“Absolutely brilliant :)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St

You added Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   440 West 57th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #334 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Absolutely brilliant :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have been to New York twice and stayed here both times and will definitely be looking to stay again next year for my third visit.

The first year we went was just as the pool opened on the roof for the summer season and there was nothing better after a long day of tourist events than to go for a dip amongst the sky scrapers, great addition to the hotel!
On my first stay here we had a room that slept 3 across two GIANT beds. As a group of friends this didn't bother us at all as we were used to sharing beds on other trips! And the beds were so big you didn't even know someone else was in there!!

Rooms are very big, when speaking to other travellers in other hotels they explained their room was a biz with a bed, these rooms are so so big and comfy that they make the stay even better.

The second time I stayed here we had two rooms between five of us (not joined) however the first night our room had a very strong cigarette smoke smell (despite us asking for non smoking rooms) and a stag party opposite were incredibly loud. However after speaking to the front desk the following morning all of our party were moved to two joined rooms with interlocking door that we could open and it was more like a suite! The room was even bigger than the last time, beds were comfortable and huge yet again and the room smelt better. The front desk could not have done enough for us, they were helpful, apologetic and didn't make us feel bad for complaining.

Location. Is brilliant. Ten min walk to Times Square and Central Park, subway stations nearby, Brooklyn. Diner just up the road is amazing for breakfast defo go there!

Great service booking us cars to take us back to the airport - felt like a celeb the cars were so posh :) and at same price as a taxi it made the end of our holiday!

Last time I was there some parts were being refurbished but I never had any problems with any part of the hotel, even the bits that were tired and worn as it was obvious the management were in the process of updating.

Good little bar by the lobby with wifi too.

All in all I would 100% stay here again and hope to in April as I know I can guarantee a great stay

Room Tip: If you go last week of may/first week of June the pool opens for the summer and its lovely up there...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Gemma H

Thank you so very much for your wonderful review and we are extremely happy to know that you have stayed with us twice and we are extremely delighted to hear that your planning your third visit to NYC with us due to our service, accommodation and your overall stay experience. We appreciate the opportunity given to us in fixing any problem areas during your first visit and we genuinely appreciate your comments on how helpful and apologetic our staff is at the Holiday Inn Midtown. We genuinely are happy to know that you will 100% stay with us again. We look forward to your next stay.

Front Services Manager Jasmin Ortiz-Cruz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is my second stay in this hotel. It's location is extremely convenient and the price is right for a trip to NYC where EVERYTHING is a money pit...
Room was very clean.
Beds are comfy (however, sheets are a bit too bleached...smell permeates a wee bit), but better clean than not.
Our shower was adequate...however, there were plenty of towels as needed.
Hotel staff are friendly and accommodating (except for the women tending the bar....ouch....they are less than smiley)...concierge is highly knowledgeable and approachable.
The pool looks great, if you can get to it...it opens at 10 and closes at 6. Ridiculous hours.
The breakfast restaurant is pretty good if you prefer or need to eat before heading out...regular, "white bread" fare where kids under 12 eat for free...
Just a quick and fun walk to Hell's Kitchen for a great dinner and lots of action; a short jaunt to Times Square....great location. I will book here again.

Room Tip: apparently, one of the towers is being renovated....ask about that before booking.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear KelliHelpert

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience at the Holiday Inn Midtown. We are happy to know that this is your second stay with us and we genuinely appreciate your feedback. It's absolutely great to hear how the location is extremely convenient , the price and that our staff is recognized as friendly and accommodating. I sincerly apologize for the lessthan smiley bar tender at the lounge and I will notify the Food and Beverage Director for further improvement. I'm sorry about the pool hours not being longer than 6pm but I really do hope that you were able to at least enjoy the pool during your stay.

Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed in the hotel Jul 22-27 and from the beginning it was a great experience. I made three reservations, one with points, one with points and cash, and one with cash only, I phoned ahead to let the Front Desk know that the three reservations were actually for one stay. Robyn told me on the phone that she would watch out for them. Later in the same day I followed up by email, and Robyn replied that she had seen the reservations and had merged them as per my request.

A few days later I made a request for a renovated room that was quiet, city view was not as important. Again a followup by email was made by Whayner.

We had a problem with our airline arrival, due to LaGuardia closing due to an airliner mishap. I phoned the Hotel to inform them, and they told me "No Problem" we have the room blocked for you. Very calming to hear that in the middle of our airline crisis.

We arrived (finally) one day late, and we got checked in with a minimum of fuss. Off to our room, and it was everything we asked for, a corner room, newly renovated. In fact, there were some workmen in the hallway that had to move every time we needed to get past, and they were polite and friendly.

The location of the hotel is very nice, we were two-three blocks away from the SW? corner of Central Park and within a block or two of the subway stations. Last time I was in NYC, I stayed near Times Square, and this location was MUCH better.

