“Old, noisy and dumpy” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   440 West 57th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #326 of 451 hotels in New York City
“Old, noisy and dumpy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

I'm an IHG fan and have stayed at properties ranging from InterContinental to Holiday Inn Express---all very nice. So when Priceline assigned us to this HI property on NYC's West Side, I thought it would be okay. It's really a dump. Hasn't been updated in years (although renovations are allegedly coming) and beds are really small. Bathroom is bad. Better yet, they didn't tell us upon check-in that there would construction going on right outside our door every morning at 8. There is drilling going on right now, and I feel sorry for anyone trying to sleep. If I weren't checking out today, I'd be livid. Will never stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Amos74,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept my sincerest apology for the issues you had with your room accommodations and the experience you had with the noise which affected your stay negatively. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class experience. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

2,319 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed here with my Mum in Sept 2012. It was her 60th birthday present so the hotel had to be good, I didn't want it spoiling a trip of a life time, but I also didn't have the world to spend!
Went for the Holiday Inn although I was worried about the fact that some of the rooms had not bee refurbished and reports of mice!! However when we arrived all these fears vanished. Massive twin room with two kingsize beds, plenty of room to put all of our shopping.
Nice and quiet, didn't hear anything from any other room. We did eat breakfast here, however was a little strange, but that might have just been the difference between English & American! The only other thing, which again maybe a culture difference is just to have a kettle in the room instead of a coffee machine. We wanted to drink tea and had difficulty working out how to just get hot water!
Either way we had a fantastic stay one we will both remember for the rest of our lives.

Location wise, we walked pretty much everywhere so was a perfect location. Only about 10mins walk from Times Square, just take comfy shoes but you'll probably know that already!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Brick, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My daughter and I only spent one night ....and it was wonderful! Aldi, who took care of us at the Front Desk, was fantastic! He was knowledgeable, polite and so very nice! The room was very large for NYC standards and very clean. Be sure to ask for a room facing 56th St....very quiet! Only criticism was the bar. The Cosmo I ordered was probably one of the worst I've ever had. I should have brought to their attention instead of just leaving it. Overall...great visit!

• Stayed April 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed in the Hotel with my mum and my best friend. It was really nice and clean but the doubel bed for 2 was to small. A littel to noisy on the floor, but the rest of the stay was good. The service at the Bar was very good, thanks to Ben for the good drinks.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed 4 nights - 2 nights for business, extended by 2 nights for pleasure.
My stay was satisfactory for both purposes - got a good night's sleep every night - despite being on a low floor overlooking 57th, outside noise was not a problem.
Location was convenient for my meetings in Midtown and my tourist jaunts all over Manhattan.
Lobby looks dated but I think they've done the best they can with it. Lobby bar was decent, and the little shop was convenient.
The rooftop pool is a great amenity. I hadn't brought my trunks so I didn't swim, but I enjoyed sitting up there for a while with a book. This would be a great place to cool off on a hot summer day.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear GJM3,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst we are pleased with the good comment, We truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept our apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Jerusalem, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The hotel is spacious and comfortable and offers good value for the money.

We landed in New York early in the morning and asked if it would be possible to get into our room earlier than the usual 2:00 pm check-in hour. Even though the hotel was full, the people at the front desk made an effort to find us a room, and we were able to check in at 11:00 am, which was truly amazing. Throughout, the staff was extremely helpful and friendly.

The hotel's location is excellent - a stone's throw from Central Park, a few minutes' walk from Times Square, and yet tucked away in a relatively quiet and less-frequented pocket of midtown.

The proximity to the West Side Highway is a major advantage if your schedule includes meetings in the other NY boroughs.

The gym is quite good, and is available to guests at no extra charge. However, there is a shortage of aerobics equipment, and it might be a good idea for the hotel to invest in a couple of more treadmills.

This was the second time I stayed at this hotel, and I will probably use it again next time I am in NYC. I'd recommend it to anyone seeking comfort and good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room (away from the elevators).