“Super Pricey, not really worth it” 3 of 5 stars

Lowest Rate Anywhere!
Ranked #9 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Albany, New York
“Super Pricey, not really worth it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

There's no denying that the hotel is nice. The location is great too - between Park and Madison Ave, and near Central Park. The doorman was attentive and met our car immediately for valet parking - parking was an additional $30 for 24 hours. The lobby was very clean, and the front desk staff were efficient and pleasant. The room charge for the night was almost $600, so I was expecting some pretty luxurious accomodations. The room was nice enough, nothing spectacular or fancy - though were were treated to a complimentary bottle of wine and a box of four chocolates. My biggest problem was that the bed was less than comfortable. It was very stiff and I kind of felt like I was sleeping on cardboard. Not at all what I would have expected. Positives: clean room, free wifi, nice clean bathroom, complimentary wine, quiet room, robes, nice products (soaps and shampoos). Negatives: ugly rooftop/alley view, overpriced, crappy bed, kind of worn furniture, small tv, poor water pressure in the shower, small bathroom (I had to put my toiletries on the toilet tank as there was barely any room on the sinktop), stuffy and warm - even with air conditioner on. The "turn down service" was basically someone who came in and pulled down the shades (which, incidentally, I couldn't get to go back up the next day, so I had a dark room the entire time!). The beds were not turned down, there was no little piece of chocolate on the pillow. Sheesh. I wanted that little piece of chocolate. I really enjoyed the complimentary wine/appetizer reception though - which was offered from 5-8 pm. The wine, cheese and crackers were good and plentiful - with a very nice selection, it was a good spot to lounge with friends and was comfortable. This same area doubled as the space where the complimentary continental breakfast was held. The breakfast was average - hard boiled eggs, cereals, bagels and yogurts, coffee and teas. Again, I kind of expected more based on their description. Oh, another big negative - there is only one elevator (the elevator was really nice inside though!), and it was always busy - a bit of a wait. We didn't mind taking the stairs, but we were on the 5th floor - this might not be the best for those on higher floors. There was an attached restaurant (The Monkey Bar) - which looked really cool, nice vibe, good lighting, but unfortunately, it was also overpriced and the food was bland. Shoot, I enjoyed my stay at the Hilton Time Square so much better, and it was less than half the price!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
elysee54, General Manager at Hotel Elysee, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Jessica B,

We are sorry that your one night stay was not what you had hoped for. Admittedly, we have a distinctive Country French, traditional decor which is ideal for many travelers but clearly it sounds like the style was not a perfect match for your taste and again, I offer you my apologies. Many of our 5 star reviews come from those who are with us for more than one night and I am certain that had your stay not been so brief we would have been able to solve many of the issues you listed. For example, we could have offered you other room options that you might have preferred to the room assigned to you and we could have customized your bed to you comfort preference by topping it with a feather bed. While there is no one mattress that is perfect for all travelers, after nearly 21 years of service here, I have learned that firmer beds are the better option for pleasing the majority and we invite our guests to let us know if they would like to customize their comfort both on our website booking engine and again on an in-room card placed on the pillow. We can also provide a foam mattress topper if preferred.

Indeed, we do not offer a small piece of chocolate on the pillow at turndown but instead we place in every room on arrival a substantial 50g Leonidas Chocolate Bar, imported from Belgium along with two bottles of complimentary water and for you, as mentioned, we welcomed you with a complimentary amenity consisting of a bottle of wine and an additional four piece box of Leonidas chocolates.

For the benefit of other travelers reading this, indeed, there are a few things we cannot change so, if these are critical features for you, please consider them when making your selection. Our building was constructed in the early 1920’s and since that time, we have been eclipsed by much larger and taller buildings so not every room has a wide open view. Some guests prefer not to face the street as these rooms may be found to be more serene and I am glad to hear you did find the room to be quiet. Our bathrooms are beautiful marble units but they are small, as space is at such a premium in NYC. While we cannot change the size of the counter tops, we have provided for some shelves in the bathrooms to offer space for essentials. We do only have one guest elevator, as well as one service elevator, so it can be busy at peak times.

Regarding our complimentary continental breakfast, I do see that you stayed at our sister hotel, the Library in 2012 in a petite room and were very happy and you even mentioned how pleased you were with the selection of items for breakfast. We offer the identical selection here at the Hotel Elysée which is overseen at both hotels by the same Director of Hospitality. I am hoping you could share with me what description you were basing your expectations on for the continental breakfast. We are extremely careful to only list the items we actually offer. Our selection includes: hot oatmeal, hard-boiled eggs, fresh whole fruit and fruit salad with melon and berries, whole wheat toast, assorted croissants, mini-muffins, danish and scones, bagels with cream cheese, peanut butter, nutella, preserves and butter, fresh orange and grapefruit juice, assorted canned juices, cranberry, pineapple and V-8, assorted cereals, assorted yogurts, and a selection of international coffees and teas. If there is another description that you saw that was inaccurate, please let me know so that we have the opportunity to correct it.

