“Excellent location, good price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Save Saved
You added Pod 51 Hotel to your Saves list
Pod 51 Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230 East 51st Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
Free Drink at Check-In!
Ranked #208 of 451 hotels in New York City
Cruz Alta, RS
“Excellent location, good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We stayed at Pod for 4 nights. We choose the room with private bathroom. The room was small and demands a little bit of "engineer knowledge' to handle with the luggage. But everything was fine. The room was very clean and the employees very nice and solicitous

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

2,914 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Polish first
Kansas City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I stayed in one of the small bunk bed rooms with my 13 year old son. We were pleased to get an early checkin at 11am. Because I had the right expectations going in, the size of the room was fine (maybe a little stuffy). The bunk beds were comfortable and fun. Storage areas and in-room sink were great. Outdoor garden area, breakfast/happy area cafe, and rooftop garden were all excellent. The location was great -- it was my first time in NYC where I didn't stay in Times Square and it was very nice to come back to a quieter street. The indicator lights of when the shared bathrooms were occupied was perfect, and I never felt like they were all busy at the same time, even in the morning.

The thing that made me give this a 3 instead of a 5 were the bathrooms themselves. When we arrived at 11am on a Friday, the bathrooms were reasonable clean. I was glad to read another reviewer say to bring a hand towel, because it was awkward not to have one when you're dealing with wet hands and a room key. But when we came back to the room for a bit around 5pm, the bathrooms were a little nasty ... obviously a dried urine spray on the seat and drips around the base of the toilet. Tried two bathrooms and they were the same. The rest of the weekend, it wasn't quite as bad as it had been that first day, but I was already grossed out.

The other issue was it was very tiring to be out and about in the city all day and not just be able to come back to one's room and feel like you had some privacy. Instead, you could relax for a bit, but then every time you needed to use the toilet or shower, you had to make yourself presentable to walk the halls, have shoes on, have your key ready, schlep your stuff down, then put toilet paper on the seat before you could sit. I knew this was part of the deal when I booked the room, but not having a true respite each evening kept me from fully recharging my batteries for another busy day sightseeing.

I don't think the cost savings was enough that I'd do it again in the future. If I could get an affordable room with a bathroom at Pod 51, I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

For us this was the perfect compromise between price and location. We wanted to stay in the midtown area but couldn't afford to pay the high prices. We booked a bunk bed with shared bathroom and on arrival we were upgraded to a double en-suite which we were very pleased about. The room was very clean and in good condition as was the rest of the hotel. We didn't have contact with many of the staff but those that we did speak to were polite and helpful. For us it was definitely the right choise to choose something small and be in the right location that the other way around. If you like spending a lot of time in your hotel room and like a big room this ins't for you but if you don't mind something cosy and are on a budget then go for this.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed at Pod 51 for 9 nights. We chose the bunk room with shared bathroom as it was a bargain compared to most Manhattan accommodation. Yes, the room was small but it served its purpose of a place to sleep at night after exploring NYC all day. We were located on the top floor right near the bathrooms and the door to the rooftop. It was quite noisy being so close to so many door ways - particularly in the morning. The individual light and TV was really convenient. I had zero issues with the wireless connection both in the lobby and the room. The location was fabulous. We walked most places but the subway was only 2 blocks away. Whilst we only ate at the hotel once, there were so many places nearby to choose from (we loved Treehouse for breakfast!) and there was a grocery store around the corner. I would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Atlantic City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Admittedly this is a no frills hotel with tiny rooms but if you are able to get it cheap the value is there. If you are traveling with others you may want to look elsewhere first since the room will be really tight with more than one person.The bed was comfortable and the check in staff very friendly (check out not so much) during my visit. This hotel had one of the most diverse population of guests which made the experience more enjoyable. At check in they gave me a free drink at the attached restaurant and the lobby was a great place to relax. Not all the rooms have private bathrooms so double check before you book. My other issue was the rooms don't have individual climate controls so it was hot. My biggest concern is how loud it gets because the walls are very thin and the doors have a habit of slamming.

Room Tip: double check if you want a private bathroom.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

This is a nice, clean hotel in a great location in Manhattan. The staff is very nice as well. The rooms are TINY and have only a prison style sink. The restrooms and showers are down the hall which can be a problem if you are trying to leave at peak hours.

I was there by myself. The rooftop is great and the lobby is fantastic. There is plenty of great food around as well.

It's comfortable for the money, but not a luxurious experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for a week in May for our 21st birthdays after choosing pod since it was within our budget. Check-in was very quick and easy and we were each given a token for a free drink (beer or wine) in the bar next door. We also had to leave a $20 deposit on check-in.
We had a bunk bed room which was very small but absolutely fine for us since the only time we were in the room was to sleep. It was very clean and found the bed very comfy.
We had to share bathrooms but this wasn't a problem as there were 4 to choose from on our floor and there are little lights above the bedroom door to tell you if a bathroom is already occupied or not. We never had to wait long for a free bathroom and we only did wait because we were fussy with which one we wanted as they were all different sizes. The bathrooms were cleaned regularly and only saw one cockroach/water bug. Towels are provided in the rooms but they are the size of tea towels so I would recommend to bring one with you.
Never had a problem with the wi-fi, it was easy to connect and fast.
There's a roof top deck which we only found out about on the last day unfortunately because it was really lovely and you can bring your own drinks up and sit in the sun with them.
The hotel is about a 15-20 minute walk to Rockerfeller and 5 mins longer to Times Sq and its also really easy to get to on the subway from JFK which I would recommend rather than taking a taxi as it only cost us $7.50 each whereas we were told taxis have a set fare of about $60-70.
You are also able to leave your bag with the bellman if your flight home is later in the day as it was with us.
We didn't find there was any problem with noise levels within the hotel but we left the window open at night and so were woken up a few times with car horns as we were next to the road.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Pod 51 Hotel? Share your experiences!