The night before it came time to leave, I talked with the Front Desk and asked about the "No Show" policy due to our late arrival. The Night Manager gave me the contact info for the Accounting Office, and the I ended up talking with Magdalana? in accounting the next morning She put me on hold for 2 minutes ( I suppose to confer with someone else) and then informed me that the Hotel would be reversing the charges for the first night due to MY problem. They certainly didn't have to do that, and Holiday Inn has certainly earned a new level of loyalty from me and everyone I talk to. I'm a small businessman, and I know how often you hear complaints, but you don't hear good feedback as much.

THANK YOU HOLIDAY INN MIDTOWN!!!

Dear Brian G

Thank you for your review and taking the time to metion the details of your pleasant experience at the Holiday Inn Midtown. We are pleased to hear that the service provided by our staff made a Great impression and has earned your loyalty with our Holiday Inn brand/IHG hotel. It's always a pleasure to hear such positive feedback, Once again thank you for your time and comments.

stavanger
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Value for money- nice size on rooms - location was great. coffe and tea maker make me always happy .
Could agree on coments about the pool closes an hour or two too early . Close to Centra park and underground - but a nice 10 min walk to Thimes Square and Broadway .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear StavangerHanne

Thank you for your response and feedback. It's great to know you were able to enjoy the pool area and your comments regarding the pool hours will be shared. Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback. We hope to see you soon again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Nice hotel in a good location. really friendly and helpful staff. very clean and comfortable. At first I was worried that this hotel wouldnt be in the mix of things, as i always like to be right at the heart of all the action, however I was pleasantly suprised by this hotel. It was in a nice part of the city, and really central for a walk in the park, or a visit tio Times Square. You wont be disappointed staying here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Picnic76

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive review regarding your recent stay with us. The staff is extremely happy to know you had such a pleasant stay due to the service and hotel location overall. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Kaliua, HI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

OK- so I read the reviews and thought I was being strategic--I reserved our room ahead of time, asked for a renovated room, was a member of the Holiday Inn travel club, etc. etc. And yet, and yet--
Instead of writing a novel I'll keep this brief--
Driving: this is a very easy hotel to access, just off Henry Hudson. Easy in, easy out. We had a parking package which was very convenient.
The room: when we arrived it was pouring, in the middle of a heat wave...Our first room, in the South tower, did not appear to be renovated-DARK, DAMP but the AC was great. It The room also smelled like mildew and cigarette smoke. Since these are huge triggers to my allergies and asthma-- I needed to ask for a move.
All that was available at this time were rooms under the 8th floor in the North tower. Fine we took a brighter room facing the street. This was about it for amenities.
The AC never, ever got above tolerable-as in, the heat and humidity weren't terrible but we were never comfortable. The carpet near the TV, where we had our duffle parked, smelled like smelly sneakers--so moved it under the desk. The Wi-Fi only worked if we held our phones up and stood near the door. The bathroom was dark and strangely apportioned- you could not close the door unless you moved past the toilet-- but there was a strange amount of wasted space to the left of the toilet. The lighting was like something out of a bad movie-- dim and yellow. Won't even go into the rest of the details- although the toilet will remind you of a public facility.
Pros: The pool was a great highlight for our kids- and since it had been raining earlier- there was no one else there, which for the 4th weekend was pretty unusual. It is an all cash-bar, so be prepared.
All in all, the location was extremely convenient- we could walk to and fro from Lincoln Center. However, I will gladly exchange convenience for comfort and value,so next time around I will opt for the Marriott at Times Square.
I didn't even go into the elevator that we all went into--and got stuck in...and needed another hotel patron to pry open to help us get out...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear momsadreamer

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests. All details wiill be shared with all our staff and Executive office to improve all necessary areas, and again I genuinely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced and will take the appropriate steps to avoid a similar situation in the near future.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Sincerely

Front Services Manager, Jasmin Ortiz-Cruz
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Ok rooms small bathrooms. Ac worked well. The pool should have been open longer hours due to when we were out all day and came home at 8pm. Nice staff. We(4) stayed there in the end of july 2013. Lot of nice breakfast places round the corner. We used Morning Star actually on the north corner of 9.th avenue and 57.st

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jasmin O, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Trondnornann,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property. We are happy to hear you enjoyed some of the many restaurants in our area! I apologize that you found our bathrooms to be less than satisfactory, as well as the pool hours. Though our rooftop pool does close a bit early at 6pm, I hope you were still able to enjoy it at some point during your stay. Please know we are currently undergoing renovations in all of our rooms, and hope you will stay with us again in the near future so you can enjoy our fresh and new furnishings.

Tara Pizzi
Guest Service Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St? Share your experiences!