“Great hotel in a great location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Lowest Rate Anywhere!
Ranked #9 of 459 Hotels in New York City
North Vancouver
“Great hotel in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is a delightful hotel with character! The location was perfect for us. The entire staff was so friendly, going out of their way to make sure your stay is lovely. I loved the complimentary, and I will add generous, happy hours in the club lounge.The king suite room was spacious and the bed comfortable. Our room, 8th floor on the back was very quiet, while a couple on the same floor, front, said theirs was noisy. The back side rooms look onto the brick wall of the building behind. The only reason I did not give a rating of 5 is that the antique furnishings were a little worn. However, the room and furnishings were impeccably clean and had the antiques been in pristine condition, the room rates would have had to be sky high to compensate for their value. Please understand that I am being quite picky here, as I truly loved my whole experience at Hotel Elysee. Could I give it a 4.99 out of 5?

Room Tip: Back side if you want quiet, front if you don't want to be looking at a brick wall
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Turkish first
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I also felt back for not writing the review staying at Elysee and wanted to thank the young men working tiredlessly at the front desk. This property will take you back in time when mere mortal could not afford such luxury.. The Lounge there is what you find in country clubs if you have never been a member of one. The furnishings are probably the last you will see of that era and only will find at this hotel.

The only one caveat was that II was planning one night stay, but prior to booking I written to the manager to confirm to me via email if I will have a room with balcony and if confirmed then I book 2 nights, but if cannot be confirmed then I was going to book only one night.

I received a pleasant email from the manager confirming the room with balcony, but upon my arrival and even though I had confirmation and even though the room with balcony was available I was placed in the room without balcony because the rooms with balcony were held for other guests. My room had no view and was dark. I thought that it was unprecedented.

I am only giving this hotel 5 stars because this is the only remnant opportunity of going back in to the past and finding yourself in rococo a style of decoration refined with its elegance.

Room Tip: You can put in your preferences, but they will be ignored even if you secure and your confirmation i...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Bonn, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I booked the hotel because of the excellent ratings. The pre-mail-traffic was nice and seemed to be efficient. We had two rooms: one for my husband's daughter and her daughter and a suite for us. Both rooms were next to another which was nice. As we choose to stay longer to enjoy independence day and the fireworks I extended both rooms for 3/4 nights so overall we stayed there for 10/11 nights. We very much enjoyed the lounge and the service people there, all friendly, very helpful and efficient. Though breakfast is limited from an European point of view we enjoyed it very much as well as the afternoons with wine and cheese. It was also a nice touch to get a bottle of their house red (nice wine) and Leonidas chocolate.
Now to the negative:
1. We love suites but we do not like king beds. Therefore I always ask upfront for rearanging the bed with two seperate cover sheets. This is usually no problem. When we arrived the bed was not done as requested. The head maid showed up (very unfriendly) and she could not care less about my request. In the evening two very professional maids came and within minutes everything was done. Fine. After 9 nights a new maid (it seems they change every day) obviously not aware of this arrangement changed everything and we had once again to 'fight' for our two seperate cover sheets. It might very well be that she was not informed that we stayed longer than intended in the room.
2. Rooms to the backfront are very, very noisy. This was due to the fact that exhaustors of the air condition of the opposite building were running night and day. So even if you shut off the very noisy air condition in the room you had the ongoing noise from outside. Due to this the rooms should come with a considerable rebate on the price (which of course they don't).
3. Room change - due to our extension we had to change rooms on our last day. A suite was not available. To make things easy I asked to move to the room next door where our relatives had stayed. This would have made things very easy for ourselves- just bring all stuff next door and thats it. I was told that we would get a better room and the move would be no problem (besides the fact that we had to pack everything then). So I waited for the 'better' room. We waited until 14.30 o'clock that day only to understand that we move next door. Reason for that: the better room was still occupied with the previous guest who did not leave as planned......I was pretty annoyed about that. Not had we only lost half a day but we could also not show off our relatives at Grand Central, which was sad. Of course we were told we could leave everything in the room. But my husband hates to leave his luggage unattended so we had to wait instead. We got an apology and a refund of 40 $ for this - o.k.
4. Laundry - laundry was picked up on a sunday at my request. I knew it would only return the following day. Nothing happened. In the evening of the next day I made a call to understand where my laundry could have been. Only then it was delivered to the room. While I understand that all service people are in the tipping business this seems to be a bit overdone.
5. Limousine service - I requested a limousine transfer after the fireworks from Pier 61 where our boat was. Inbetween the cruise line informed us that streets in the area would be closed down so that cars would not be allowed to go there. This was a difficult matter for me as my husband of 84 can hardly walk long distances. I discussed the matter various times with different people at the counter to better understand what the closure really meant and how this would influence the limousine transfer. They were clueless. At one stage I was told our names had been given to the security staff to smoothen our way to the boat. Then I learned that there was a limousine pick up right from the pier. Therefore I asked to cancel the limousine I had booked via the hotel two days prior to the event. They were absoluteley reluctant to do so and explained that everything would be o.k., there would be no road blocks and somebody would be at the pier with a name tag for easy identification. That was again confirmed the day before the fireworks. In reality there was no car at Pier 61, we waited there for 30 minutes and checked the area where the car could have parked (area was still closed for access). After that our long way back started with my husband struggeling meter by meter to get to the subway as taxis were not available at that part of the city. It took us 1.5 hour to get home and this was not due to the traffic. The next day I found a phone message on my mailbox of my blackberry (had come in at 0.45 o'clock when we were on our journey back) and somebody informed me that they would only be able to get to the 8th avenue and I should give them a call if I was still interested in the pick-up. I spoke at least 5times with 5 different people about my request for the pier lift and nobody was in fact able to check this out beforehand and obviously what I was told was just made up for me. I found it interesting that nobody asked me the other day if everything went well that night in view of the various discussions I had.
5. Bill - checking in I informed at once about the fact that I would pay for both rooms. It was taken note of and it looked as if this was put into the computer. 6 days later I wanted to verify this and talk to another person at the counter, he looked it up in the computer could not find anything and confirmed that this now was clear. The day our relatives left I went back again to ensure this and to my embarrassement I understood that they had nevertheless been presented with the invoice. She had to mention that I would pay it......
Resumee: too many people involved and nobody who is in the complete picture. The daily routine is o.k. but beyond that they struggle. I have never seen such a lot of different people running around as in this small hotel, numerous counter people, numerous maids and at least 3 head maids within the 11 days we stayed there. Perhaps that is the problem. And: beware of the rooms to the back!
Otherwise nice hotel and yes if room 145 is available I would come back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
elysee54, General Manager at Hotel Elysee, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Jutta E.,

