“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   440 West 57th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #328 of 452 hotels in New York City
Syd
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Prior to arriving, I was a little apprehensive having read a number of poor reviews as our stay in NYC was the longest leg of our US tourer on Australia. We are a family of 5 (10 nights stay in total x 2 rooms), hence we had a sizeable investment, particularly as our prior 5 star accommodation in LA, Florida, and Washington leading up to NYC was first class at a fraction of the cost. I forewarned the family not to expect what we had been accustomed elsewhere in the US on this holiday/vacation.
Upon checking in, there was no shortage of staff dealing with complaints which didn't auger well, and I'm sad to say I saw the worst of one of my fellow countryman lose her cool.
The checking staff were extremely helpful in accommodating us with two adjoining rooms and a rollaway in one room. I really felt the lady went to some trouble to arrange the best configuration for us and phase us several options. We opted for a king bed in the parents room, and two doubles and the rollaway in the other. They weren't interconnected, but this was fine as our children are teenagers and it was no problem to organise as many cards (keys) as we wanted for each of the rooms -in fact we enjoyed the separation!
The location is good and the free wifi is sensational given the 3 teenagers with us, but thankfully we were located away from the lift bank (and ice machine) which was the cause of many noise complaints. It is a noisy hotel, but In part, that is New York, but also, some of the guests should learn some manners and not yell down the hallways. We have a renovated room with room safe which is always handy. The decor ain't my style, but I'm only sleeping here, not moving in permanently.
We will be here until after New Year, but the simple facts are that NYC is a very, very expensive city at this time of the year and it is a little "rough around the edges" - if you want genuine 4 or 5 star hotel, you will have to go elsewhere, but you really will have to pay for it in this town!
We haven't left the hotel as yet, but "touch wood", the remaining 7 days will be as good as the first 3 days.
I understand for many international travellers they have high expectations on an expensive holiday, but I would also suggest they do their research on what a genuine 4/5 star hotel would cost - initial quotes from my travel agent were up to US$10,000 more for the two rooms over 10 nights at a only a slightly better standard of accommodation, and $10,000 in your pocket can buy a lot of special Xmas gifts which we opened and enjoyed today. I guess Mr Tiffany & Mt Gucci got more of my money than Mr Marriott or Mr Hilton, and that was a far better way to have spent our hard earned money than where to put your head at night. We had pre-booked a special Christmas lunch at the The Palace Hotel, so we got to experience the high life, albeit without sleeping there!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

2,364 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Been there a few times and would go back. Great location, everything nearby. Staff is very helpful and friendly. Born and raised in NYC, altho have not lived there for a while, I would go back to this Holiday Inn without question.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Wales , Uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I was very anxious about this hotel after reading the negative reviews on line and having booked it for a party and not just myself but have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Arrived and check in was fast and staff were polite. I believe I stayed in the tower which hasn't been renovated but although the room was dated it was large, clean and comfortable. I liked the sink area being separate from the shower/toilet (never seen this before in a hotel). It was cleaned everyday and I have no complaints what so ever there. I was near the vending machine and lifts but never heard any noise from them , however in the morning could hear other people flushing their toilets but this wasn't a problem. The lifts were small but its not the end of the world and I stayed at one of the busiest times of the year and never experienced having to wait for a lift, managed to get in one straight away every time. Free WFI was good so I could check in back home. The only complaint I would have about the room is that there was no safe to lock away my valuables and I had to leave them in the room hidden in my suitcase.

Can't comment on the food as I never ate there, used the bar on a few occasions and normal hotel prices, staff there were very pleasant, friendly and helpful. When leaving our taxi didn't turn up and the hotel staff got us another one within minutes.

The location of the hotel was good. Roughly about 10 minute walk to Times Square and Broadway , round the corner from Central Park and 5th Avenue.

All in all nice hotel in a good location and I would stay again.

Room Tip: I stayed on 14th floor and could still hear traffic a bit so would definitely ask for higher floor
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Colts Neck, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Ok so I went to NYC for the day to meet my two sisters in the city and they said they were staying here. Just from a visitors point of view..the public bathrooms were not so clean (garbage was overflowing) and outside of their room was dirty room service dishes....for HOURS even when we returned!! The cleaning people were in the hallways too! Oh and my sister's SHOWER didn't work and when she addressed it with the front desk they blew it off. Whoa. Not good. They got a cheap rate of $169/night, but NO SHOWER??!! Unacceptable!! People spend their hard earned money to come to patronize your hotel and you don't do anything to make good on their stay? Terrible. Oh and it's privately owned--Holiday Inn has nothing to do with this property, although I will put in a call to them just to let them know. Oh and the ad on the website claimed they were CLOSE to Times Square...yeah if you take a CAB!! 57th is not that close to 44th and Broadway if you are traveling with older folks.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Emjay24,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I’m sorry your sister received service and quality which was unacceptable. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bethany, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

This was a great hotel, very reasonable price and great location. The room was very large for a new york hotel and clean. WIFI was free and a large pool awesome. The staff was extremely warm and helpful. It was too warm for me but I run hot I kept the window open and it solved the problem.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Schroon Lake, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. the room across from ours had some sort of party going on and all were very loud. screaming and singing in the hall and doors slamming nonstop. called security and they took care of the problem immediately. do not have any complaints with this hotel. very good location. will stay there again.

lancs u.k
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

my daughter and i stayed here for 4 nights, i had requested a room with 2 double beds which i got as requested. the room was large and clean with pristine white linen, maid service very good. the room was a bit too hot but the window was slightly open ( we couldnt close it) but we were on the 8th floor so didnt hear road noise. on the last night the heating wasnt working , possibly due to problems as steam was coming out of a vent outside the hotel and the fire brigade were in attendance, this hotel was close to times square and central park. couldnt comment on the food or bar as we ate out, lots of good local eateries close by. would happily stay here again

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St? Share your experiences!