“Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St

You added Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   440 West 57th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #333 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Franklin, Tennessee
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was nice and clean. The bar and staff are sensational! Excellent location. Walking distance of Times Square and Columbus Circle. No complaints about this hotel at all. Metro Cafe is a couple blocks away! make sure you visit! The food is to die for! I will definitely stay here again when I visit New York.

• Stayed June 2013
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear mstatiemg

Thank you for your wonderful review it is so nice to here how sensational the bar and staff is and thank you for mentioning the cleanliness of the hotel.

We look forward to your next visit.

Jasmin Ortiz-Cruz Front Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Styed here June 2013. Got an excellent deal all through British airways. We had a double double room which was very spacious. Room was very tidy and clean. Bathroom clean and spacious. Closet space was good and enough room for all our cases.. We had six in total.

I found the staff lovely extremely helpful. They got us a lovely car back to JFK and the price was the same as a taxi.

We used room service and ate in the restaurant the food was fine, and very generous portions.

Location was good, very quiet.

CH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I’ve stayed at this hotel previously and gave it a very positive review. On my return visit things did not go as smoothly. When we checked into our room we discovered that the WIFI did not work, we called the front-desk and they told us we could change to another room with better WIFI.

However, because we had no WIFI I was not able to go online and purchase tickets for a Broadway Show. There is a concierge desk right at the entrance of the hotel, and I figured I would use their service and give a tip for the help, though I'm usually a self-service kind of guy. The concierge made a big deal about how the show we wanted was super hot and it was going to be tough, but he would do his best. He came back and offered us two choices $189 seats and $289 seats. Now worried that this was the only chance to get into the show of our choice I told him to proceed with the transaction.

About an hour later we were moved to a room with WIFI and I quickly checked the shows website and found that I could get nearly identical seats for $137. I quickly called the concierge to cancel my order and was told that my purchase was non-refundable. This was not mentioned previously. I called the hotel manager for assistance and was told they would take care of it. Next I got a call from the concierge to please come down and talk to him. I figured he was told to apologize and refund my money so I went down to speak with him. Once I went down he tells me that he had told me all along that the ticket price included a $50 broker fee. I told him this was impossible, because I'm not the type of customer that agrees to 40% broker fees. He continued to insist until I asked, "why am I down here, are you going to refund my money or not." He repeated that the purchase was non-refundable.

I went to the front desk and spoke to the manager and asked why the issue had not been resolved. He said that he thought he had resolved it and he would speak to the concierge again. When he returned he told me that he could get me back $20 of the $50 fee, but that that was the maximum refund allowable.

So you may be asking, "how is it that the hotel manager has no control over the concierge." The answer is that the concierge is not an employee of the hotel. It seems they are independent and just using space in the Holiday Inn lobby. I would have never done business with the concierge if I had known they were not part of the hotel. There is nothing that lets you know this, in fact the concierge desk is the first thing you see when you enter the hotel.

We purchased the rest of our tickets through tele-charge and got amazing seats at great prices. I would advise all guests to do the same. The hotel is still a good place to stay, but the experience with the concierge as well as the inability of management to protect guests from being ripped off inside their hotel has ruined this hotel for me.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Peterjac

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I will firstly like to thank you for choosing us again as your hotel preference and I sincerely apologize for your experience during your most recent stay. I regret your stay and experiences was not as pleasant this time around and genuinely apologize and regret to hear this dissatisfaction. The concierge is separately owned and primarily works on providing the best seats that the show may have available to offer such as 4 or more rows difference and center wise. If there was any type of misunderstanding I again will like to extend my sincere apologies. I will privately message you to gather further details and hope to resolve this matter as we do appreciate your business.

Phillip Island, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

They say that location is everything---well as far as this hotel is concerned, it is! Great location but very tired, old hotel that lacks any genuine feeling of hospitality. Bathrooms in huge need of upgrading, poor catering and poor service by reception staff would ensure we booked another hotel for a New York trip and there are plenty to choose from.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Ozshel

Thank you for writing your review it's wonderful to know that the location was Great and I sincerely apologize that there seemed to be a lack of Service. I will send you a private message to be able to gather more details and I genuinely apologize for any inconvenience and truly appreciate your feedback.

Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one week and enjoyed an excellent location close to Fordham University city campus and New York Jazz Centre. Get a metro pass and Manhattan is your oyster! Make sure you take advantage of roof top pool for visitors too!

• Stayed July 2012
Dear ThriftyScot

Thank you for taking the time to write your review it is always a pleasure to hear how great the location is and great to know that you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to see you soon again.

Newcastle upon Tyne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We were in the North Tower, which was old and in need of renovation, but at least our room which faced across to the South Tower was lovely and quiet (except for some of the other guests on our floor). The room was adequate, the standard of house-keeping seemed to vary from not very good when we first arrived (the coffee bag from the previous guest was still in the coffee maker) to excellent by the time we left after 7 days. The staff that we came across were friendly and helpful and helped to make our stay pleasant. The best thing about this hotel was its location - not far from Columbus Circle, Central Park and a couple of underground stations, with shops and some reasonable eating places nearby.

Room Tip: Choose an inward facing room for quiet. Also try to get a room on a lower floor as it is very diffi...
Dear Micki M

Thank you for writing your review and thank you so much for mentioning the staff is friendly and helpful, we are very happy to hear that made your stay pleasant. I sincerely apologize for the coffee bag and will inform the Housekeeping Director as mentioned. The great news to share is that we are currently renovating and it includes new furniture, lamps, wallpaper, fixtures and we hope after the renovation is complete to see you soon again.

Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Very well located hotel.

The room was very clean and the bathroom fine.

The restaurant on site was well priced and provided a good selection for breakfast.

I was worried about the noise on the street given the location; but it was absolutely fine, I didn't hear a thing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Oriane Cambridge

Thank you for taking the time to write your review it is such a pleasure to hear you had a pleasant stay with us. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Midtown.

Sincerely
Jasmin Ortiz-Cruz Front Services Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St? Share your experiences!