I’ve stayed at this hotel previously and gave it a very positive review. On my return visit things did not go as smoothly. When we checked into our room we discovered that the WIFI did not work, we called the front-desk and they told us we could change to another room with better WIFI.
However, because we had no WIFI I was not able to go online and purchase tickets for a Broadway Show. There is a concierge desk right at the entrance of the hotel, and I figured I would use their service and give a tip for the help, though I'm usually a self-service kind of guy. The concierge made a big deal about how the show we wanted was super hot and it was going to be tough, but he would do his best. He came back and offered us two choices $189 seats and $289 seats. Now worried that this was the only chance to get into the show of our choice I told him to proceed with the transaction.
About an hour later we were moved to a room with WIFI and I quickly checked the shows website and found that I could get nearly identical seats for $137. I quickly called the concierge to cancel my order and was told that my purchase was non-refundable. This was not mentioned previously. I called the hotel manager for assistance and was told they would take care of it. Next I got a call from the concierge to please come down and talk to him. I figured he was told to apologize and refund my money so I went down to speak with him. Once I went down he tells me that he had told me all along that the ticket price included a $50 broker fee. I told him this was impossible, because I'm not the type of customer that agrees to 40% broker fees. He continued to insist until I asked, "why am I down here, are you going to refund my money or not." He repeated that the purchase was non-refundable.
I went to the front desk and spoke to the manager and asked why the issue had not been resolved. He said that he thought he had resolved it and he would speak to the concierge again. When he returned he told me that he could get me back $20 of the $50 fee, but that that was the maximum refund allowable.
So you may be asking, "how is it that the hotel manager has no control over the concierge." The answer is that the concierge is not an employee of the hotel. It seems they are independent and just using space in the Holiday Inn lobby. I would have never done business with the concierge if I had known they were not part of the hotel. There is nothing that lets you know this, in fact the concierge desk is the first thing you see when you enter the hotel.
We purchased the rest of our tickets through tele-charge and got amazing seats at great prices. I would advise all guests to do the same. The hotel is still a good place to stay, but the experience with the concierge as well as the inability of management to protect guests from being ripped off inside their hotel has ruined this hotel for me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in a quiet residential neighborhood, The Holiday Inn Midtown 57th Street is conveniently located to famous New York attractions. Just three blocks from Central Park and Carnegie Hall with Lincoln Center nearby. Situated within the Theater District, a Broadway show is a moment away. Fabulous shopping at Tiffany's, Niketown, Fifth Avenue, and 57th Street boutiques. JFK Airport and LaGuardia Airport are only 45 minutes away from this Manhattan hotel location. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Agoda, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Midtown New York
- Holiday Inn New York City
- Holiday Inn Nyc
- Holiday Inn Times Square
- Holiday Inn Midtown 57th Street
- Holiday Inn Midtown Manhattan
- New York City Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Manhattan Midtown