“great location, comfortable beds, great breakfast” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St

You added Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   440 West 57th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #334 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Cork
“great location, comfortable beds, great breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed here early December for 5 nights with 2 children aged 11 and 9. I did hear noise such as toilets being flushed etc from the other rooms but that was about it. We were on the 16th floor and the view was beautiful from our hotel room Our room was a bit dated but the tv with lots of channels was great and the double beds and pillows were very comfortable.

The breakfast in the restaurant was lovely and the children were free which was great. We ate lunch one of the days also which was very nice. The hostess didn't seem to enthusiastic when greeting us and showing us to our table each morning.

There is a very nice little gift shop and the ladies working there were very nice. Reception staff were also not very enthusiastic or happy looking i thought. One of the receptionists when i asked him to make a call to confirm our pre booked transfer back to the airport said he would do it later as he had people to check in which i thought was rather rude. I then went to the concierge who informed me that he would telephone for me but it would require a tip. he also gave me incorrect directions to different places twice and continuously tried to sell me theater tickets that i hadn't asked about. There was always a big queue at the concierge desk and at one point a half an hour wait.

I did find a lot of the reception staff very unhelpful. It was raining very heavily on one of the days and i asked one of the receptionists would she have any kids board games or something for my two children to do and she laughed at me and said "no we have nothing like that" and walked off. Another time i asked a different receptionist for a bottle of water as i could see the other receptionists giving them to guests and she said to me that if i wanted water i could drink the water from the tap in the room.

We still had a great holiday in new york but i dont know if i would stay here again. I was a bit nervous travelling on my own with 2 children and i chose this hotel because its well known. I did feel safe in the hotel but i didnt find some of the staff very warm or helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on either the 16 th or 18th floor as these have the best view and are quieter. you w...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear tkeatingCork,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. It is delightful to know that you enjoyed the view from our property and the breakfast served met your expectations. However, please accept my apologies if the level of service received was less than satisfactory. We will forward your comments to the appropriate departments to consider for improvements needed.

We hope you can give us another chance to host you again in the future.

Regards,

Pam G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I have stayed in far superior hotels in the centre of London for a hell of a lot less than I paid for this one, but lets face it even the most average New York hotels seem to be overly expensive.

We decided to get the Air Train and LIRR from JFK to Penn Station and thought we would get a taxi from Penn to the hotel. FORGET IT, we waited in a queue for 40 minutes in the freezing cold and the dispatcher did not manage to get one single taxi in that time. So we went ventured back into Penn to get the subway up to Columbus Circle. This was an adventure to say the least, but we did make it. It is only a 5 minute walk from Columbus to the hotel.

Thankfully, check in was no problem and the staff appeared friendly and helpful. As we were meeting friends there we dumped the luggage in the room (17th floor) and made straight for the bar. The bar was busy and had a good atmosphere, drinks were expensive but we sort of expected that anyway. As we were leaving, the bar tender called us back and gave us a round of shots on the house. Nice touch!

When we made it back to the room much later, it was obviously old and a bit tired around the edges but was clean and tidy. We were right opposite the lift and one of the infamous ice machines. Didnt seem to notice any noise from the lift, but the constant 'plonk' of ice falling in the ice machine was like some form of medieval water torture. However, strangley enough after the first night it didnt seem to bother me too much. There were noisy people geting back late, but you get that pretty much everywhere.

Location of the hotel is pretty good for most things, but you will need to get the subway or a taxi if you are going down to Statue of Liberty or Ground Zero.

We didnt eat there, so I cant comment on the restaurant or food quality

Would I stay there again? Yes I probably would

Room Tip: Ice machines are very noisy, avoid rooms by them if you can
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MikeandSonia,

It is nice to receive feedback from our valued guests like you. I am glad that you had a pleasant experience at check-in and our staff was accommodating to your needs. I regret if you found our rooms to be dated. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your comments will help us improve on what we can offer.

We hope you choose us again for your lodging needs should your travels bring you back to the area.

Regards,

Pam G
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Having read the reviews I knew that we were not picking a luxurious hotel even though we were spending about $300 a night, including taxes. I looked at vacation rentals by owner but came to the conclusion that I needed the peace of mind a hotel chain would bring. Pros were that check in was quick and easy, the location was excellent for exploring the city, the cost was reasonable considering we were in Midtown, we were in close proximity to restaurants, Times Square and Central Park, the staff was friendly, parking was on site at a discounted rate, the beds were comfortable, and the subway was nearby (Columbus Circle is on 59th). Cons were that the elevators were very, very slow, (stairs were not an option to get to the ground floor- we tried!) only 3 towels were left in our room even though we booked 4 guests, the sprinkler head in the bathroom was rusted and looked as though it needed to be cleaned or replaced, and the water temperature was difficult to maintain in our shower, (it was inconsistent). After spending 15 minutes attempting to get an elevator on a Sunday morning we finally made it to the lobby. The front desk did give us extra time for check out which we appreciated.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Melaney68,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We are delighted about your positive comments with our convenient location and the service you received from our staff. It is always our goal to provide the best possible guest experiences and on this occasion we apologize we did not exceed your expectations with our facilities. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Thank you again for your review and hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen C
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

A very tired room yet staff are extremely helpful. AC too high and unable to adjust. Bathrooms grubby, not due to lack of hygiene but again, decoration. Needs refurbishment throughout. Maid service excellent and always willing to give extra coffee and towels!

