“If Apple married IKEA, this would be their baby!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

You added Pod 51 Hotel to your Saves list
Pod 51 Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230 East 51st Street, New York City, NY 10022 (Manhattan)   |
Special Offer
POD Free Walking Tours
Ranked #224 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“If Apple married IKEA, this would be their baby!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Very hip, laid back, high tech (iPads on the walls for you to use and a 40" interactive map) WiFi throughout the hotel and my experience was great reception (room 201). Yes, very small rooms but if you are okay with that (which I was) they are very comfortable and cozy. Beds are great, sink in your room, bathrooms (I shared and there is 4 on each floor and impeccably clean ) were NEVER an issue, in fact I never encountered anyone in the hallways and the hotel was booked. I had the 1 bed and everything I needed was within reach (seriously) and kinda nice. I was here for 4 days (alone) and there was plenty of room and nooks/crannies for my stuff. I felt safe the entire time, sat in the lobby with drinks, and worked. Very convenient to everywhere via the Greenline and nice little pubs/bars/restaurants within 1/4 block. I would totally return here and for sure check out Pod 39 (?) next time as thats a cool NYC location as well.

Room Tip: I might choose a bunk next time for a little more room, but for 1 person who is okay with a small sp...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

After looking around, this was the cheapest hostel that we could find in the area, so we weren't expecting much. However, when we arrived, the porter took our bags up to the room, check in was easy and the room was beautiful - very clean, neat, and although not huge, it was bigger than I was expecting!
The bathrooms are excellent, and there is a little light in your room that informs you of which bathrooms are free. They are very clean, and self contained, and I never found myself having to wait for one!
The staff were very friendly and very helpful, especially when it came to sorting out transport to the airport.
The location is amazing - Times Square and Central Park are both an easy walk away, and there are loads of places dotted around to eat at - we had dinner at a particularly lovely gastro pub at the end of the street that I would recommend!
All in all, this was a very lovely hostel that I would stay at again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I always stay at the pod, it is clean, staff is lovely and it is a very good value for money if you consider the hotels in New York City.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I spent 3 nights in Sept./Oct. at The Pod Hotel on 51st in a double with bath for single use, and was extremely satisfied with my second stay at this budget hotel. As I mentioned in my first review, the hotel is very well located for subways, restaurants, and some sites, and the hotel staff (including a very helpful concierge) and common areas (lobby area with wall-mounted i-pads and snack bar, roof deck, and courtyard) provide the ingredients for a wonderful stay in this magnificent city.

I had reserved a single with private bath and was upgraded to a double with private bath. I greatly appreciated the extra bed space! In some ways, though, I thought this room a little less well laid-out than the single en suite room I occupied last year. In particular, the toilet was rather poorly positioned and would, I think, be uncomfortable for a large person. Otherwise, it was comfortable and efficiently arranged, and it met my needs exceedingly well.

I will definitely return to The Pod when I next visit New York City!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Myself and my boyfriend shared a double ensuite room on our recent stay in new york (I think this may be a queen room). We stayed for 5 nights. This was a great place to stay. Be prepared for a SMALL (but adequate) room! We did our research and were aware that it would be small so were not surprised on our arrival. The price we paid for this hotel was great compared to many others and we didn't plan on spending much time in our room anyway.
We had a small ensuite in our too . This had a rainhead shower which was nice after a day walking around the sights of NYC! As others have mentioned the toilet and shower is only separate to the room by a glass partition so only book an ensuite if you are very comfortable with the person you are sharing with!
The room had air conditioning which kept it at a reasonable temperature. The room was also spotlessly clean and the cleaners came every day and changed towels.
We were on the 14th floor and experienced no noise within the hotel however, being in manhattan it was noisy outside so earplugs can be useful!
Reception has iPads which anyone can use for free and a place where you can get a limited (but yummy) selection of snacks and drinks. There is also a roof terrace which is worth going up to laze around on.
The hotel was perfectly located with lots of visitor attractions within an easy stroll.
If you are prepared for the small rooms and don't want to pay a fortune for clean, central and friendly manhattan accommodation I think this place is a great option and I will certainly return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pod 51 Hotel? Share your experiences!