“A good hotel but lower your expectations” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Save Saved
You added Pod 51 Hotel to your Saves list
Pod 51 Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230 East 51st Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
Free Drink at Check-In!
Ranked #213 of 452 hotels in New York City
Omaha, Nebraska
“A good hotel but lower your expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

This is a nice, clean hotel in a great location in Manhattan. The staff is very nice as well. The rooms are TINY and have only a prison style sink. The restrooms and showers are down the hall which can be a problem if you are trying to leave at peak hours.

I was there by myself. The rooftop is great and the lobby is fantastic. There is plenty of great food around as well.

It's comfortable for the money, but not a luxurious experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

2,962 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for a week in May for our 21st birthdays after choosing pod since it was within our budget. Check-in was very quick and easy and we were each given a token for a free drink (beer or wine) in the bar next door. We also had to leave a $20 deposit on check-in.
We had a bunk bed room which was very small but absolutely fine for us since the only time we were in the room was to sleep. It was very clean and found the bed very comfy.
We had to share bathrooms but this wasn't a problem as there were 4 to choose from on our floor and there are little lights above the bedroom door to tell you if a bathroom is already occupied or not. We never had to wait long for a free bathroom and we only did wait because we were fussy with which one we wanted as they were all different sizes. The bathrooms were cleaned regularly and only saw one cockroach/water bug. Towels are provided in the rooms but they are the size of tea towels so I would recommend to bring one with you.
Never had a problem with the wi-fi, it was easy to connect and fast.
There's a roof top deck which we only found out about on the last day unfortunately because it was really lovely and you can bring your own drinks up and sit in the sun with them.
The hotel is about a 15-20 minute walk to Rockerfeller and 5 mins longer to Times Sq and its also really easy to get to on the subway from JFK which I would recommend rather than taking a taxi as it only cost us $7.50 each whereas we were told taxis have a set fare of about $60-70.
You are also able to leave your bag with the bellman if your flight home is later in the day as it was with us.
We didn't find there was any problem with noise levels within the hotel but we left the window open at night and so were woken up a few times with car horns as we were next to the road.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Barcelona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

As you might read in other reviews rooms are small but price is convenient. Pros: location, location, location. Rooms are clean, internet at the lobby (sporadic in room). Cons: There are no curtains in the window of the bathroom so.. at 6 AM the sun wakes you up. I found two bugs on the floor (dead), but there were none in the bed. TV set had almost no sound. Noise but not impossible to sleep. I forgot my safe box open in the room with money inside and nothing was missing.

Room Tip: Be sure you bring some shades for your eyes. There are good restaurants in the block
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
winchester, massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This hotel has a great location and is very reasonably priced, but the rooms are tiny. They support a parking garage only one block away and you get a subsidized 24 hour rate of $35.00. Be sure to go up to the rooftop for the penthouse feel at youth hostel price. You can BYOB up to the roof. I have stayed there three times and would gladly go back again.

Room Tip: The double room is tiny, if you get a queen you get much more room. The bunk rooms with bathroom do...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

This is the second time i stay in this hotel. Location is very convenient to subway. Price is resaonable. Room design with style and is clean. Only things is that the room is quite small, don't really have a spot to stand when my luggage is open.

Collingswood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

We spent the night in NY before my daughter left out of JFK for 3 weeks in Europe and wanted a place that was reasonable in price and great on location. We found the POD on 51st and even though I have never stayed in a place without a bathroom I gave it a try. Check in was quick and easy and they give you a ticket for a free drink in the bar/restaurant next door at check in. We also made reservations with the bellman for a shuttle to JFK before we even left the lobby. Our room was at the end of the hall and upon entering I was a little surprised. There are bunk beds (of course I called the bottom bunk) which are a very nice size. Each area comes with a light and tv so it works well for those who want to get to sleep earlier than their roommate. Our small window did not look out onto anything but the shutters kept out anyone looking in. There is a small desk in the room and a sink with glasses provided. In looking back I am glad we were down the hall and away from the bathrooms because when I had to make a visit at 3am I was worried that I was making too much noise for those rooms right across. Might be convenient for them but I think the closing of the doors all night would keep my awake. The bathrooms were always available when we needed them - they were clean, showers appeared clean but after using the bathroom right after someone showered I have to say they were very humid and muggy. Size of rooms in NYC are very small and this is certainly no exception but it is functional and the beds were comfortable so no complaints from me. There is a small area in the lobby where you can purchase breakfast - a little pricey but again very convenient. This is not the usual area where we stay when visiting NYC as we usually like the mid town area but for the price I would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room away from the bathrooms unless you are one who needs to go frequently just fo...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed here for a Saturday night. While most hotels in Manhattan were $400+, this one was a great deal for just over $200. The room was small, but every hotel I've stayed in in Manhattan has small rooms. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was clean, looked a little like an airplane bathroom, but that went with the kitchy, modern theme of the hotel. The decor was very trendy everywhere. They had a cafe with outside deck where you could get a sit-down breakfast. There was a bar and restaurant attached to the lobby. There was a roof deck but I never made it up there. The service was great for the time we were there. They upgraded our room and gave us 2 free drinks for the bar. The location was also great. Short walk to Times Square and Central Park. Only a block from the subway. Lots of restaurants and bars right around the corner. I'll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: There was a cheaper option for shared bathrooms, but it was worth it to have the in-room bathroom. I...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Pod 51 Hotel? Share your experiences!