I really wished this hotel stay was a continuation of my positive experiences with Holiday Inn in other cities and regions along the East and West Coast.
But, I was majorly let down and often annoyed by the disrespect the staff showed over the phone call and upon entering their premise.
1. Location : mediocre, but definitely close to Central Park Corner. No pleasant amenities around other than Starbucks that are closed after 9pm.
Other than 2 lines of 57th street buses, there is no immediate access to subway stops nearby. This is one or two steps away from the major attractions if you intend to walk to Times Square it will take 20+ minutes. but, at this rate average $220 per night, I expected this inconvenience.
2. Booking agent on the phone, Tracy, was arrogant, and didn't communicate well for my inquiries prior to the reservation.
3. When we arrived in the evening, the reception desk didn't welcome us, simply chatting with the bell boys, who equally did not pay attention to us at that time or throughout the stay. For example, they shove their luggage cart into the elevators before the customers. I guess that shows what they think about the hotel guests.
4. Although the room was held for our late check-in, the mold and bacteria odor and steam strongly built in the air made us getting sick. We had to spend another hour to find another room, that matched their guarantee of the location and the cleanliness by the reservation manager, Wendy. We felt that entire booking calls in the past hours with Wendy, while driving down to NYC appeared to be a total waste of time.
5. The condition of the hotel was shabby, although they applied the new wallpapers and new coat of paints on the doors, in the updated areas, the execution was really poor, and I did not see if this update would stretch for another several years. They look really poorly done. What a waste of money. Unless the hotel staff did it amateurishly.
When I mentioned this poor decor and the worse room-keeping, the receptionist said, "this is not Holiday Inn Express, this is Holiday Inn." So, I assume we should embrace the disappointment. How about my positive experiences with other Holiday Inns before? She surely disrespected other hardworking HI workers, with a sad self-depreciating manner.
6. I have stayed in both Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express. And, still the standard of poor training and low respect of the guests of this location made us feel worse than our disappointment in the below-average decor or shabby conditions throughout the building.
7. I suggested building layouts be posted in their website to make us understand and have a choice, if can, of newer South Wing or Older 57th street, or garage roof-looking courtyard facing rooms or Street facing rooms.
8. Only after I complained all these above, the reception started to pay attention and start to listen and showed respect. The bell boys, not a tiny change in their standoff-ish attitude.
There are only a couple of staff stepping up at this moment, and even offer some free breakfast or something else, during check-out procedure. We took the free parking in their garage as a good gesture from them. But, I wished they didn't have to make up to us, by being nice and attentive from the beginning.
9. I suggest to the duty manager, Janet, the strong management, which will oversee and replace everything and everyone that is underperforming to damage their loyal customers' trust, and turn them around fast, and train staff to have autonomous leadership in their mind, or, to me, this will be a dying dinosaur, in the very competitive NYC.
10. For now, I wonder if I would book another Holiday Inn while in NYC from this experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in a quiet residential neighborhood, The Holiday Inn Midtown 57th Street is conveniently located to famous New York attractions. Just three blocks from Central Park and Carnegie Hall with Lincoln Center nearby. Situated within the Theater District, a Broadway show is a moment away. Fabulous shopping at Tiffany's, Niketown, Fifth Avenue, and 57th Street boutiques. JFK Airport and LaGuardia Airport are only 45 minutes away from this Manhattan hotel location. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, IHG, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Midtown New York
- Holiday Inn New York City
- Holiday Inn Nyc
- Holiday Inn Times Square
- Holiday Inn Midtown 57th Street
- Holiday Inn Midtown Manhattan
- New York City Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Manhattan Midtown