“Never stay here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Save Saved
You added Pod 51 Hotel to your Saves list
Pod 51 Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230 East 51st Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
Free Drink at Check-In!
Ranked #213 of 452 hotels in New York City
Finland
“Never stay here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

Just one word = Terrible.

I read many reviews before our stay, and became very convinced that the hotel would be great. I booked for 8 nights, and got a pretty good rate for the queen- pod.

We arrived at the hotel in the evening, after a 9h flight and some hours immigration queuing. I had asked the hotel for a quiet room in forhand, to make sure we would get some sleep.

The room was really small, and had a window to the bathroom?! why?! Our room was located in the ninth floor, so I was sure it was going to be silent. BUT, outside our window, there was a huge chimney, and about 5 ac-devices, that made a horrible noice. It was like staying inside the engine room of a passanger boat. We tried to get some sleep in the hard-as-concrete bed. When the time was 07:00am, and we had slept about a blink of an eye, I went downt to the reception and informed that we were going to change hotel.

The decoration and lightning in the corridor, were straight from some brothel, they even had half nude people running around.

The only good thing about this place, was that they didn't try to argue when we wanted to leave.

Do not trust these reviews, the only thing this hotel is good for, is arriving dead drunk, and leaving with vision impairing day after.

• Liked — Easy to leave
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

2,974 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
clearfiled
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

We stayed the week after Christmas. The room was very clean, nice and quiet. The beds were comfortable. We were even allowed to check in early & parking was free in front of the hotel since it was Sunday! The subway & garage parking is about 2 blocks away. The staff was helpful. It was a safe place to stay. We would absolutely stay here again!

• Liked — I felt safe
  • Disliked — expensive
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

I was so impressed with the Pod! It was just me so I booked a single room with shared bathroom, was concerned that the room would be too small or the bathrooms might be too busy/grim, but I needn't have worried at all, it was perfect. Housekeeping service was good, shared bathrooms were kept pristine. Room was a really good size for one, and having your own sink was good. location great - and a very safe area. Don't know if I would stay as a couple (size of room?) but (especiaIly with a good price from Expedia) for a single surely this is the best deal in New York - really enjoyed my stay.

• Liked — Great value for single travellers; everything really
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009
orlando,fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

I had heard about this hotel around 2 years ago, and i had always wanted to stay there. I finally had my chance just this month, and it met all my expectations and more! A friend and I stayed in the bunkbed room for four nights. We checked in on Jan. 6th and left on the 10th. The bell hop and the people at the front desk were all VERY polite and helpful with everything. We ended up staying on the 9th floor in room 908. Everything was very neat and clean. I never had a problem with the shared bathrooms, there was always one available, and its great they have the inroom lights showing which bathrooms are in use. On the 9th floors i must say i prefered bathroom #3, i think it is one of their bigger bathrooms and the picture inside is just great. The housekeeper was exceptional! She alway greeted us when we left or came back and made us feel at home. The room is tiny, but we honestly did not spend that much time there it was just a place for us to sleep, but the beds were comfotable and I liked the little tv's on each bunk. The restaurants around the hotel are great also, we ate at Wild Ginger which is right next door or one buliding over... Great asian food, there is also a thai restaurant and a french restaraunt right there also, both looked great! About 2 or 3 blocks down on 2nd we found a great pizza place and there is also a pinkberry not to far. I would DEFINITELY recommend this hotel to anyone, its nice and clean and in a great location and best of all great price!!

Stayed January 2009
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

A friend and I stayed at the Pod Hotel over a weekend, we were very impressed with the hotel. We arrived early into the city, at 6am, so we went straight to the hotel to see if we could leave our bags there, our room was ready so we were able to check in. We stayed in a bunk room, shared baths. The room was small, but cozy. You really only in the hotel to sleep, so it was fine. The room had a lovely sink and countertop area for coesmetics etc. My 1 problem with the room was that the heater was very very loud. Whenever it came on it would make awful cranking noises, so during the night it was not that great, but we were so tired we just slept right through it. The hotel was very lovely and modern looking, and very clean. The shared baths were really clean I was very impressed!!! I will definitely be staying at this hotel again. Only a block walk from the subway system, and about a 15-20 minute walk into Times Sq. I would say. In the winter the walk isnt that great when it's cold out, but during the summer months it'd be lovely.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Loud inroom heater.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

My husband and I stayed at The Pod in September and plan to be back in May. It's a great, hip, place to stay on a budget. It is not a resort and they clearly explain the concept so if you go knowing that the rooms are small, etc. you'll be fine. The bathrooms are clean and there was always one available, etc.

There's a great intimate French restaurant just next door. And for breakfast we stopped at Pax a couple of blocks away. You are very close to the subways, so that's great, too.

Great deal.

• Liked — great value for the money
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kiev, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

The purpose was to stay for 1 night for 2 people in NY for low price in Manhattan. This place fits those requirements purfectly. The location of the hotel is great, it is really close to Central Park. There was the fastest check-in I've ever seen in my life, it took about 30 seconds. We stayed in bunkbed room with shower in the hall. That was not an inconvenience at all, because small in-room lamps indicate which of the 4 showers is free. Besides there is a wash-stand in the room. The room really is a bit small, but it is not a problem for people who percieve hotel room as a place to sleep. The rooms are neat, they give you bunch of towels, and there is soap and shampoo in the bathroom. The roof terrace is beautiful, it was like a little park in the middle of New York! The only problem we faced was that the water pipes were a bit loud, it was especially evident at night. Did not disturb sleep though. Overall it was a great experience for the price paid.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Piper noise
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Pod 51 Hotel? Share your experiences!