there are better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Save Saved
You added Pod 51 Hotel to your Saves list
Pod 51 Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230 East 51st Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
Free Drink at Check-In!
Ranked #207 of 451 hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“OK.. but there are better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights (USD90 on quikbooks for the double with bathroom).

Good points? Location was OK and plenty of places to eat (Pax on the corner was a regular place for breakfast). Shower, free wifi internet = good. Concierge very helpful (didn't get her name) - had to print something up and she let me email and use their printers.

Not so good points? The lifts took forever and as was on the 2nd floor quicker to use the stairs. Seemed to attract noisy clientele - at one point felt like I was back at college, could hear people talking and running around at 3am etc. You can hear what is going on in the next room and if the bathrooms are next to you, the pipes are noisy too. Heating was centralised (no control in room) so it was hot as hell. Had to open the bathroom window for air. View outside window of concrete floor - nice. They have speakers in the hallways with music and for some reason this came on at 5:30am and reception advised they couldn't turn it off! Annoying. Might be better off getting the bunks as they take up less floor space than the double and seem to have more room.

You definitely don't want to be spending much time in your room and I don't think would go again at this price. For extra USD20 I got a king room in a nice hotel in LES.

• Liked — free wifi
  • Disliked — noisy
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

3,512 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Polish first
merseyside, uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

After seeing some of the scathing reviews about this hotel i felt compelled to write a review based on my experiences. I stayed in the Pod Hotel in May 2008 for 5 nights and found it to be a great place to stay.
After quickly realising just how expensive hotels in NYC actually are and coming to the conclusion I would basically be only using my room for sleeping; I decided I would have to lower my expectations from a 3/4 star hotel to a budget operation. This led me to come across The Pod Hotel.
As I was not keen on the idea of staying in a hostel, the pod hotel offered a great economic alternative by operating a shared bathroom system but with the privacy of your own bedroom. I opted for the bunk bed room with shared bathroom.
I arrived at the hotel early evening and found check in was both quick and easy. Our room was very small, but as i spent very little time in it, it did not cause much if a problem. It was also very well looked after and clean. In the room were two single beds in the form of a bunk bed set up (each with it's own fold out 10'' tv) a sink area and desk with a phone and ipod docking station, as well as a signalling system above the door to indicate which of the floors four bathrooms were free.
One of my major concerns about The Pod Hotel was how clean the bathrooms would be, seeing as there were 4 on the floor to share with the 10-12 or so rooms. My fears were unfounded as throughout my whole time there the bathrooms were always in excellent condition, so much so that you would think you were the only one using it!
Now for the location. If you are a fairly fit person, it is within 30 mins walking distance of a number of attractions such as the rockefeller, empire state, central park, times square, grand central. I found the immediate area to be very safe and relatively quiet (we had a room at the back of the hotel and had no trouble with noise). There are a number of fast food places/café's around the corner on 2nd ave, including a mcdonalds, but you may have to travel a bit further to find a vast array of quality restaurants.
Whilst the price would afford you luxury in a lot of other places worldwide, by NYC standards it offers superb value for money and people should take this into consideration when marking this hotel.
In summary this is a great place for people who are looking for a basic and cheap base to explore NY from.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Room Size
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

I arrived at the hotel and check-in was very fast, no waiting for the room (8 pm). I got a double room to have my own bathroom, which I found not very clean (hairs/sink not really clean), but due to the fact that I was coming from Japan and going to Peru I was way too tired to change room, especially given the little connecting time I had. What disturbed me was the fact that there is no isolation, I could hear people talikng in the room besides mine, and they weren't talking loud at all...

Position of the hotel is very nice, easy to reach with the metro and just a few minutes by foot from the main attractions like Rockfeller Center and Times Square.

All in all it's not a bad hotel, but for the price (I know this is NY, but still...) I would have expected something a little better.

• Liked — Position, free internet access
  • Disliked — not as clean as expected
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

Great location- walking distance to Rockefeller Centre. 2 blocks from the Subway.

Arrived around 3am and managed to check in after emailing them of my late arrival.

Very clean, very small. But plenty of storage given it's size.

Rooftop garden great.

Heating in my room was a little temperamental.

• Liked — Location, good value, roof garden
  • Disliked — Lifts very slow.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

Just one word = Terrible.

I read many reviews before our stay, and became very convinced that the hotel would be great. I booked for 8 nights, and got a pretty good rate for the queen- pod.

We arrived at the hotel in the evening, after a 9h flight and some hours immigration queuing. I had asked the hotel for a quiet room in forhand, to make sure we would get some sleep.

The room was really small, and had a window to the bathroom?! why?! Our room was located in the ninth floor, so I was sure it was going to be silent. BUT, outside our window, there was a huge chimney, and about 5 ac-devices, that made a horrible noice. It was like staying inside the engine room of a passanger boat. We tried to get some sleep in the hard-as-concrete bed. When the time was 07:00am, and we had slept about a blink of an eye, I went downt to the reception and informed that we were going to change hotel.

The decoration and lightning in the corridor, were straight from some brothel, they even had half nude people running around.

The only good thing about this place, was that they didn't try to argue when we wanted to leave.

Do not trust these reviews, the only thing this hotel is good for, is arriving dead drunk, and leaving with vision impairing day after.

• Liked — Easy to leave
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
clearfiled
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

We stayed the week after Christmas. The room was very clean, nice and quiet. The beds were comfortable. We were even allowed to check in early & parking was free in front of the hotel since it was Sunday! The subway & garage parking is about 2 blocks away. The staff was helpful. It was a safe place to stay. We would absolutely stay here again!

• Liked — I felt safe
  • Disliked — expensive
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

I was so impressed with the Pod! It was just me so I booked a single room with shared bathroom, was concerned that the room would be too small or the bathrooms might be too busy/grim, but I needn't have worried at all, it was perfect. Housekeeping service was good, shared bathrooms were kept pristine. Room was a really good size for one, and having your own sink was good. location great - and a very safe area. Don't know if I would stay as a couple (size of room?) but (especiaIly with a good price from Expedia) for a single surely this is the best deal in New York - really enjoyed my stay.

• Liked — Great value for single travellers; everything really
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Pod 51 Hotel? Share your experiences!