“Nothing more disgusting than this! Run for your life!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of New York Inn

You added New York Inn to your Saves list
New York Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   765 8th Avenue, Between 46th & 47th St, New York City, NY 10036 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #425 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Nothing more disgusting than this! Run for your life!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I was in NY July/August 2013. I checked this hotel's website and it seemed legit, didn't find any negative comments about it so I booked a few nights. Before I even walked into this place I started getting suspicious and when I opened the door it was so stuffy and smelled disgusting. I paid a room cause I had huge suitcases with me and needed to put them down and it was close to midnight. When I got to the room I nearly died, the door couldnt' lock properly, the sheets look old and dirty and smelt gross, the carpet has major stains, the walls have cracks, moulds and unfinished. The stairs are creaky and steep, sounded like it was going to break. After 30 minutes I left the hotel and decided to go for a walk to look for another hotel and Thank God I found one less than 20 steps away so i dragged my suitcases to the new hotel.

The location is prime, a block away from Times Square but this hotel should be demolished, no one should have to stay in those kind of standards. The guys on reception were very helpful just a shame their hotel was the total opposite.

Room Tip: Do not waste your time with this hotel not even if your desperate.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed here with my husband early last year. It was absolutely awful! And it was the most expensive stay in our American holiday. Everything is old and dirty looking. The stairs were creaky and steep. The room was tiny, the sheets looked old, we were a little uneasy about sleeping in the bed. The bathroom is also tiny, when my husband was sitting on the toilet his knees were touching the door!. The hotel overall was stuffy and smelling of subway (because it's next door). We stayed here only because it was a 5-10min walk to time square.
Honestly don't stay here. It really put a damper on our time in New York. We would definite pay more to stay somewhere better, even if it were further out.
Oh and since our time there, we still can't eat subway because the smell of it puts us off !!! Lol.

Room Tip: Tip...don't stay here.
Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
wimbledon, uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

ok, you know you are not off to a good start when the building you are about to sleep in has been deemed unsafe for habitation by the city of new york but based on the pictures on the website I tried to keep an open mind. after stepping around a drunk on the stairs at the entrance my optimism was being tested and then on arriving to the front desk to see everything covered in an inch of dust was not helping me keep the faith! the negotiation of the stairs was not helped by having tile and flooring samples spread all over them (and they are tiny & steep) and again an inch of dust from bottom to top. the room was absolutely nothing like the pictures on the website and although the TV surprisingly worked - no remote! air con hopeless and the shower took a good 10 minutes for hot water to flow through. I did however have a fridge and there were towels and loo paper. Breakfast - don't bother and if you do be careful not to electrocute yourself on the toaster. And there is no subway or papa johns on site - both buildings shut down and boarded up. optimism well and truly defeated on this one!! pay extra for a hotel or share a bathroom at a decent hostel and you'll be happier!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Jakarta, Indonesia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have never sayed anywhere so awful - and they charged US$ 195 for it.

The entrance is up some steep stairs (all cracked and broken). The narrow passageway has 'reception' in it - in fact a counter with one person in total chaos. The carpet is disgusting and dirty, the walls look as if someone started to decorate but gave up.

There is no lift - i had heavy luggage and was on the third floor - a long walk up. The carpets got worse and worse. With some reluctance the man in reception helped me carry my large bag.

I was shown into a tiny room. Dreadful furnishing - what I would imagine a doss house to be. The bed had no pillows and there were no towels. These were brought after about 15 minutes.

The 'bathroom' was minute and the shower had no hot water and didn't drain.

The room was disgustingly dirty.

i had come from the UK and my flight was delayed and by the time I had landed it was too late to go to a friend's house so I booked it on the internet through Agoda. Had it not been 1 am I would have moved straight out. As it was I stayed an uncomfortable night and moved out as soon as i could the following day.

Agoda were good enough to arrange a refund for me.

This place should be shut down immediately as being unfit for human occupation. Even if they charged $5 a night i wouldn't stay there.

Its a total disgrace and daylight robbery.

Room Tip: Find another hotel. Do not say here EVER.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Surfers Paradise, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Can't believe that it is still open and allowed to do business with humans. The most dirties and run down hole to be called a hotel. NY council did close one room down previously as it was unfit for humans. They should have closed the whole place down. Rooms have never seen a vacumm cleaner in years! Aboslute disgrace! Even more shocking is all the online booking agents who probably has no idea nor care as they are just all about the money, to still have this hole on their websites! None of them will take responsibility once you paid and then when you arrive realise that even pigs won't live there! They all shift the responsibility!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Phoenix, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel yesterday on their website for a place to change clothes and freshen up for an evening show at Radio City Music Hall. I pre-paid $180 on their website and taxied to the property. Upon arrival I found signs on the door by the NYFD/City of NY deeming the building UNSAFE and ordering people to VACATE the building immediately. I asked front desk for a refund and told them i would NOT be checking in. Needless to say they were unhelpful (they gave me an 800 number to call). I immediately booked another room, but was saddened to see a young couple outside on the phone and the young girl was crying to her family about the condition of this hotel. I took pics of the signs on the door and the outside of the hotel. DO NOT BOOK HERE! I will do my best to contact any and all hotel booking sites that list this property..(expedia, Hotels.com...etc)

Stayed July 2013
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Before booking this hotel, I read lots of reviews, many were negative, but because it's very , very surrounded with all you want to see in NY, we booked it.
The hotel is a humble place, we were treated with respect. The room was small, but hey, you go there only to sleep, it was clean, has a nice flat screen tv, wifi and great working AC. Loved the place and will book there again any time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to New York Inn? Share your experiences!