Thank you very much for your forthright review. The communication issues you were kind enough to detail for us will aide me in improving communication among the staff and to benefit future travelers. Above all, I am pleased to hear you would return despite the challenges you mentioned in your review. It was nice to read your feedback on your reservation experience, the location of your rooms and the welcome amenity we left for you. Also, we are especially proud of our signature gratis amenity – our Clubroom, where we serve a generous Continental Breakfast and our evening wine and hors d’oeuvres service, so thank you for mentioning how pleased you were by the friendly and efficient service you received. Your comment that it is limited from a European point of view has been taken under consideration, as it has been mentioned before by previous guests; however, for the vast majority of our travelers this is a generous offering as all day complimentary refreshments including Continental breakfast and a three hour wine and hors d’oeuvres reception each evening is extremely rare for New York City. The standard breakfast buffet may be common in Germany, so for the benefit of other German tourists reading this, here is exactly what you can expect: hard boiled eggs, yogurts, hot oatmeal, bagels, a selection of cereals, assorted danish, scones, and muffins, butter, cream cheese, peanut butter, nutella and jams, fresh whole fruits and fresh fruit salad, a selection of international coffees, teas and juices. The evening wine and hors d’oeuvres reception offers Prosecco a selection of fine wines, imported and domestic cheeses, fresh bread, crackers, and crudités for three hours each evening.

I do see on your reservation notes you asked for separate cover sheets. Unfortunately, we did not interpret this correctly which is why upon your arrival you found the bed made in its usual manner. Unfortunately, we did not interpret this correctly and for that I apologize. I have shared this with our reservation's team to avoid any future misunderstanding for guests wishing to have the King Bed made as two twins. Your call was answered by my Executive Housekeeper, who arrived personally to resolve the matter. She mentioned you were extremely upset and that you wanted the bed remade to your liking. She asked you if it could be done after 4:00 p.m. and you agreed. I am unsure why you interpreted your encounter with her as unfriendly and uncaring but again I do offer my apologies if you felt that you were not made to feel comfortable and at home with us. You are correct on your last night in the suite, your request to have the bed made up separately was not passed on to the Room Attendant who serviced your room. I am working with my Executive Housekeeper to develop a system so no future guests will have to be as inconvenienced as you were.

