“Great place” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #375 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Great place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Please remeber that this is a budget hotel= small room no fridge no room service no view and a noisy room (not that we mind it, but might effedt light sleepers).
But what you get with this hotel is an excellent price with a great bed and the best part is location.
Close to 24/7 drugstore, bars, coffee shops and all the great locations of mid town manhattan.

Totally recommneded, especially for the $$$ you save.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Hockessin, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had a confirmed reservation at the Hotel @ Times Square, but no room available when we arrived. They sent us to the Park Savoy (via gypsy cab) and we were appalled by our experience. There is no lobby, just a clerk seated below a counter. The room had no curtains, no pictures on the walls. It was dark, the TV didn't work, the electrical outlet didn't work, the toilet seat was broken, the mattress was so hard it crunched when you moved. We didn't even try to use the shower. A truly horrible experience.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

The Park Savoy is a small hotel near Central Park in Manhattan. It is near the subway and is a very quiet area. The hotel has eight floors with about ten rooms per floor. My room faced the front of the hotel. It was a big room with a very nice television (which I didn't really watch very often) with a small bathroom which had enough room for you to move around. The sink was in a bad area--it was hard to wash your face--you felt cramped. There were very few outlets available in the room for hairdryers and charging up your electronic devices. The bathroom, itself, had no outlets available. To use a hairdryer, you had to leave your driver's license as collateral--then pick it up when you returned the hairdryer. For breakfast, you were given a voucher which you used next door to get a bagel or muffin and coffee or hot tea. The price was $135 per night--which in Manhattan was a very good deal!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Park Savoy and what we loved most was the location (2 blocks from Columbus Circle and easy walk to Central Park and Theater District) and the cost ($120 + tax per night). We got what we paid for, at least for mid-town Manhattan. It was clean, convenient and "good enough." Like others, we were aware of construction sounds next door, but we're early risers, so it wasn't a problem having loud noises beginning at 6:30am. We never returned to our room until after dinner, and by that time all was quiet. Our room on the 7th floor was small and the bathroom was tiny, but the carpet was clean and the bathroom tiles looked new. We had to ask for a second wash cloth and hand towel. The pillows were awful and had to be balled up because they were so thin. The electric socket next to my side of the bed didn't work. The handles and shower head were put on backwards so it took a few minutes to figure out how to get the water on and at the right temperature. The funkiest aspect though was having to leave a picture ID/driver's license at the front desk in order to borrow the hair dryer! The service was OK but depended on who was on duty, and was often disinterested and nonchalent. If there was free breakfast, no one ever told us, but there are several great breakfast diners and tea shops within 2 blocks of the hotel. I'd go there again for one or two nights because of the location and value, but not for an extended stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New Albany, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

My friends and I are first year teachers and on a budget... This hotel fit into our budget and we soon found out why... The location couldn't be better, but construction started next door at 6am! We had some issues with the outlets in our room and zero water pressure in the shower. I will give the staff credit, when they were asked to do something or get something they were on it, but don't expect them to go out of their way to make you feel welcome or even tell about the free breakfast next door... I can't say that I didn't feel safe there which was nice... All in all its an average hotel....better than average for a budget hotel.

Stayed March 2013
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This place really is only a block south of Central Park. I agree with most of the other reviews--rooms are small, bathroom tiny, lobby non-existent, but for the price and location it is okay.
I will also warn you to ask for a room on an upper floor. The construction next door begins at 7 a.m. Believe me, I know. Hammers, power tools, clanging and thumping make for a surprise awakening.
The staff is not overly helpful. We made our reservations a month ahead of a relative. She got a room twice the size of our room, three windows, overlooking the street, with a minifridge. A larger, nicer room. When I asked how this might have happened, the clerk told me, "I don't know."
The room we had is so small, my wife and I had to take turns getting ready for the day because it is impossible for two people to move back and forth from bathroom to closet, etc.
The "continental breakfast" is indeed only one bagel and one 6 oz cup of coffee. But that is better than no breakfast.
I gave up on getting hot water the last day we were there after leaving the hot handle on for 10 minutes and only tepid water flowing. The bathroom is so small, I kept knocking the toilet paper roll off the wall while in there for any reason.
But, in spite of all that, I would stay there again because of the price and because the location close to so many things.
One hope I have for future guests. I hope you do not get the young desk clerk. I stopped to ask him a question or two and he continued to slouch back in his chair, seemingly disinterested.. When I told him our toilet was slow flushing, he just shrugged and said, "Maybe you should hold the handle down longer." When we left, I asked for a receipt upon departure, he said, "You got it when you checked in." In other words, "It is too much trouble to wait on you." It is clear that for him it is just a job to wait on guests, not an opportunity.
However... we had friends that stayed at a hotel 10 blocks away and the rate they paid for two nights was the same total we paid for three. So, if you are looking for a clean room at a good rate, don't mind tepid water and a small room, this is a good bet.

Room Tip: Ask for room 804---the one they gave my relative--bigger, has minifridge, three windows.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Voorhees, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We picked this hotel for the location and price. The price was about half of the cost of hotel across the street. So I gave it a very good based on price, mostly. Otherwise it would have not gotten a very good rating. Read below for you book there.

The rooms are small and the bathroom tiny. Since we were only staying one night. We arrived late afternoon and the toilet would not flush. I called downstairs and someone came right up to fix it. No real issue, things happen. The room was dated, but clean.

The bed and pillow were cover in plastic and the dressed with sheets and pillow cases. This was not the most comfortable night sleep I have ever had.

I had issues with the shower and getting hot water. I turned the knob every which way I knew but still only got cold water. My hubby was able to figure it out, so I didn't have to take a cold shower.

All in all, for one cheap night in upper midtown it was worth it. Not sure I would stay there for a week or so.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Park Savoy? Share your experiences!