I have stayed in far superior hotels in the centre of London for a hell of a lot less than I paid for this one, but lets face it even the most average New York hotels seem to be overly expensive.
We decided to get the Air Train and LIRR from JFK to Penn Station and thought we would get a taxi from Penn to the hotel. FORGET IT, we waited in a queue for 40 minutes in the freezing cold and the dispatcher did not manage to get one single taxi in that time. So we went ventured back into Penn to get the subway up to Columbus Circle. This was an adventure to say the least, but we did make it. It is only a 5 minute walk from Columbus to the hotel.
Thankfully, check in was no problem and the staff appeared friendly and helpful. As we were meeting friends there we dumped the luggage in the room (17th floor) and made straight for the bar. The bar was busy and had a good atmosphere, drinks were expensive but we sort of expected that anyway. As we were leaving, the bar tender called us back and gave us a round of shots on the house. Nice touch!
When we made it back to the room much later, it was obviously old and a bit tired around the edges but was clean and tidy. We were right opposite the lift and one of the infamous ice machines. Didnt seem to notice any noise from the lift, but the constant 'plonk' of ice falling in the ice machine was like some form of medieval water torture. However, strangley enough after the first night it didnt seem to bother me too much. There were noisy people geting back late, but you get that pretty much everywhere.
Location of the hotel is pretty good for most things, but you will need to get the subway or a taxi if you are going down to Statue of Liberty or Ground Zero.
We didnt eat there, so I cant comment on the restaurant or food quality
Would I stay there again? Yes I probably would
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in a quiet residential neighborhood, The Holiday Inn Midtown 57th Street is conveniently located to famous New York attractions. Just three blocks from Central Park and Carnegie Hall with Lincoln Center nearby. Situated within the Theater District, a Broadway show is a moment away. Fabulous shopping at Tiffany's, Niketown, Fifth Avenue, and 57th Street boutiques. JFK Airport and LaGuardia Airport are only 45 minutes away from this Manhattan hotel location. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Agoda, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Midtown New York
- Holiday Inn New York City
- Holiday Inn Nyc
- Holiday Inn Times Square
- Holiday Inn Midtown 57th Street
- Holiday Inn Midtown Manhattan
- New York City Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Manhattan Midtown