We love this city but we all know that New York can seem loud to persons from rural environs or small towns that is why we have developed our Escape to Serenity Sleep Program. On each bed we place a card describing the program in great detail, providing items like ear plugs or SoundSpas that provide soothing sounds of nature, like rain or ocean waves or SleepPhones which act like pajamas for your ears, that block noise and play soothing music. I have checked thoroughly and according to our records, at no time during your stay did you mention noise as a factor. Had you mentioned this we would have gladly accommodated you on a higher floor or on the back of the hotel as well as provided you with any of the sleep amenities mentioned above.

My apologies for your frustration with the handling of your room move on your last night. We were delighted that you changed your plans and decided to stay with us a few more days. You are correct; the easiest solution would have been to move you into your relatives’ room; however, at that time it was not an option as it was blocked for someone else with a previous reservation. With only a few rooms with two double sized beds it can be a challenge to accommodate requests like yours when we are sold out. Admittedly, it was our mistake to mention a specific room number to you, especially since it led to such disappointment when our other guest changed his plans and decided to stay, just as you did. You are correct, my agent called at 2:30 p.m. to perform your room move, and at that time we had, through great effort, cleared the use of your relatives’ room. My Manager on Duty telephoned you because my agent described to him how upset you were at getting the room your originally wanted and that you had been waiting there all this time, when you could have, as you mentioned, simply placed all of your belongings next door and went about your day. As you may know, check out time is 1:00 p.m. shortly after this time we discovered the room we had set for you was unpacked, meaning still occupied. To prevent further delay, we rearranged our room blocks in order to make a room available to you immediately. Had we not disclosed the room on the 13th floor in the first place, this disappointment would not have transpired, since you were expecting a better room on the 13th floor. We were truly trying to help you and since you did have the option of leaving your items in the suite or storing them in our safe room, I don't think we can feel responsible for interrupting your day. At the completion of your conversation with my Manager on Duty, despite the circumstances you seemed satisfied.

Indeed, your laundry was returned to you on Monday afternoon and placed in your closet by one of my bell staff. It is a common practice of many American hotels to place laundry returned on hangars to the closet. I am sorry if this caused you any worry.

I am saddened and dismayed at your experience with our car service for your pick up at Pier 61 on July 4th. To my knowledge the car booked by my desk agent to bring you back to the hotel was aware of the street closures due to the fireworks. You are correct, the call you received was from the car service informing you that they could only reach as far west as Eighth Ave. I wish you could have called the hotel to give us the opportunity to help in any way possible as it was distressing to hear how difficult your journey was back to the hotel.

At the time of booking, you did prepay both rooms and you were only responsible for the charges remaining for the extended nights and the desk was aware of your wishes to pay for your relatives’ room. Unfortunately, your relative approached the desk and spoke to the same Manager on Duty with whom you dealt with regarding your room move. As you know, her command of English was not as good as yours. She stated, I pay rest. My Manager on Duty explained to her that you were taking care of her charges and she vehemently insisted on paying herself. I am sorry this caused you any sort of distress or embarrassment but I personally have been put in this exact situation in my capacity as General Manager and I can tell you it is very difficult if not impossible not to honor the sentiment and wishes of someone wanting to pay their own way. You seem intent on believing we were not aware of your wishes to pay, on the contrary at no time did your request in this instance get misconstrued.
I do hope I have adequately addressed your frustration and some of your points were well taken and will help us to improve communication among each other and within each department. Ich habe unsere Unterhaltung sehr genossen und es gab mir auch die Möglichkeit mein Deutsch zu üben. Ich hoffe, daß Sie sich persönlich bei mir melden werden, sollten Sie einen weiteren Aufenthalt planen. Es wäre mir dann ein Vergnügen, Ihre Reservierung abzuwickeln, um sicherzustellen, daß Ihr nächster Besuch ein voller Erfolg wird.

John Avina
Nottingham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Having stayed in many NYC hotels, I can say with confidence that the front desk is one of the friendliest group of folks in the city. The are very pleasant, helpful and make you feel truly welcome which actually sets a great mood for your stay.

The Club Room is nice. Fresh squeezed juice, bagels, oatmeal, fresh fruit etc.in the morning and Robert Mondavi wines, cheeses and vegetables in the evening. Plenty of food and a warm, inviting setting to eat it in.

Yes, the hotel is more classic as opposed to brand new, but the beds are comfy, everything is clean and the location cant be beat. Can you find better? Yes, but you will certainly pay at least 2x what Elysee costs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our family spent three nights in this well located, highly rated hotel. Consistent with most other reviews we found the staff to be friendly and the rooms to be a good size. However just in case you have read many of the glowing reviews and are hoping to have your socks knocked off, be aware that this is a basic hotel with some but not many full service offerings. For example:
1. One of our rooms was not ready at check-in time and we had to wait 45mins to have access to it;
2. The concierge service was friendly but less than efficient (perhaps we got someone who was new), Booking tickets to a a play took too long and we had to remind the front desk a few times to print out our tickets.
3. Breakfast/hor d'oeuvres were adequate at best.
4. The beds are somewhat creaky
5. You can hear room conversations in hallway...all the way to the elevator.
Midtown NYC offers so many hotel choices that I find it hard to believe that this is one of the best out there. My search for the best value/service combination continues!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
elysee54, General Manager at Hotel Elysee, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Flowzat,
It was a pleasure reading the positive aspects you enjoyed about your recent stay. Thank you for especially mentioning our friendly staff and the size of our rooms. Though we strive to knock everyone’s socks off, we seem to have failed you.

Regarding your check-in, you are correct and sadly only your suite was available when you checked in at 3:15pm. Our records show your second room becoming available at 3:40pm. Since you booked connecting rooms, our flexibility became limited and we were therefore unable to offer a comparable room upon your arrival and for this we apologize.

All of our Guest Service Agents are capable of fulfilling all Concierge services. True, you were assisted by our most recent hire. She did let me know that you requested tickets for a show on Tuesday evening upon your arrival on Saturday. These tickets were available on Telecharge and she proceeded with the transaction to avoid the surcharge a broker would impose on obtaining the exact same tickets. Processing tickets on Telecharge can take up to 24 hours. My agent did admit not explaining this to you and I hope you will accept my apologies. Unfortunately, Telecharge encountered a problem with your order which was promptly discovered the following morning and cleared up by the same agent assisting you. Unfortunately, this did delay their processing. The tickets were then printed and handed to you on Monday, well before your show on Tuesday evening. Again, please accept my apologies if this caused you any distress.

I am sorry if the complimentary amenities were not what you had hoped for. We strive to describe them in detail on our website to be as authentic as possible. While our complimentary continental breakfast and complimentary three hour wine and hors d’oeuvres reception every evening may not be extravagant, each offers more than what any of our local competitors offer, except of course for our sister hotels. When considering the value of our competitors, it is not unheard of to pay $60 or more for a room service continental breakfast for two or $30 for two glasses of wine per couple at other hotels. For this reason, most of our guests find our complimentary breakfast and wine and hors d’oeuvres service remarkable. For our continental breakfast we offer: hard boiled eggs, yogurts, hot oatmeal, bagels, a selection of cereals, assorted Danish, scones, and muffins, butter, cream cheese, peanut butter, nutella and jams, fresh whole fruits and fresh fruit salad, a selection of international coffees, teas and juices. The evening wine and hors d’oeuvres reception offers Prosecco, a selection of fine wines, imported and domestic cheeses, fresh bread, crackers, and crudités for three hours each evening.

I inspected both your rooms with my Engineer and we were unable to replicate the squeaking noise you mentioned. Lastly, I apologize for the disturbances you experienced from the hallway but thank you for sharing your perspective. Thanks to your feedback we are in the midst of insulating each guest room door frame, so as to make them as soundproof as possible. This exact process has proven to be a great success at our sister property, the Casablanca Hotel.

We sincerely hope you might reconsider us for your next visit and I do hope you will give us a second chance. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

John Avina
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Everything about this hotel was wonderful. The location, as everyone says, is very convenient. The hotel is well-run by courteous and helpful staff. The rooms are beautiful and surprisingly large for a Manhattan room (having had my share of experiences with hotels charging $400-500 for glorified closets, this was a nice change). No gym on site, but the hotel offers complimentary passes to the NY Sports Club just a quick walk away. Lots of attention to the small details and amenities that separate the great hotels from the good ones. Would absolutely stay at this beautiful hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stay at the Hotel Elysees whenever we visit New York City. It feels more like a European boutique hotel than a US property. Even most of the clients are foreigners and we hear different languages being spoken throughout our stays. The complimentary breakfast and snacks throughout the day are a great perk. Also, the mid-town location cannot be beat. Each room is decorated a bit differently, so definitely ask about the options when booking.

Room Tip: Book a higher floor away from the street noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Elysee? Share your experiences!