“Paris in Manhattan” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 452 hotels in New York City
San Francisco, California, Usa
“Paris in Manhattan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Just returned from a 3-night stay and cant wait to return. Of all the times staying in NYC this was by far the best. Lovely European style hotel. Beautiful comfortable room. Incredible breakfast and daily wine & cheese. Professional, helpful staff. Great location and amazingly quiet for New York.

2,123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Turkish first
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

The hotel property is impeccably well-groomed; the staff from the doorman to the desk support to the housekeepers are courteous, welcoming, and provide each guest with personal service. It is fashioned in the decor of a small European-style hotel. The location allows for easy walking to many of the city's attractions, as well as a variety of restaurants. When friends ask "Where should we stay in New York City?," my answer is always the Hotel Elysee. The Hotel Elysee has been my go-to hotel for many years, and I have never had a disappointing or unpleasant experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hamilton, Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We loved the intimacy of this hotel and the staff are so gracious and really take care of you. We particularly enjoyed our lovely balcony.
The room has everything one needs like a desk, plenty of hangers and is really comfortable in every way. Perhaps the only criticism would be the size of the bathroom which was fairly small. However we will return!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I booked this hotel having used trip advisor reviews.
I was very disappointed.
The location of the hotel is excellent but the staff are not helpful and it is far too expensive for what it offers.
Upon check in, I was made to pay for the entire stay upfront which was contrary to my reservation and confirmations I'd received from the hotel. They then charged me an additional USD $50 a night just in case I used anything from the mini bar. This all added up and was quite expensive and annoying having flown half way around the world to meet an unexpected demand that made me feel like they thought I was going to skip out or perhaps I looked like I couldn't afford to pay - flying for 28 hours may do that.
When I checked out, I had to chase to get the USD $50 a night refunded to which I was told would be refunded over the coming days. NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!!!!
Breakfast is boring with cereal and bagels every morning. No option of hot food or variety. There is not enough space to accommodate guests at breakfast so you find yourself standing to wait, sitting with strangers or eating in the elevator area where there is a couch. There are 13 floors of room (level 3 to 15) and only 15 actual spots to sit and eat breakfast (I counted them out of frustration). Ridiculous when you are paying USD $600 a night.
There is also only one lift which is slow and busy. Don't be in a rush for anything. Apparently lower floors are too lazy to use the stairs between level 3 and level 2.
The rooms are nice and comfortable. Air conditioning in the rooms is old and sounds like a jet plane taking off so you can't sleep with the air conditioning on which is difficult as the rooms get stuffy.
The mini bar is ridiculous. There is an actual note in the room to not use the refrigerator for anything else and that it is electronically monitored. Made me feel like I was in a backpackers/prison rather than a 5 star hotel.
This is NOT a good hotel for tourists. No information, maps, brochures or any assistance offered whatsoever. I had to figure it out on my own.
This hotel is not worth the expense. You can stay at any of the other big hotels - Hilton, Sheraton,
Intercontinental etc for a fraction of the price, reward points and better service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
elysee54, General Manager at Hotel Elysee, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Chanelno 18,

