“Tiny rooms but you don't spend anytime in them anyway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

You added Pod 51 Hotel to your Saves list
Pod 51 Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230 East 51st Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Midtown)   |
Ranked #227 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Tiny rooms but you don't spend anytime in them anyway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

We stayed in a queen pod as I couldn't stand the idea of sharing a bathroom. The room was so tiny, the bathroom was like the ones you find in an aeroplane! That said, who spends time in their hotel room in NEW YORK!! The location was ideal, staff super friendly and the roof top area was nice, take a bottle of wine up there and soak in the view of this amazing city. The only thing that was disappointing was there wasn't a coffee machine (or kettle) in our rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

This is not a 5-star hotel by most people's hotel standards. But for New York City, I believed it deserved that for price, location and amenities.

Bottom line: I was happy with the experience, especially given that I booked only two weeks ahead. I was happy with the price ($169 a night plus taxes) and the Midtown location. And I liked it well enough that I would stay there again.

Yet I would hesitate to recommend it to others given its tiny space. It wasn’t a room to which you would want to go back, put up your feet, and comfortably read a good book or watch television (there is a 13-inch television on the wall, however).

I had a single, twin-bed room. I looked in one double room, where the double bed (note: not a queen) was against the wall, creating some inconvenience for an “inside” guest wanting to get up in the night. An online review mentioned this, said the hotel moved them to a different room where this wasn’t an issue.

The place has a European feel, and in fact many guests are Europeans and Asians. Here are principal things I liked about the hotel.
• Block and a half from the subway station for the north-south 6 train, and a short underground walk to an east-west train.
• Safe neighborhood, with the NYPD 17th Precinct station in the next block and a seemingly unnecessary 24/7 NYPD presence on the Pod 51 block. Among neighbors on the block: several restaurants, a synagogue with outdoor seating area, two foreign-government offices, a small school.
• In all respects the hotel seems modern and well-maintained.
• Good twin-size bed, good shower, thirsty towels (I chose the bathroom-down-the-hall option), free WiFi, in-room sink, daily housekeeping, good bedside reading light, standard heat/AC with a window that opens, complementary USA Today, concierge in lobby.
• Although I had the obligatory loud neighbors and slamming doors, I was never bothered by noise when I was in the room.
• Three humongous drawers under the bed, plus a small table, a desk and chair, and a folding luggage rack; clothes bar with six hangers.
• Building has 14 floors (no 13th), and a rooftop with Adirondack chairs.
• Half-block away Treehaus restaurant (buffet lines and order-at-counter options) and a block over on Lexington a bakery and grocery/deli.

Room Tip: Some reviews refer to noise from the street-level bar; I had an interior room and heard no bar noise...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Oregonian45
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

This is definitely not a hotel for older travelers. The compact space saving dresser under the bed should have been the first clue. This was like an old fashion college dorm room without a desk, and not as big as a shared dorm room. The front desk staff and bell men were really pleasant and helpful. This is truly a concept out of my wheel house and I will leave to the young more environmentally oriented to maneuver.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Gurgaon, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

In the first look, the room with a queen's bed is pretty small for that price but, with the storage spaces, and all amenities, there's nothing you would miss. Just that the wash space is really small and you will have to be careful. The location is the best part...in middle of manhattan...and close to every thing happening in the city! There's a great pub down on the ground floor, and a make do kitchen too.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

This kind of hotel has the future : trendy, clean and relatively cheap.
We stayed for 4 nights in a Bunk Pod in the Pod hotel on 51st Street.
I’m not usually a big fan of shared bathrooms but in this hotel it did not bother me.
First of all, the bathrooms seems to be cleaned quite often, there are plenty and there’s a clever
system in the room showing which one is free.
The room is very tiny as many already wrote. However there was space enough to leave both our suitcases open. I’ve seen different before in so-called executive rooms.
The Bunk bed comes with two TVs and two reading lights. Perfect solution if you want to share a room with a friend.
The hotel has a roof terrace which seems to be nice but which we simply forgot to visit. It will give us a reason to come back.
When checking in, we got two coupons to get a glass of wine for free in the Pop@Pod bar next door. That’s a nice treat but I would advice to be a bit more flexible in the choice of free drinks: we asked for a diet coke instead of the glass of wine and the waitress told this was not possible. Quite odd and annoying so we left after the first drink.
We did not take breakfast in the hotel as we found better choices nearby. Being Belgian, I can recommend Le Pain Quotidien just around the corner at 2nd Avenue, between 49th & 50th street.
In summary, for my next trips to New York, I will definitely stay in one of the POD hotels!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank ccverb0100
Modena, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Fantastic Style hotel!
This structure is located in a good central zone, near the Grand Central Station.
Beautiful rooms,not very large, but very functionally and cean!17 floors and a wonderful roof-bar with Chrisler Buliding's view!
When we'll return in NY we'll be here again for sure!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at Pod 51 for 4 nights in a bunk pod. Yes we're a couple, yes we deliberately booked a bunk pod. New York was not the only destination of our trip so to keep costs down we decided we could cope with sleeping in bunk beds for 4 nights. If I'm honest, best decision we made! The beds were really comfy and twin size so we slept very well! We were on the 2nd floor at the back so the room was fairly quiet. Room was bigger than I thought after reading some reviews, there was enough space for both our cases and the sink in the room was small but useful.

There were 4 shared bathrooms on the floor, 2 toilet/shower, 1 just toilet and 1 just shower. We found that bathroom 1 had more floor space but the shower in bathroom 2 was taller so better for my other half. The bathrooms were always clean and there was always hot water. The panel above the door in the bedroom was great so we didn't have to hang around in the corridor. There was only 1 morning were we had to wait to get to the bathroom but other than that we had no problems with availability.

Pop at Pod, the attached bar/restaurant served great food and had a great atmosphere. We ended up here every night after spending the day walking round the city. I had a cocktail called the dirty flower that was great! The barmaid (whose name I never got) was lovely and really friendly. There must have been a organised event the one night because it was very busy but this only added to the atmosphere.

Location wise, the pod was close to most of the main tourist attractions (Top of the Rock and 5th Ave were about a 15min walk. Times Square and the Empire State building about 20mins). We walked everywhere and found that once we got to know where things were it really wasn't that far. There are plenty of good restaurants close by.

In summary, we would definitely stay here again!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple