“Family getaway” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   440 West 57th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #328 of 452 hotels in New York City
Perry Hall, Maryland, United States
“Family getaway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I did not have a good impression when first checked in. We had a very stuffy guy who did not seemed to listen to anything I was saying. We just wanted our rooms together or adjoining. They were not. I had put in the request ahead of time. He told me I would then have to wait. I said it was okay and took what he offered.; He then showed attitude! Rooms were clean but bathrooms needed updating. The positive side is the information desk people were amazing. Very helpful and friendly. A real pleasure.

• Stayed January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Kimberly H,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.

2,362 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Grand Cayman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I'll begin with the Pros then the Cons.
I stayed at the Holiday Inn for the weekend, as I was on a class trip. We arrived to the hotel at around 11, and the staff were very helpful in getting us all to our rooms as quickly as possible.
Considering this is a Holiday Inn, I was very pleased with the room. I shared with 1 girl and we had more than enough space, especially considering it is a New York Hotel. We had a flat screen TV and the beds were clean and comfortable. The bathroom was small, but it was to be expected for New York. There is also a shop downstairs that stays open until 12 (very convenient if you're like me and forget your toothpaste). The location of the hotel is great. There is a starbucks about a 3 minute walk away. It is 5 minutes from Central park and about 8 from Times Square.
The room was nice, however they do need alot of TLC.

The inside of the closet seemed to be falling apart, and the toilet would not flush when we arrived. We called the front desk and someone arrived within 15 minutes. The water in the shower was always hot, although pressure was a bit of an issue. I'd also say the walls are very thin which might affect you greatly if you're a light sleeper, but it wasn't that bad for me. I would ask for a room on a LOW floor. The elevator was slightly frightening for me, as it semeed it could stop at any moment and a classmate of mine actually said she was stuck in it for a few minutes one evening.

I can't speak of room rates as my school booked the trip however, all in all you come to NY for the city not the hotel. I would definitley come back and/or reccomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Lincolnshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I expect to feel welcome upon arrival and 1st impressions really count. The reception team just dont cut the mustard. The cleaning staff put them to shame: friendly...warm...go that extra mile to help....concierge staff-very helpful....the staff create the atmosphere and this needs addressing during revamp! Cold rooms luke warm water locked windows shabby bathrooms.....oh and back to the staff as I remember the abrupt blonde host dressed in scruffy attire ready to pounce on guests inbetween supping coffee and gossiping with another I presume member of staff....no uniform and yet not a manager....not very professional.
Location might be great but it'll take more than a fancy make-over to convince me this hotel can be great.....apologise all you like on the wall Im paying for this hotel NOW!

• Stayed January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear cyonce777,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to leave a review. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. We are very sorry to read that you experienced inconvenience because our staff did not meet your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

It's a Holiday Inn in Manhattan...this is not a four-star hotel. With that said, it was comfy and clean. Rooms show a little wear in places but, given how busy this place is, I'm surprised it looks as nice as it does. It's strange location, but it is close (walking distance) to Lincoln Center, Broadway, Times Square, Intrepid Museum and Carnegie Hall (to name a few places). Not alot of great restaurants nearby, although there is a fantastic place on 9th called Kashkaval. I was amazed at the friendliness of the staff. I was there with an elementary school choir and the staff was so nice and solicitous. If I was in Manhattan with kids, I would definitely consider staying there again. If I'm solo, I'll go someplace a little more hip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

My wife and me expend a whole week in NYC. We stay on the Holiday Inn Hotel, price was really good. The service is average, no good one at the wellcomming or so. The hotel is quite old really, any way we did not expend too much time at the hotel, we were all day in the street, the whole week.

Dear DenisG79,

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and providing us a candid feedback.

Joel B
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Very large comfy room 511 on 5th floor. Bed was massive and really comfortable. The hotel is on 57th and 9th so only a few blocks from Times Square. The bar was nice but not many seats. The swimming pool was closed as we wen't 8th -16th jan. the breakfast was good and really good value for 2 bacon, egg and cheese on toast, 2 coffee and 2 juice was about $35 compared to $60 at astro's.
We have stayed in the Wellington in the past and think this hotel is much better although a little further away. We had no problems with the heating and the window opened fine.
The reception staff were very polite and helpful and the bell man even sorted out our transport back to the airport.
The hotel has free wifi which worked ok. Really enjoyed my trip and would stay there again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

No real complaints about this property. The biggest plus was the free wifi, which is great! It was pretty close to everything (restaurants, fast food) and not far from the subway. It is about a 15 minute walk to Times Square, which doesn't sound like much until it's 2am and you're freezing and dying to get home :) The room itself was clean and nice. The bathroom definitely needed renovating, but the rest of the room was good. Large flat screen TV, a computer desk, arm chair and comfy bed. Overall, a very good base for your Manhattan adventure!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St? Share your experiences!