It is very rare that we come across such a disappointing review such as yours. Let me begin with an apology for the exorbitant hold for incidentals placed on your credit card upon arrival. You are correct. Typically, we hold $50.00 per night for incidentals, which is a standard credit procedure for the industry. We agree a $550.00 hold for incidentals for your eleven nights stay was excessive and unnecessary; however, as my staff and I tried to explain while you were here, you were not made to pay for your incidentals nor your entire stay upfront. If you recall, I happened to stop by the hotel on Saturday and overheard your conversation with my Manager on Duty. I intervened in an attempt to explain the hospitality industry’s procedure to you and your companion but it seems that I was unsuccessful. I do hope my explanation now will set you at ease and more importantly, I hope it will benefit future travelers and our friends within the TripAdvisor community. It is standard practice for any hotel to secure some form of payment or credit card authorization from each guest. With the advent of credit cards, guests are no longer required to mail in deposits and present the balance in cash at check-in. In your case you booked an 11 night stay via our TripAdvisor promo code which is our best promotion, offered to TripAdvisor members exclusively on our own website. In your case, when you presented your credit card, we calculated your average rate of $517.00 per night and the daily tax of approximately 15%, plus $50.00 per day for incidentals. We swiped your card, requesting an authorization from your financial institution for that amount, which was approved and a hold was put in place, not a charge. This transaction placed on your card simply reserves for us an appropriate amount for any and all charges posted to your bill. At check-out, if your actual charges are lower than what we authorized, your financial institution releases the remaining hold on your credit limit. This saves travelers the embarrassment and stress if one failed to keep track of their spending while enjoying New York only to find out at checkout that there was no available credit to cover one’s stay. Furthermore, this system of securing a hold has made it easier for guests to avail themselves of express checkout and it has eliminated the burden of international travelers having to surrender their passports. I hope this information was helpful and informative and hopefully a benefit to future travelers. This information is also covered on our website in the FAQ section but if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Regarding your experience in the Clubroom, there are actually places for 53 persons to sit in 15 sitting areas and I ask anyone to visit our website and review the many wonderful pictures of our Clubroom and Library. It is a very popular amenity and in fairness there are times when it can be busy. While I can appreciate that some travelers like yourself may prefer to be seated at private tables and order from a menu at an additional charge as you would in a restaurant; however, our hotel is known for its signature Clubroom concept where an inviting space encourages guests to make themselves at home and interact with one another while mutually enjoying not only breakfast but all day refreshments including coffee, teas, cookies, fruits and pastries and our three hour wine and cheese reception each evening. These amenities are in place to enhance your stay, not limit your options. I can imagine that even at the finest restaurant, breakfast for 11 days in a row at the same place might lose its appeal. Over the course of such a long stay, we do know that most of our guests will go out for breakfast periodically to experience some of the wonderful and tantalizing breakfasts and brunches available in New York City. We are surrounded by many restaurants, both high end and budget oriented, which any of our Concierge’s would have been happy to help you choose. Nowhere do we advertise or claim to offer complimentary hot meals. Our Guest Service Agents give out about 10-15 maps each day and supply dozens of brochures for a variety of tourist attractions and museums each week, so I can only imagine you expected them to be displayed publicly? We are not the type of hotel to display these items in the lobby or in guest rooms; however, any of the items you mentioned could have been provided by any staff member. Indeed, the signage on the mini bar is there to warn guests that if they handle any item, it will appear as a charge on their bill. Mini-refrigerators are available upon request. Other guests have also indicated that they also prefer a mini refrigerator in our rooms so we are currently evaluating the prospect of purchasing them in addition to or instead of the mini bars. Always, we would love to hear from travelers how we may be of better service to our guests.

John Avina
Manchester,UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This hotel is a real gem. This was our first change from large corporate hotels and it really was worth it. For our 10 day stay we booked a king suite and requested a quiet room. We were given a suite on the 11th floor at the rear and this was probably the quietest room we have ever stayed in in New York in 30 years. Yes maybe a small bathroom but well appointed with good storage space. The complementary breakfast each morning was excellent and the staff very friendly. The only downside is the people who will sit reading their newspapers and drinking coffee after breakfast with no regard to other people wanting tables. I thought slightly selfish. The ability to use the lounge and have coffee etc at any time was a distinct advantage. The drinks and hors d'oeuvres in the evening is a welcome addition. Very friendly and attentive staff you really felt as though you belong. This is now on our Hotel return to list.

Room Tip: High floor and rear for quiet rooms
napa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed for six days in September. We really like the location - the rooms are very nice and the staff is great. The breakfast and the wine and snacks in the evening are also very well done. We will be back.

Baltimore, Maryland, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Nothing negative to say about this hotel. Everyone on this staff is outstanding. Helpful, friendly and responsive. Although my wife and I had just enjoyed a stay at The Four Seasons in Nevis, Hotel Elysee staff even exceeded our Nevis trip.

Room Tip: By NY standards the rooms are very good. Before you book call them and discuss the size of the room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Elysee? Share your experiences!