I am glad that you enjoyed our gracious staff, enviable location, three hour nightly complimentary wine and hors d’oeuvres reception, free wifi, luxurious bathroom amenities, and robes. All those extras including continental breakfast, all day refreshments, free passes to any NY Sports Clubs and more are all part of our signature hospitality, since so many airlines and hotels are now adding additional charges and resort fees. With regard to procong and value, comparing one hotel’s pricing to another hotel when you stay on different dates isn’t really a fair comparison. For the very same deluxe room you stayed in, you could pay $249 on a Sunday in January, $349 for a weekend in July, $549 for a Tuesday in the Spring and $649 for the first weekend in December, the same room, the same service, the same amenities and the same experience. Despite the high cost of operating a hotel in such an amazing location in New York City, we don’t always charge the peak rates; we reduce the pricing throughout the year based on the demand for those dates. Your stay was at a peak time and on a sold out night, so there was less of a reduction from our full price. We offer a great tool on our website. It is a calendar showing the lowest rate every day, so you can see which days have the best rates available and actually plan your trips based on how to get the most value for your dollar. It is a really helpful tool for our guests and we are surprised that most hotels do not offer the same service.

Again, I am truly sorry we were unable to meet your expectations. On your next visit to the city I would be happy to handle your arrangements personally if you would be willing to give us another try or perhaps arrange for you another visit to the Library Hotel. For all of our friends on Tripadvisor, the Library Hotel Collection offers four distinct experiences in New York, each with their own unique style. As you can see with this review, although each of our hotels offer the same amenities, we are each separate and individual.

John Avina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Turkish first
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We met our adult children in NYC for a family get to together. They were somewhat concerned about the price; but after one day they were sold and loved the hotel. We hung out at breakfast to catch up. We did not have to worry about everyone getting up at the same time and going out to find a restaurant. At night we had the cheese and wine before we went to the theatre. Much better than trying to eat early and then hurry to the play; and then we went out to eat afterwards. The hotel gave everyone the type of room they wanted; dark and quiet on a lower floor and street side view on a higher floor. The staff was extremely friendly, from the breakfast and wine crew to the front desk, who recommended places with our budget in mind. The rooms are larger than normal NYC hotels. We stayed there 7 days and did not feel cramped. This was our second stay at the Elysee and we will stay there again.

Room Tip: For a quiet night choose a room on the back side away from the elevator. The view is uninspiring but...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Cape Town, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Thanks for the great stay. Will recommend to everyone.

Easy access to everything. Beautiful place to spend your time. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Everything and more you need from a hotel. This is a must for anyone traveling to NYC. My 1st trip and was great. Will return for sure

• Stayed January 2014
Glen Rock, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We spent our 25th wedding anniversary at Hotel Elysee last weekend. What a beautiful hotel, with wonderful amenities and a terrific staff! Hope I can go there again soon! The rooms are gorgeous. Also 0they have the Club Room for all guests on the 2nd floor - special little retreat with coffee, drinks, treats, etc... lovely! Perfect location in NYC. I live right outside the city - so I know it well. This is the place to stay!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Elysee is always so nice; we enjoy our yearly stay here every time. The service is always first class, the rooms comfortable, and the atmosphere unpretentious and warm. We enjoy the location near museums and shopping.

North Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

So glad I choose this hotel for my first visit to NYC. The location was absolutely perfect and I could pretty much walk every where I went including the theaters I was seeing shows at. The morning breakfast and afternoon reception were very lovely and plentiful. The wait staff were very friendly and attentive. My Junior Suite on the 14th floor (144) over looking 54th was well appointed and very comfortable. The street noise was minimal and from a distance. The linens and towels were high quality. I requested a fan and mini fridge which was accommodated without hesitation. . The front desk was helpful and made a few meal reservations for me prior to my arrival. All the recommendations were great.
The only downside was The Flying Monkey adjacent to the hotel did not serve food after 11:00 pm. A bit inconvenient if you wanted a bite to eat after the theater. All and all though it was ideal. I highly recommend the property and thoroughly enjoyed my stay and visit to NYC.

Room Tip: Junior Suite Room 114 was lovely.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

the hotel stay was a total delight with excellent service and a very caring staff. I plan to return soon. the breakfast is very well done and you won't leave without being totally satisfied. our cocktail time in the evening with friends was great prior to going out to dinner and a show. Can't wait to return next month. ww

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Hotel Elysee? Share your experiences!