Room Tip: High room. South tower so there ate great views down Manhattan island. Breakfast room v awful.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear mumswallet,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. Our staff always goes out of their way to be helpful and attentive to the guests and we are glad that you enjoyed their hospitality. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been due to the room condition. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Karen C
Syd
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Prior to arriving, I was a little apprehensive having read a number of poor reviews as our stay in NYC was the longest leg of our US tourer on Australia. We are a family of 5 (10 nights stay in total x 2 rooms), hence we had a sizeable investment, particularly as our prior 5 star accommodation in LA, Florida, and Washington leading up to NYC was first class at a fraction of the cost. I forewarned the family not to expect what we had been accustomed elsewhere in the US on this holiday/vacation.
Upon checking in, there was no shortage of staff dealing with complaints which didn't auger well, and I'm sad to say I saw the worst of one of my fellow countryman lose her cool.
The checking staff were extremely helpful in accommodating us with two adjoining rooms and a rollaway in one room. I really felt the lady went to some trouble to arrange the best configuration for us and phase us several options. We opted for a king bed in the parents room, and two doubles and the rollaway in the other. They weren't interconnected, but this was fine as our children are teenagers and it was no problem to organise as many cards (keys) as we wanted for each of the rooms -in fact we enjoyed the separation!
The location is good and the free wifi is sensational given the 3 teenagers with us, but thankfully we were located away from the lift bank (and ice machine) which was the cause of many noise complaints. It is a noisy hotel, but In part, that is New York, but also, some of the guests should learn some manners and not yell down the hallways. We have a renovated room with room safe which is always handy. The decor ain't my style, but I'm only sleeping here, not moving in permanently.
We will be here until after New Year, but the simple facts are that NYC is a very, very expensive city at this time of the year and it is a little "rough around the edges" - if you want genuine 4 or 5 star hotel, you will have to go elsewhere, but you really will have to pay for it in this town!
We haven't left the hotel as yet, but "touch wood", the remaining 7 days will be as good as the first 3 days.
I understand for many international travellers they have high expectations on an expensive holiday, but I would also suggest they do their research on what a genuine 4/5 star hotel would cost - initial quotes from my travel agent were up to US$10,000 more for the two rooms over 10 nights at a only a slightly better standard of accommodation, and $10,000 in your pocket can buy a lot of special Xmas gifts which we opened and enjoyed today. I guess Mr Tiffany & Mt Gucci got more of my money than Mr Marriott or Mr Hilton, and that was a far better way to have spent our hard earned money than where to put your head at night. We had pre-booked a special Christmas lunch at the The Palace Hotel, so we got to experience the high life, albeit without sleeping there!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Been there a few times and would go back. Great location, everything nearby. Staff is very helpful and friendly. Born and raised in NYC, altho have not lived there for a while, I would go back to this Holiday Inn without question.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Wales , Uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I was very anxious about this hotel after reading the negative reviews on line and having booked it for a party and not just myself but have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Arrived and check in was fast and staff were polite. I believe I stayed in the tower which hasn't been renovated but although the room was dated it was large, clean and comfortable. I liked the sink area being separate from the shower/toilet (never seen this before in a hotel). It was cleaned everyday and I have no complaints what so ever there. I was near the vending machine and lifts but never heard any noise from them , however in the morning could hear other people flushing their toilets but this wasn't a problem. The lifts were small but its not the end of the world and I stayed at one of the busiest times of the year and never experienced having to wait for a lift, managed to get in one straight away every time. Free WFI was good so I could check in back home. The only complaint I would have about the room is that there was no safe to lock away my valuables and I had to leave them in the room hidden in my suitcase.

Can't comment on the food as I never ate there, used the bar on a few occasions and normal hotel prices, staff there were very pleasant, friendly and helpful. When leaving our taxi didn't turn up and the hotel staff got us another one within minutes.

The location of the hotel was good. Roughly about 10 minute walk to Times Square and Broadway , round the corner from Central Park and 5th Avenue.

All in all nice hotel in a good location and I would stay again.

Room Tip: I stayed on 14th floor and could still hear traffic a bit so would definitely ask for higher floor
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St? Share your experiences!