“Our second stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St

You added Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   440 West 57th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #333 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Our second stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Good location in NYC, Rooms clean and comfortable.Staff very helpfull and friendly. Hotel does look a little tired but is going through a renovation so a bit unfair to judge it on this basis. This is our second stay and would not hesitate to come back again.
Breakfast in the downstairs restaurant very nice but expensive for what you get. The waiting staff never told us there is a buffet option which is much cheaper then the a la carte menu, Go for that instead. Otherwise no complaints. Very pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Clean, comfortable. Nothing really special but the location was great, the staff friendly and the rooms clean. Good deal for the price.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

After our first experience last year, we plumped to stay at the same place because of the location - between central park and times square but away from the hustle and bustle. My children were happy from day one - room comfortable, large and far enough away from the lift! We weren't so lucky - we were next to the lift and an ice machine so the noise was really difficult to cope with - the lifts would finish about 2.30am and the clatter from the ice machine till about 3am, then then lifts would start again at about 5.30am! HOWEVER, as soon as I told the hotel, they changed my room without a second thought and we had lovely peaceful nights. Tip: if you're going to order room service, one portion is large enough for 2 - or even 3 people, and is delicious! Look forward to staying there again - but will remember to ask for a room away from the lift next time.

Room Tip: Make sure it's not near the lifts
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I checked into this hotel with expectation of staying 5 nights – When I checked in all they had was handicap accessible bathroom - not the best but I took it. Unbeknownst to me their handicap bathtub is 12 inches high so definitely no bath and shower head about 3 feet from bottom of tub – perfect if you are 2 FT 5 but unfortunately for me I’m 6’1

Also AC Barely worked – HOTEL UNDER REMODELING – Honestly not just saying it old carpet, Elevator slow and rickety – carpet worn. All o their employees smoke on door on side of building so SMOKE SMELL wafts into the lobby - may give you the impression that’s it’s a cigar bar but they don’t smoke in there just smells LIKE IT.

I lived with it through 3 night and then asked to be moved front desk asked that remove belongings from room I had to get laundry bags as my suitcase damaged and had not replaced yet - Manager told me to ask bellman he was no help pointed me in the direction of another guy who I asked for bags this guy was irritated that I asked but gave me 1 bag I told him I needed 4 bags so he slammed them on the counter I took them went to room packed my things brought them downstairs

Gave them to the bellman and he said we are not responsible for these as they are not in a suitcase I was so irritated I told him that I did not care just to take them and he told me not to get an attitude and that I was being disrespectful I brought up the that I thought they didn’t have to provide customer service because they were union – FIRST MISTAKE -
He was totally being rude, unhelpful passing the buck basically

I left but came back (I had just had my fill of bad service at this hotel) to tell the manager how unhappy I was with there service and that the bell staff were rude and in my anger called them [--] shouldn’t have said that but they honestly were sometimes even the most perfect people get pushed to their limits

Manager assured me that they would correct situation and have me in an updated room by the time I returned to hotel so I left and went to my meetings

What happened to CUSTOMER SERVICE THAT’ ANYONE PAYING $300 a night would expect? Do Holiday Inns not include in pricing? Seems odd that you wouldn’t every other hotel that I stay in does?

Is it because the staff is all UNION GUYS that only have to work at their own pace? Only do or allow certain things like using the luggage cart in the hotel? Is that UNION property? Not the Hotels? I really don’t understand and I wouldn’t consider myself slow but maybe I wear rose-colored glasses

When I returned to ask for my new room key they told me that they had made an executive decision to cancel the remaining part of my reservation and that I would have to find a new hotel when everything in NY booked

Staff Knew this would be hard as it was fleet week and everything in Manhattan booked that was less than $500 a night they knew that I could potentially be out on the streets of NY - luckily for me I wasn’t called the hotel chain that I stayed in most of the time and they took care of accommodations for remainder of stay – Lesson learned here – Stick with your Brand!!!!

I couldn’t recommend this hotel to anyone but if you do chose to stay here be prepared to possibly have to change hotels mid visit – Don’t expect ANY customer service and be warned that these guys stick together

This Hotel is at best 1.5-2.0 star Hotel

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Hereford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for our first family trip to New York. It was very handy, being close to Central Park and to many shops, restaurants and attractions. It was clean and tidy and had controllable air conditioning. Not outstanding, but a great base to explore New York. There was also a swimming pool, which was a great bonus for a New York based hotel.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

A group of 25 of us stayed at this hotel for 6 nights and not one of us has a bad word to stay. Hotel clean - rooms are huge compared to other hotels I have stayed in in NYC. Manager always around - staff so helpful - rooms clean - beds comfortable and the pillows (they give you a choice!) 10 out of 10. It baffles me why there some negative comments on here re this hotel - its just fab.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Stayed using my membership points so what can I say. I did not pay. But going by the rates of $250+ on their websites, I would not pay more than $90!

Rooms are tired and old. Large rooms, small beds. I don't get it. Holiday Inn's were known for large rooms and LARGE BEDS. I could barely fit on these with my wife next to me. Bathrooms old, showers not great. That flush, OMG, had to hold it for 5 minutes to flush. Ridiculous.

No safes in room. OLD normal TV. No flat screens. Come on, I know they do a 100% occupancy but upgrade please (saw some signs that they are changing so there is hope!!)

The bell desk charges you to keep bags (??!??) so we kept all in the room!
(We are so spoilt by the superior quality of hotels in Asia that we forget how bad and basic the same brands are in the USA) AM I REPEATING MYSELF??!!!!

(WIthout any bias, but I think the bell desk is run by the russian mob! They barely spoke English!)

Head Concierge was VERY HELPFUL and cheerful. Gave great tips.

Overall, its location is good as we walked to TImes Square often. Close to Central Park and the Mecca (Apple Store!!!)

So as the title says, stay for location only, don't expect anything else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear hipposcuba,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our concierge being helpful and cheerful.

However, It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on the bed sizes, bathroom and other room amenities. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St? Share your experiences!